The Student Room Group

How important is a year in industry for Maths?

I always figured a year in industry during your degree was pretty important for gaining experience, etc.

However, for Maths, neither Imperial, nor UCL, offer an opportunity to have a year in industry.

Is it that important? Because it's slightly putting me off both of the above.
Original post by AnotherStudent!
I always figured a year in industry during your degree was pretty important for gaining experience, etc.

However, for Maths, neither Imperial, nor UCL, offer an opportunity to have a year in industry.

Is it that important? Because it's slightly putting me off both of the above.

Hi!

I study maths and have just finished my year in industry. I really enjoyed my placement (I worked as a statistician) and it was a great way to gain experience as well as start building a network. It was also a great opportunity to learn more about what career options are out there for a maths graduate, leaving me more confident about my future career. However, I wouldn't let this put you off other unis that don't offer year-in-industry programs as you could look for internships during your summers and gain lots of experience that way too!

Hope this helps! :smile:
Florence (Lancaster University student ambassador)
If you want to gain experience, etc. then you should apply for a year in industry. However, it's not totally advantageous as you will have to spend an extra year to get your degree. In addition, you may find the differences between the universities are more important than being able to have a year in industry.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest