The Student Room Group

English Frank's 'racist' comment. Thoughts?

I'm sure many of the grime/UK rap fans are familiar with English Frank. At a 'Hip Hop Is Dead' gig, headlined by Akala, featuring Black The Ripper too, he called a security guard a 'dumb African'. As a big fan of English Frank, I found it quite sad that he'd say something as stupid as this. It seems he was drunk but that's not an excuse and I do think it's been blown out of proportion. Here's the vid of his comment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8unWyR_fXxc&feature=youtu.be

And his apology:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxbCn5O10tk&feature=youtu.be

What are your thoughts on his comment?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Well, if the man was African, it's no more racist than the name "English Frank"
Reply 2
It's ridiculous. I was there covering the night and Frank was having banter with the acts all night. Everyone says borderline things among friends. Why should a man be judged by a single comment? If time after time he went around referring derogatively to people because of their race then I would put my hands up and say 'yeah, he's racist' but he doesn't.

If the bouncer was Polish and EF said "He won't let the act in because he's stupid because he's Polish" nobody would have batted an eyelid. It's double standards.

Personally I think it's someone with a grudge that has spread the video now. It happened two months ago and it only becomes big a few days before the next event? I'm not one for conspiracies but, suspicious if you ask me.
Original post by ynwa05
It's ridiculous. I was there covering the night and Frank was having banter with the acts all night. Everyone says borderline things among friends. Why should a man be judged by a single comment? If time after time he went around referring derogatively to people because of their race then I would put my hands up and say 'yeah, he's racist' but he doesn't.

If the bouncer was Polish and EF said "He won't let the act in because he's stupid because he's Polish" nobody would have batted an eyelid. It's double standards.

Personally I think it's someone with a grudge that has spread the video now. It happened two months ago and it only becomes big a few days before the next event? I'm not one for conspiracies but, suspicious if you ask me.

Thank you! I love Frank but it was a rash comment and he was obviously drunk. I guess it's the fact he said he said it in front of a predominantly black audience and when he was right next to Akala and BTR.
Reply 4
Original post by Pavzky
Thank you! I love Frank but it was a rash comment and he was obviously drunk. I guess it's the fact he said he said it in front of a predominantly black audience and when he was right next to Akala and BTR.

I'm sure if people were outraged on the night by it so much they coulda confronted him since he and the acts were in the audience for a lot of the show. It just looks like a bandwagon thing. By Thursday everyone will have forgotten about it.

I'm sure if the acts thought he was a racist too they wouldn't return to play at Saturdays event.
Original post by ynwa05
I'm sure if people were outraged on the night by it so much they coulda confronted him since he and the acts were in the audience for a lot of the show. It just looks like a bandwagon thing. By Thursday everyone will have forgotten about it.

I'm sure if the acts thought he was a racist too they wouldn't return to play at Saturdays event.

Yep. I've seen so many people (mainly on Twitter) come out saying Frank's racist etc. I guarantee half of them have never listened to/heard of him. If they listened to his music, watched even one of his interviews, their thoughts on him would be different.
The beef it caused on twitter today was more interesting than the actuall incident
Reply 7
If there is anything in the news concerning racism it should be the comments of Fox News presenter Erik Rush.
Reply 8
The thing is Frank was brought up in an environment that was predominantly black, but west indian black, his babysitter was a Caribbean lady and most of his mates are Jamaican. Now don't get me wrong but really just by the way he talks he sounds like a black Caribbean guy. What does that mean, well it means his whole life he has been influenced by the west indian culture and assimilated into it and there is well know animosity between the two groups, Now due to Franks upbringing and his mates he has also inherited this bias I believe and this is all we saw, except he is still white skinned so therefore its not acceptable
(edited 7 years ago)
It's an insult used for a long time by Jamaicans. Frank has spent much of his life with people of and influenced by Jamacain heritage, to where he's black in all but colour. Yes, it's a racial insult but no more so than if it were delivered by a Jamaican, it not being about colour, more about continent and resentments dating from the slavery days.
It's an insult used for a long time by Jamaicans. Frank has spent much of his life with people of and influenced by Jamaican heritage, to where he's black in all but colour. Yes, it's a racial insult but no more so than if it were delivered by a Jamaican, it not being about colour, more about continent and resentments dating from the slavery days.

Quick Reply

Latest