The Student Room Group

I’m worried about getting a job

I (16M) have always struggled with school, I've got ASD and I used to live in an abusive household, I'm like 99% sure those are why I struggle, I'm worried about getting a job/getting into college, I only done 1 exam this year and that was for music, I'm doing National 5 english comms, which is like N5 english but with no exam and you get passed at a C for it, I'm doing unite for N5 Applications of maths. (National 5 is the Scottish equivalent to GCSES btw!)
I wasn't given a choice to do normal english or normal applications of maths. I wanted to do N5
Biology this year but i was denied that change because the school didn't think I could do it (I usually always had the best test marks in my biology tests last year but whatever ).
The fact that I wasn't given a choice for doing biology, normal N5 english etc makes me feels utterly stupid, I feel like I wasn't allowed to do those because the school thinks i'm stupid and can't do them, l've always understood that l've never been the brightest but it annoys me that I wasn't given the choice to do the normal subjects with exams like everyone else, it makes me feel dumb. I don't necessarily want to do anything science related as a job but it annoyed me that i wasn't given the opportunity for the class, I mainly want to do something with music but I realise being successful in that field would be unrealistic.

Do any of you have any advice? is it worth it to just do those subjects at college or not? I'm mainly asking because i'm worried about getting stuck in a crappy job.
I'm sorry to hear about your past and that you struggle with school. Make you are getting the support you need and have someone to talk to.

Have you asked your school why they did not give you the choice of doing biology? Or perhaps have you requested that you wanted to do it? If you are taking these exams this year, which is pretty soon, why are you worrying about it now? Or was it a last-minute decision from the school? If you are able to ask to take the biology exam (speaking to your head of year or teacher), then do that, however, most likely, if it is too late, just try your best and deal with the exams you are taking now. Maybe your school did not want to give you too much pressure to take the other subjects, not perhaps because you are not smart enough. Everyone aged 15-16 has to take their GCSEs in England because it is required, no matter whether you are dumb or smart, I do not know if national 5s are compulsory for everyone in Scotland but I suspect most teenagers take it? Therefore, do not feel you are stupid because your school did not give you the opportunity as everyone else, ask the school why this has happened instead of making assumptions.

You also said you are interested in music but feel it may be unrealistic to have a career in it. Have you considered what sector of music you want to achieve in? If you know how to play an instrument and with some training, you could become a private music teacher. There are no set qualifications if you teach music privately, and if you are good, you could earn up to £30-£40 an hour! Crappy job? I think not.

There is always a chance to retake your National 5 exams, speak to your teachers about it if you want to. Retaking and getting good grades in them will open many doors to various opportunities. Also, do not worry if you do end up with a 'bad' job, instead worry about working harder. I know someone who once was a cleaner and now is a teacher and someone who once lived on the streets but now owns a business. Do not give up! Work hard, try not to complain and see what you can do for yourself. :smile:
Original post by Rivercamera
I (16M) have always struggled with school, I've got ASD and I used to live in an abusive household, I'm like 99% sure those are why I struggle, I'm worried about getting a job/getting into college, I only done 1 exam this year and that was for music, I'm doing National 5 english comms, which is like N5 english but with no exam and you get passed at a C for it, I'm doing unite for N5 Applications of maths. (National 5 is the Scottish equivalent to GCSES btw!)
I wasn't given a choice to do normal english or normal applications of maths. I wanted to do N5
Biology this year but i was denied that change because the school didn't think I could do it (I usually always had the best test marks in my biology tests last year but whatever ).
The fact that I wasn't given a choice for doing biology, normal N5 english etc makes me feels utterly stupid, I feel like I wasn't allowed to do those because the school thinks i'm stupid and can't do them, l've always understood that l've never been the brightest but it annoys me that I wasn't given the choice to do the normal subjects with exams like everyone else, it makes me feel dumb. I don't necessarily want to do anything science related as a job but it annoyed me that i wasn't given the opportunity for the class, I mainly want to do something with music but I realise being successful in that field would be unrealistic.

Do any of you have any advice? is it worth it to just do those subjects at college or not? I'm mainly asking because i'm worried about getting stuck in a crappy job.

It is absolutely ridiculous that your school didn’t let you do biology. I was aloud to to National 5 physics in s4 when I had never done physics before. That’s really unfair.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending