The Student Room Group

Algebraic fractions - need help!

Hi everyone,

this might seem like a stupid question but I haven't done them in so long I really can't remember how to do it.

Anyways, I need help with this question:

Solve:

29 - x
------ = x + 5

I know you need to multiply by 4 but on the mark scheme the answer is 1.8 and I never get that so I must be doing something wrong, any help appreciated!
Reply 1
Get all the x terms on one side and all the numbers on the other, then divide. Remember that what you do to one side you must do to the other.
Reply 2
(29 - x)/4 = x + 5

29 -x = 4(x + 5)

29 - x = 4x + 20

9 = 5x

9/5 = x

1.8 = x

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Munrot07

Don't give full answers.

OP-show us what you have done, you may have just made a small error.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4

29 - x - 4x + 20

Slight mistake or typo.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by james22

dont link them in full

If he gets rid of his post yours still gives the answer
Reply 6
Original post by james22
Don't give full answers.

OP-show us what you have done, you may have just made a small error.

he asked for help, i gave him help, I can't give him help any other way without just explaining the answer in words which is the same thing. it sounds like hes just making a simple error if he knows he needs to times by 4
Reply 7
Original post by Ateo
Slight mistake or typo.

typo sorry there should be an = :P thanks, corrected it :smile:
Reply 8
Got it, thanks for the help everyone ^.^
Reply 9
I can't give him help any other way

Well many posters could have given him help without giving a full answer

So, since we are asked not to give full solutions, if you had nothing else to offer ... why post
Reply 10
Original post by TenOfThem
Well many posters could have given him help without giving a full answer

So, since we are asked not to give full solutions, if you had nothing else to offer ... why post

he didn't ask for no full solutions, i didn't know we weren't supposed to give full solutions, id personally find it much easier is someone gave the full solution. I'm sorry if thats not allowed, i was just trying to help...and they clearly got the help, isn't that all that matters?
Reply 11
Original post by TenOfThem
dont link them in full

If he gets rid of his post yours still gives the answer

Good point, done it now.

he asked for help, i gave him help, I can't give him help any other way without just explaining the answer in words which is the same thing. it sounds like hes just making a simple error if he knows he needs to times by 4

People cannot really learn by just being given the answers, guiding people through the question is far more effective.
he didn't ask for no full solutions, i didn't know we weren't supposed to give full solutions, id personally find it much easier is someone gave the full solution. I'm sorry if thats not allowed, i was just trying to help...and they clearly got the help, isn't that all that matters?

No it isn't all that matters. Knowing the answer with maths is nowhere near the same as being able to work it out for yourself.
Reply 13
Original post by james22
Good point, done it now.

People cannot really learn by just being given the answers, guiding people through the question is far more effective.

Fair enough but at least I did all the steps and it seemed to help :smile: ill take note on that for next time though :smile: thank you

Quick Reply

Latest