The Student Room Group

When does non-violent resistance work?

So with everything going on in the world at the moment, i've begun to think about this.

What variables have to be in place for non-violent resistance to work?

All i can really think of is that there can't be someone in power prepared to use extreme violence against protesters.

So guys, when is non violent resistance most effective?
Reply 1
never
Original post by purplemango
So with everything going on in the world at the moment, i've begun to think about this.

What variables have to be in place for non-violent resistance to work?

All i can really think of is that there can't be someone in power prepared to use extreme violence against protesters.

is that right? This would seem to me the condition most likely to generate international interest and involvement (be it military intervention, economic sanctions, or political opprobrium).
Reply 3
It has been successful in the past: Prague Spring, Velvet Divorce, mass protest ending Vietnam war. Naturally, it's limited in its impact.
When it causes a significant and non-circumventable disruption, which the government is unwilling or unable to defeat violently, and when the costs of meeting the demands of the resistance are smaller than the current and predicted future disruption if their demands are not met.

(This would be a rational view, an ideological refusal to submit to unreasonable demands from demonstrators, however great the disruption, would render all of this void)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending