The Student Room Group

NEA

I’m doing my NEA but I need help with sub questions and how I could collect data
My investigation title is “what is the impact of the molineux (Wolverhampton football stadium) on sense of place?”
I’m not sure what questions I could ask on a survey ? Please help any ideas would be appreciated
Original post by RMayer17
I’m doing my NEA but I need help with sub questions and how I could collect data
My investigation title is “what is the impact of the molineux (Wolverhampton football stadium) on sense of place?”
I’m not sure what questions I could ask on a survey ? Please help any ideas would be appreciated

Is the Molineux new? If not, it might be difficult to assess its impact as you can't really do a before/after comparison. If it were my investigation, I would change that word to 'influence'.

Also, Wolverhampton might be too large an area to have a successful investigation. OCR certainly has a strong preference for not going above 'ward' level in NEA investigations, but that could be different for your qualification. If you don't know what the Wolverhampton wards are, they should be available on the local council website.

With regards to sub-questions, you could look at some of these:

To what extent is retail influenced by the Molineux in x ward?

For this one, you could make a nice choropleth map of business type classifications in the area, which may or may not show a trend. I'm not familiar with Wolverhampton but I know there are a lot of pubs and merchandise shops near the big London stadiums.

To what extent is x ward perceived as an area to meet up?

Here, you could give a questionnaire people and ask where they have come from (probably using postcode, think ethics) and then make a rose diagram showing how far different people came.

How does sense of place change on match days as opposed to non-match days?

You could give people a questionnaire with likert scales asking them to rate how noisy or busy the place is, or how willing they would be to talk to a stranger. In addition to his, perhaps you could do an EQS (Environmental Quality Survey) yourself assessing how many shops are open on each day. Then, you could use spearman's rank to see if there's a significant difference between the two days.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Do you think the influence of the molineux on people’s perceptions of Wolverhampton would be a better and easier option? If so, what sub-questions could I do?
Original post by RMayer17
Do you think the influence of the molineux on people’s perceptions of Wolverhampton would be a better and easier option? If so, what sub-questions could I do?

Hey,

I think the above sub-questions are still applicable, I wrote them assuming that you would accept the change. Regarding the wording, it might just be me being picky, but I do think 'impact' implies a before/after investigation, which would obviously not be possible here. I would ask your geography teacher.

Other sub-questions you could do are:

* What is the current sense of place of (council ward containing the Molineux), Wolverhamton?
* To what extent does football influence business' brand identity in the ward of (''), Wolverhampton?
- For this one, you could look at how many pubs are called something to do with football, or how many shops have stadium-related imagery on their signs.
* To what extent do perceptions of safety of (council ward containing the Molineux) change between match days and non-match days?
- Drunk and disorderly behaviour might cause some groups (particularly women) to feel unsafe after match days but not at other times.
* To what extent can the Molineux be viewed as a flagship for Wolverhampton?
- I'm unfamiliar with the location, but if you wanted to do a before/after comparison you could use this question. Maybe find some old photographs and retake them in the same position.

I'm out of ideas right now but I'll get back to you if you have any more :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending