The Student Room Group

English Language GCSE

Can anyone give any tips on how to answer each question in the English language paper?
I know the basics like Q1- describe the text Q2-presentational features ect
but i'm on a B+ and really need to get an A in my summer exam

Reply 1
Hey :smile: I'm year 13 and used to tutor people in GCSE English language. It's hard to say without seeing how you've done in past papers, but the main thing I would say is think about timing for each question. It's usually 1.5 minutes a mark so if question one is 6 marks for example you want to spend approx 9 minutes. Also, taking a highlighter pen in is good as you can annotate presentational devices/language techniques in the text as you go along to make it easier when you answer the question. There's also the issue of making sure you are analytical in your response- e.g. if there's a question asking how language is used you must give a quote, technique, and say why it's effective in context with the text's purpose. But yeah, generally I would say practise is the key to doing well- do past papers and read the mark scheme, and also read wider media so you are familiar with the articles etc you might come across in the exam. Good luck! xx
Reply 2
Original post by daisywaisys
Hey :smile: I'm year 13 and used to tutor people in GCSE English language. It's hard to say without seeing how you've done in past papers, but the main thing I would say is think about timing for each question. It's usually 1.5 minutes a mark so if question one is 6 marks for example you want to spend approx 9 minutes. Also, taking a highlighter pen in is good as you can annotate presentational devices/language techniques in the text as you go along to make it easier when you answer the question. There's also the issue of making sure you are analytical in your response- e.g. if there's a question asking how language is used you must give a quote, technique, and say why it's effective in context with the text's purpose. But yeah, generally I would say practise is the key to doing well- do past papers and read the mark scheme, and also read wider media so you are familiar with the articles etc you might come across in the exam. Good luck! xx

Thank you! :smile: xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending