The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Eeyore
I read somewhere that a Grade 6-8 music exam is the equivalent of an A level? Does anyone know if this is true, and would a university consider it as such? I mean obviously I'm not wanting to use it as one of my A level options cos I'll have four A2s by the time I leave sixth form, but presumably it would count in your favour?

It depends on what grade and what level you pass it at, but yes, they can be counted as UCAS points. Has to be ABRSM, Guildhall, Trinity or LCMM, and ranges from 25 pts for a pass at Grade 6, to 75 for a distinction at Grade 8. It will look good, yes, but with Oxbridge I don't know whether having UCAS points for music exams will mean they count any more than just sticking them in your personal statement as we did anyway. Nice thing to have though - can show you can do other things with your time besides study.
Helenia
It depends on what grade and what level you pass it at, but yes, they can be counted as UCAS points. Has to be ABRSM, Guildhall, Trinity or LCMM, and ranges from 25 pts for a pass at Grade 6, to 75 for a distinction at Grade 8. It will look good, yes, but with Oxbridge I don't know whether having UCAS points for music exams will mean they count any more than just sticking them in your personal statement as we did anyway. Nice thing to have though - can show you can do other things with your time besides study.

Cool. I have grade 6 on piano :smile:
Reply 3
Joey_Johns

I have Grade 6 viola :smile: Taking grade 8 next Feb :eek:
Reply 4
Joey_Johns

Yes, but you've already got your offer, so you don't need to worry about it! I have merit at Grade 6 piano and Grade 7 cello, but on going to Clare you rapidly realise how little that means.
Helenia
Yes, but you've already got your offer, so you don't need to worry about it! I have merit at Grade 6 piano and Grade 7 cello, but on going to Clare you rapidly realise how little that means.

Thats not the point. I just never knew it was worth UCAS points, I certainly didnt put it on my UCAS form or anything.
TBH russell group unis are unlikely to take any notice of the points system.

mb
Reply 7
musicboy
TBH russell group unis are unlikely to take any notice of the points system.

mb

It's true. Let's face it, if I miss my AAA offer and get AAC, Oxford is unlikely to care what i get in grade VIII piano.
Reply 8
RxB
It's true. Let's face it, if I miss my AAA offer and get AAC, Oxford is unlikely to care what i get in grade VIII piano.

Yep, true. Unless you're doing music, but even then it's unlikely to swing things :biggrin:

I put mine on my UCAS form cos it said to, but I don't think I got any points for them.

Latest

Trending

Trending