The Student Room Group

I think I'm the luckiest applicant of 2013

Scroll to see replies

I'm really pleased for you! This is coming from someone who was unsuccessful this year in a very competative field. I know, too well, the anxieties. I wish you oodles of luck in your career, hun!
Original post by HopefulMidwife
I'm really pleased for you! This is coming from someone who was unsuccessful this year in a very competative field. I know, too well, the anxieties. I wish you oodles of luck in your career, hun!

Thanks! I know midwifery can be so hard to get in to. I hope you get in the future!
Original post by Jacob :)
Thanks! I know midwifery can be so hard to get in to. I hope you get in the future!

Yeah, sadly, it is. I'll be really thankful when I get in, though!

Thanks hun. So you got into medicine? You're going to be a doctor? :smile:
Yeah, sadly, it is. I'll be really thankful when I get in, though!

Thanks hun. So you got into medicine? You're going to be a doctor? :smile:

Hell yeh! At least 5 years if uni first though. I work as a HCA and lots of the HCAs I work with are trying to get in to nursing or midwifery. The midwife applicants especially say its really hard. Are you doing your A levels?
Reply 24
Original post by Palindromic
Your GCSEs are fine mate, assuming you have science, maths and english as part of those. just dont apply to a certain few who are gcse whores, heres some links to help:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

Thanks a lot, those links really helped! Decided to apply for Exeter and Plymouth and maybe Lancaster! thanks :biggrin:
Hell yeh! At least 5 years if uni first though. I work as a HCA and lots of the HCAs I work with are trying to get in to nursing or midwifery. The midwife applicants especially say its really hard. Are you doing your A levels?

I'm looking into being a HCA or something similar once I finish my course too. It is really hard, yes. It's very common for it to take more than one cycle to get in. Someone on a Midwifery forum I'm joined to is on her 5th year of applying!

5 years in uni, how do you feel about it? Apprehensive? Dreading it? Excited?

I respect the fact you're doing it, though. I am always drawn to people who do medical and healthcare degrees and careers :smile:

I am doing an access course!
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm looking into being a HCA or something similar once I finish my course too. It is really hard, yes. It's very common for it to take more than one cycle to get in. Someone on a Midwifery forum I'm joined too is on her 5th year of applying!

5 years in uni, how do you feel about it? Apprehensive? Dreading it? Excited?

I respect the fact you're doing it, though. I am always drawn to people who do medical and healthcare degrees and careers :smile:

I am doing an access course!

I'm really excited about it. The later years are vey clinical so you become more and more like a doctor and less like a student.

How many years is midwifery? 3?
I'm really excited about it. The later years are vey clinical so you become more and more like a doctor and less like a student.

How many years is midwifery? 3?

I can imagine! It's like that with midwifery, too. It's focused a lot on clinical placements, especially during the last year.

It's three years, yes :smile:
I can imagine! It's like that with midwifery, too. It's focused a lot on clinical placements, especially during the last year.

It's three years, yes :smile:

So what made you want to do midwifery? And what's the access course like?
So what made you want to do midwifery? And what's the access course like?

It's a cliche, but I've wanted to be a midwife since I was really young, like 5 or 6. I've always had this fascination and passion for pregnancy, babies, science. I used to get up really early and watch all these programs about birth, pregnancy and student midwives on Disc. Health (now called Disc Home and Health, I think?) :biggrin:. It's hard to put exactly into words, but midwifery feels like my calling in life, and it fills me with joy. It's been one of the only things that's kept me going through a really hard lifetime. I also really like hospitals (I'm a weirdo, right? :tongue:) and love caring for people :smile:

My access course involves A&P, biochem, chem, psychology, science in medicine, study skills and maths and is level 3. I love it, but it's very hard and a lot of stress. I am in college for three days and go to work 4 days a week :redface: It's a full time course, though, because of the vast load of assignments and exams we have constantly.
(edited 11 years ago)
It's a cliche, but I've wanted to be a midwife since I was really young, like 5 or 6. I've always had this fascination and passion for pregnancy, babies, science. I used to get up really early and watch all these programs about birth, pregnancy and student midwives on Disc. Health (now called Disc Home and Health, I think?) :biggrin:. It's hard to put exactly into words, but midwifery feels like my calling in life, and it fills me with joy. It's been one of the only things that's kept me going through a really hard lifetime. I also really like hospitals (I'm a weirdo, right? :tongue:) and love caring for people :smile:

My access course involves A&P, biochem, chem, psychology, science in medicine, study skills and maths and is level 3. I love it, but it's very hard and a lot of stress. I am in college for three days and go to work 4 days a week :redface: It's a full time course, though, because of the vast load of assignments and exams we have constantly.

Just because its cliche doesn't mean it's not a good reason. It's sounds like a great course and you really love it.

Speaking of going to bed I have to be up at 5.30 for work so goodnight! We'll have to chat again some time. :smile:
Just because its cliche doesn't mean it's not a good reason. It's sounds like a great course and you really love it.

Speaking of going to bed I have to be up at 5.30 for work so goodnight! We'll have to chat again some time. :smile:

Thank you!

Yes, haha, I REALLY should be going to bed too. College 9-5 tomorrow and a chemistry test which I haven't revised for. What the hell am I doing? Eeeek.
Reply 32
Ah that's got to be the best feeling in the world, I got 2 A*'s 1 A and 5 B's in my gcses (A* in english lang and maths, A in chemistry), if I do really well in my As and get a high UKCAT with good work experience and non academic achievements, do I have a chance of getting into a med school?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Saif-Ali
Ah that's got to be the best feeling in the world, I got 2 A*'s 1 A and 5 B's in my gcses (A* in english lang and maths, A in chemistry), if I do really well in my As and get a high UKCAT with good work experience and non academic achievements, do I have a chance of getting into a med school?

In short, yes :smile: Just apply smart

p.s to the OP, awesome and congratulations :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending