The Student Room Group

Should Millwall FC be banned from Football?

Poll

Should Millwall FC be banned from the Football league?

Hi, I've posted this thread on Chat and not in the sports section as I believe that the actions of the Millwall fans at Wembley yesterday were not just a disgrace to the reputation of British football, but a disgrace to the reputation of the entir country. With such shocking images being beamed around the world becoming all too associated with Millwall FC, should they be banished from the Ffootball league, as quite clearly they are unable to control the small minority of thugs which call themselves fans of Millwall, which are detrimental to the reputation of the entire country.
Reply 1
doubt anyone cares
Under new FA rules of evicting entire sections of the stadium if someone is unruly, I think enough innocent fans will be punished as it is.

To be honest, compared to Italian football fans they're saints. They won't get blanket banned. It was disgusting, and I think more disgusting was the police choosing not to get involved meaning the perpetrators won't be getting prison sentences.
Reply 3
Simply no... I'm a West Ham fan ( so you I'm trying my best not to be biased) Some of Millwall fans are right *****. But there are normal people who try and take there kids to a game, what happened I think was the allowing of General Sale of tickets. Many clubs try not to have general sale as they fear this is an easy way in for trouble makers, police should 100% try and identify everyone who was involved in the violence and ban them for life, many there were just trying to have a day out a minority had spoiled it. We don't need to go back to the 80's. Millwall owners have tried hard to clamp down on this sort of behavior so respect to them, but each team is going to have there fair share of idiots.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Pendulum3
Simply no... I'm a West Ham fan ( so you I'm trying my best not to be biased) Some of Millwall fans are right *****. But there are normal people who try and take there kids to a game, what happened I think was the allowing of General Sale of tickets. Many clubs try not to have general sale as they fear this is an easy way in for trouble makers, police should 100% try and identify everyone who was involved in the violence and ban them for life, many there were just trying to have a day out a minority had spoiled it. We don't need to go back to the 80's. Millwall owners have tried hard to clamp down on this sort of behavior so respect to them, but each team is going to have there fair share of idiots.

This, effectively. Yes, the behaviour of some fans was disgraceful but banning the whole team would be akin to opening a walnut with a sledgehammer. Fir every hooligan, there are several fans like the guy who was on the radio yesterday, who'd taken his daughter to the game and she'd ended up in tears from what she witnessed. And more to the point, the club can't control who supports them. Yes, there are some steps they can take to stop the wrong kinds of people getting in to the game, but when people are that determined to cause trouble there ultimately won't be much you can do to stop them. Pendulum's point about general sale, as above, is also a good one - because the game was massively undersold the FA started flogging tickets directly without any possibility of input from the club to keep out hooligans.

So yeah, don't ban Millwall.

Quick Reply

Latest