The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology SCLY1 Family & Households 13th May 2013.

Thought I'd make a thread :smile: for people who are taking this exam also. If anyone's got any predictions then please post, tips, etc. lastly if anyone has the January 2013 paper or questions please post would like to know what came up.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi I'm doing this too and any predictions or tips would be really helpful as Im stressing out:frown:
Reply 2
does anyone have any ideas what topic might be included in the essay part of the paper?:smile::confused:
Reply 3
Original post by hellsbells2
Hi I'm doing this too and any predictions or tips would be really helpful as Im stressing out:frown:

Hey we'll I've made my essay grids for all 7 topics and i made a key words lists. I haven't started memorising my essays yet because I've got a brimming 2000 word cw to finish and a video on it ( had to re-start my cw ) due to a **** teacher!.So it looks like am going spend 2 weeks learning my essay grids. i basically condensed thee orange napier press book down to 15 pages and I've got about 10 essay grids to memorise. Don't worry am sure we'll be fine :console:
Reply 4
Original post by megjones1
does anyone have any ideas what topic might be included in the essay part of the paper?:smile::confused:

I spoke to a few people I know who re-sat the family paper in January and they told me Demography did not come up so I have an inkling we might get a qs on it
I took this exam in the January exam series and the paper was as follows:

Define the nuclear family (2 marks)
Infant and birth rate question (4 marks)
Restriction on child activities (6 marks)
Evaluate Marxist views on family (24 marks)
Assess the view that we have more diverse lifestyles and family types (24 marks) [[ It was very similarly worded to this as I recall the end part made me panic ]]

Domestic violence, demography and social policy haven't come up in a while I don't think but don't assume a question won't be asked twice as in the summer of 2012 a question on family diversity was asked and was repeated in January 2013 If you need any help about individual things mail me and ask :-)
Reply 6
Subbing :h:
Reply 7
I'm so stressed :eek: There's so much stuff to revise and nothing seems to be going in my head.

Since childhood came up on the June 2012 paper do you think the chances of it coming up again are slim? I really hate childhood! :frown:
Original post by chellls
I'm so stressed :eek: There's so much stuff to revise and nothing seems to be going in my head.

Since childhood came up on the June 2012 paper do you think the chances of it coming up again are slim? I really hate childhood! :frown:

Anything could come up. What don't you like about childhood? :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by ikz94
Hey we'll I've made my essay grids for hall 7 topics and i made a key words lists. I haven't started memorising my essays yet because I've got a brimming 2000 word cw to finish and a video on it ( had to re-start my cw ) due to a **** teacher!.So it looks like am going spend 2 weeks learning my essay grids. i basically condensed thee orange napier press book down to 15 pages and I've got about 10 essay grids to memorise. Don't worry am sure we'll be fine :console:

Hi could you upload your documents please they may be very valuable and helpful to us all
Reply 10
Original post by mikeaf
Hi could you upload your documents please they may be very valuable and helpful to us all

Would love to share them but personally they are the essay grids are I am going to write in my exam and it took me a LOT of time to condense it into that format
Reply 11
Original post by SeanToBeWild
Anything could come up. What don't you like about childhood? :smile:

My teacher basically sits in the chair and makes us copy notes from the text book so we're practically teaching ourselves, so if I got a question about childhood no matter how much I revise over it I wouldn't really feel confident about it! I'm finding it hard to cut down my notes to a length that I can remember them at because all the revision I'm doing is just completely overwhelming me and I'm getting super stressed over everything!
Reply 12
Original post by ikz94
Would love to share them but personally they are the essay grids are I am going to write in my exam and it took me a LOT of time to condense it into that format

Can you explain the general idea of the essay grids? They sound helpful. Are you basically just picking topics that the 24 marks could be on then noting down under it like trigger phrases? So say for reasons for the decline in birth rates you'd write down things like changes in women's position, decline in infant mortality rate, children are becoming an economic liability and child centeredness for example? If I make any sense!
Reply 13
Original post by chellls
Can you explain the general idea of the essay grids? They sound helpful. Are you basically just picking topics that the 24 marks could be on then noting down under it like trigger phrases? So say for reasons for the decline in birth rates you'd write down things like changes in women's position, decline in infant mortality rate, children are becoming an economic liability and child centeredness for example? If I make any sense!

yep my essay grids start with an intro then goes into thses factors under those factors i use mnemonic for the factors so like CRRDS etc. so that acts a retrieval cue for me in my exam and then udner each one is the reason and the study with key information only.

After everything in the nemonic has been written down i use ABC- always be able to conclude stating the overall changes of birth rate for example. then i dop my conlusion given my opinion .
Reply 14
Original post by chellls
My teacher basically sits in the chair and makes us copy notes from the text book so we're practically teaching ourselves, so if I got a question about childhood no matter how much I revise over it I wouldn't really feel confident about it! I'm finding it hard to cut down my notes to a length that I can remember them at because all the revision I'm doing is just completely overwhelming me and I'm getting super stressed over everything!

Hi 5 my teacher is the exact same photocopies irrelevant things and pages from the book into THICK booklets. That is why i finished off the Family Unit myself and childhood.
Original post by chellls

I have some basic notes you may find useful, did you want to mail me your email address and I can email them over for you? :-)
Reply 16
My exam is on the 13th may has anyone any helpful tips of revising diversity
For 'examine' questions, do we have to include criticisms or an argument?
For one of the 24 markers my teacher predicts it will be on power & division of labour
Reply 19
Original post by Shadow_Amber
For one of the 24 markers my teacher predicts it will be on power & division of labour

God help us

Quick Reply

Latest