The Student Room Group

Which A-Level to drop?

At the moment I'm doing biology,chemistry, english lit, ancient history, critical thinking and general studies.

I'm definitely keeping bio and chem and i have to do general studies. I know im going to drop critical thinking because i loathe it. but should i keep english or history? i enjoy both and am getting As in them so i cant choose.

also in the future i want a pharmacy career and neither are particularly relevant to my career which makes it harder.

what do you think?
Do whichever one you do better in at AS level/enjoy more
Reply 2
You do not have to drop either, and you will always have the option of dropping one at a later date if things go badly.

Having more A levels may be a bonus. I know that in general the grades for pharmacy are quite high, so to have more options and opportunities to get the grades you need may improve you chances of getting into University (although conversely you do not want to be overworked and get stressed). It's not an easy call, and you will have to be sensible and realistic about what is best for you.

If you do decide to drop one of English and History then I would go with the one you enjoy least of the two. If you have no preference there then it would be most sensible to drop the most work-intensive subject (which I am guessing would be History).
Reply 3
I don't personally do history or English, but obviously they're both very intensive essay based subjects... I doubt it will really matter which one you drop, it's more about your preference. Ask your tutors what the A2 course is all about and have a think which you will find more interesting:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does your college allow you to keep them both? We had the option to keep all our subjects on for the first half term of A2s (the half term just before the summer holidays) to help us decide which to drop as well as allow us to wait until after results day to make any decisions. You could always keep them both on after this and do 4A2s if you're really stuck, it's unlikely that many unis will give you an offer based on all 4 so you could basically have a back up A level in case anything goes wrong, and unis would probably look favourably upon applicants doing more work and exploring a wider range of interests rather than someone with just the basic 3A2s.
Reply 5
I'd just *marginally* suggest keep History if you want to do Pharmacy, just because it gives you more of a chance to show you can take an evidence-based approach than English does. Both are great subjects though, and kudos for As in both!
Reply 6
This is great advice thank you! I definetley will talk to my tutors and maybe even keep all four as I'm sure I could deal with the work

Original post by dragonkeeper999
Does your college allow you to keep them both? We had the option to keep all our subjects on for the first half term of A2s (the half term just before the summer holidays) to help us decide which to drop as well as allow us to wait until after results day to make any decisions. You could always keep them both on after this and do 4A2s if you're really stuck, it's unlikely that many unis will give you an offer based on all 4 so you could basically have a back up A level in case anything goes wrong, and unis would probably look favourably upon applicants doing more work and exploring a wider range of interests rather than someone with just the basic 3A2s.

Yes it does, in fact after our summer exams we start next years work for a month so ill get the chance to see what topics ill do next year
Original post by seanbolton94
This is great advice thank you! I definetley will talk to my tutors and maybe even keep all four as I'm sure I could deal with the work

Yes it does, in fact after our summer exams we start next years work for a month so ill get the chance to see what topics ill do next year

That's exactly what we do, it's definitely useful :smile:
Speak to your teachers about doing them all, you could always drop one if you do find you are really struggling later.

Quick Reply

Latest