The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Swaziland is also wary of Iraq's new government, however it believes that Iraqs view is important to the U.N and the S.C and is pleased Iraq has nominated itself.

Swaziland thinks it would be disastrous if Venezuela nominated herself, given the current relations between the US and Venezuela.:p:
Nutter
I would think that needs to be substantiated.

Alright..

Israel, a country that desires peaceful relations, will be a great benefit to the MUN for discussing international security and most importantly, peace.

Israel's medical and technological break-throughs have provided benefit worldwide. We are often the first country to send medical help and aid when a country suffers from unfortunate natural disaster, even with countries we don't have such close ties with. Israel offered Iran aid when it suffered an earthquake; Israel sent help to Indonesia during the Tsunami and most recently, Israel sent ambulances across the border to Egypt after suffering a terrorist attack.

So far, Israel has had the privilege of being a a non-permanent Security Council member. We have contributed enormously in passing resolutions and motions within the Security Council forum as well as discussing issues at length, such as Iran.

We would like countries to note that Israel is a very active member of the MUN and would appeal for votes to ensure that we are elected again for another term.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wondering, how will the voting be set out? Will each country have 2 votes since there are 2 seats or will we only be getting 1 vote each and the 2 countries with the most votes succeed?

Reply 22
Very interesting nominations. :biggrin:
Reply 23
gemgems89
Alright..

Israel, a country that desires peaceful relations, will be a great benefit to the MUN for discussing international security and most importantly, peace.

Israel's medical and technological break-throughs have provided benefit worldwide. We are often the first country to send medical help and aid when a country suffers from unfortunate natural disaster, even with countries we don't have such close ties with. Israel offered Iran aid when it suffered an earthquake; Israel sent help to Indonesia during the Tsunami and most recently, Israel sent ambulances across the border to Egypt after suffering a terrorist attack.

So far, Israel has had the privilege of being a a non-permanent Security Council member. We have contributed enormously in passing resolutions and motions within the Security Council forum as well as discussing issues at length, such as Iran.

We would like countries to note that Israel is a very active member of the MUN and would appeal for votes to ensure that we are elected again for another term.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wondering, how will the voting be set out? Will each country have 2 votes since there are 2 seats or will we only be getting 1 vote each and the 2 countries with the most votes succeed?

There's no way the first system you suggested would work if we're voting for people to fill 2 identical seats in the UNSC. The latter will have to do.
Knogle
There's no way the first system you suggested would work if we're voting for people to fill 2 identical seats in the UNSC. The latter will have to do.

The problem I identified with the latter is that if we are getting a lot of nominiations, which is evident so far, each country will vote for his or her self and thus how are we going to derive the "winners"? Actually, there's always the permanent members that will be voting.
Reply 25
gemgems89
The problem I identified with the latter is that if we are getting a lot of nominiations, which is evident so far, each country will vote for his or her self and thus how are we going to derive the "winners"? Actually, there's always the permanent members that will be voting.

If I was the SG, I would have allowed representatives to vote anyone they believe is deserving of a spot. The top 4-5 people with the most number of nominations will then go on to the election round.
Reply 26
The trouble with that is there is no guarantee that they want to go in the Security Council.
Reply 27
Nightowl
The trouble with that is there is no guarantee that they want to go in the Security Council.

They must of course nominate themselves first to qualify.
Jangliss
Russia nominates Bhutan. :biggrin:
The Bhutan thanks the Russian delegate (whether it was meant seriously or not is irrelevant :p:), but must regretfully decline. Other pressing commitments mean we do not feel we could do justice to a NP seat on the Security Council this time round, but we might stand in August.
Reply 29
Agent Smith
The Bhutan thanks the Russian delegate (whether it was meant seriously or not is irrelevant :p:), but must regretfully decline. Other pressing commitments mean we do not feel we could do justice to a NP seat on the Security Council this time round, but we might stand in August.

I find that hard to believe. You're probably more active than most other reps. :p:
Reply 30
This system worked perfectly well last time, we only had to have one playoff.
Knogle
I find that hard to believe. You're probably more active than most other reps. :p:
Yes, but I have exams upcoming. And I'm not sure how much free time they're going to leave me, so it's probably better safe than sorry till they're over.
Reply 32
The Bhutan thanks the Russian delegate (whether it was meant seriously or not is irrelevant ), but must regretfully decline. Other pressing commitments mean we do not feel we could do justice to a NP seat on the Security Council this time round, but we might stand in August.

:frown: We wanted Bhutan on the SC
Well, you'll just have to wait two months and then rig the SC vote to ensure success, then, won't you. :p:
Reply 34
Agent Smith
Yes, but I have exams upcoming. And I'm not sure how much free time they're going to leave me, so it's probably better safe than sorry till they're over.

Understood. Best of luck with them bud. :wink:
Reply 35
Well, you'll just have to wait two months and then rig the SC vote to ensure success, then, won't you. :p:

Fine we'll wait and postpone the rigging. Although it is easier to do now as less Reps are around :ninja: But it shouldn't be difficult for the US. :wink:
Reply 36
Venezuela feels that it deserves a seat in the Security Council in order to build better relations with other nations and at the same time break what is becoming very much a Pro-US SC in order to prevent the UN from becoming an extension of the US. we feel that we can bring a very refreshing change to the Security Council in the hope to produce more a more lively, but at the same time restrained, debate. as a result we nominate ourselves for a non permanent member position in the SC.
Reply 37
Well, I don’t think it is any secret that we think that membership on the Security Council is a very important subject. The United States, traditionally, does not say what countries it votes for, but I don’t think there is any mistake that Venezuela would not contribute to the effective operation of the Security Council. I think we can see that from their actions in the past six months in the General Assembly, which have been unhelpful. And I don’t think it would be conducive to an effective and well-functioning Security Council.
Reply 38
we believe that venezuela would be no hindrance to the effective operation of the security council. to the contrary we would provide a voice for those who have grown to question the legitimacy of the UN and compare it now to the league of nations of yonder years. Our appointment would prove that the UN is not about being comfortable, but about addressing the issues that threaten peace and security all over the world, however close to home they may be, whilst protecting the basic freedoms and human rights that should be afforded to all individuals. we feel that our appointment would help guide the UNSC to issues that have been ignored for so long, and we somehow doubt our ability to be non-conducive considering the veto power of the US :rolleyes:
Reply 39
We believe that members on the Security Council represent the views held by a significant number of nations from each region. The fact is that the views held by Venezuela are not shared by any signifacant number of nations makes it an inappropriate nation to be on the UNSC. Only two countries stand in great support of Venezuela, namely: Iran and Syria. Along with this Hamas supports Venezuela
The statement that Venezuela is a hinderance is well qualified. Looking back at Venezuela's actions in the general assembly has resulted in this statment. Venezuela has opposed almost all political issues taken up by the General assembly, hence it has not been on the Council since 1993.
We would like to remind Venezuela that we do address issues of concern that are within our jurisdiction. The views are not unilateral and thus the 'UNSC is not comfotable' and often Russia and China oppose the views of the U.S.

(To make clear, these are not my personal views, but those of the US. Personally, I have no problems with 6+6=6 being a UNSC member)

Latest

Trending

Trending