The Student Room Group

Summer placement or year in industry?

I have been offered a placement year, however, I am now debating if it would be better if I just do a summer placement instead as the responsibility given would be pretty much the same and also I would't lose a year of studying. What are you guys' thoughts on this?
Reply 1
Original post by as00439
I have been offered a placement year, however, I am now debating if it would be better if I just do a summer placement instead as the responsibility given would be pretty much the same and also I would't lose a year of studying. What are you guys' thoughts on this?

Don't think of it like you're losing a year of studying. You're just postponing it for a year. I'd personally do the year placement and enjoy your summer holiday. A years placement will look better on the CV, plus it will increase your chances of getting that company to sponsor you, not to mention the fact that it can go towards your chartered status. Hope this helps.
Reply 2
A year in industry would probably be more beneficial - You'll simply have more experience. I've not heard of places giving major responsibilities to summer candidates simply because there isn't enough time to follow it through to the end. A year in industry would still give you a lot more experience and things to work on.

The company may also offer you a job, which is something not typically handed out to summer placement staff.

My university reckons doing a year in industry will, on average, give you the skills to improve your overall degree classification by an entire grade. You could still do some study while working (preparing for final year modules) and perhaps carry on your project as a final year project with the university - The company may support you for this.
It's not really going to make much of a difference as experience is experience. Companies don't typically discriminate between a year's placement or a summer placement.

Quick Reply

Latest