The Student Room Group

"Dude, where's my gown?": The Oxford Chat Thread Mk.III

Scroll to see replies

That moment when your college daughter has an IRL baby :eek2: and you're like "does this mean I'm a legit pseudo-grandma? :tongue: " :dontknow:

Going to visit her and baby tomorrow :h:

Hope everyone's having a good term/autumn so far :grouphugs:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
That moment when your college daughter has an IRL baby :eek2: and you're like "does this mean I'm a legit pseudo-grandma? :tongue: " :dontknow:

Going to visit her and baby tomorrow :h:

Hope everyone's having a good term/autumn so far :grouphugs:

I can picture the scene. T_L_G arrives and greets her college daughter.

T_L_G: Hello! how lovely to see you again! And your gorgeous baby!

College Daughter: You don't know how pleased I am to see you. Would you like to hold her?

T_L_G: Of course

CD: Here you are....and in this bag are the nappies and a change of clothes. Her next feed is due in two hours. Give her this teddy when its bedtime. Oh, and she feeds about hourly through the night. BYYEEEEEEEE!
Original post by OxFossil
CD: Here you are....and in this bag are the nappies and a change of clothes. Her next feed is due in two hours. Give her this teddy when its bedtime. Oh, and she feeds about hourly through the night. BYYEEEEEEEE!

:rofl:

Then of course there's the threat of the College Mother-in-Law. :eek:
I can picture the scene. T_L_G arrives and greets her college daughter.

T_L_G: Hello! how lovely to see you again! And your gorgeous baby!

College Daughter: You don't know how pleased I am to see you. Would you like to hold her?

T_L_G: Of course

Original post by Fullofsurprises
:rofl:

Then of course there's the threat of the College Mother-in-Law. :eek:

You two are a right pair! :rofl: I made the mistake of reading these posts on the app before I met college daughter, and then I was like :eek: :afraid: :hide: :ahhhhh: :eek:
Any thoughts on Woosta provost trying to get rid of Grace and standing for tutors at formal hall? I personally am wondering who on earth she thinks she is, messing with traditions, and why!
(edited 4 years ago)
You two are a right pair! :rofl: I made the mistake of reading these posts on the app before I met college daughter, and then I was like :eek: :afraid: :hide: :ahhhhh: :eek:

Oh heck, we've totally ruined it for you, sorreee! :blush: I'm sure she's lovely! :console:
Original post by Hugh's Swan
Any thoughts on Woosta provost trying to get rid of Grace and standing for tutors at formal hall? I personally am wondering who on earth she thinks she is, messing with traditions, and why!

Reminds me of something that would be a moment of satire in an Evelyn Waugh novel!

I always felt conflicted by these kinds of things at Ox. On the one hand, there's all the history and continuity and charm. On the other, they represent a continuation of medieval forelock-tugging extreme classism into the modern era, projected onto academia but actually honoring a past where only the children of a tiny sliver of the upper classes made it the hallowed halls and once there were part of the culture of keeping the servants in their places. Then there's the insistence on high Anglicanism and faux religiosity. I think some modernisations are needed, perhaps keeping up ancient traditions eventually becomes mindless genuflecting rather than considered appreciation.

I'm not surprised she tried getting rid of the Grace but I am surprised she tried getting rid of standing for tutors at formal hall. Particularly given she is (afaik) not the Provost, but rather the interim Provost...

Then again she's a massive character :tongue:

Oh heck, we've totally ruined it for you, sorreee! :blush: I'm sure she's lovely! :console:

Hahaha, don't worry, didn't ruin anything! :hugs:
I always felt conflicted by these kinds of things at Ox. On the one hand, there's all the history and continuity and charm. On the other, they represent a continuation of medieval forelock-tugging extreme classism into the modern era, projected onto academia but actually honoring a past where only the children of a tiny sliver of the upper classes made it the hallowed halls and once there were part of the culture of keeping the servants in their places. Then there's the insistence on high Anglicanism and faux religiosity. I think some modernisations are needed, perhaps keeping up ancient traditions eventually becomes mindless genuflecting rather than considered appreciation.

I was at St.Hugh’s in the ‘80s and we had to stand for tutors coming in to hall and also could not leave hall until the Principle Rachel Trickett had ‘nodded’ in your direction (she looked like a nodding dog in hall). But looking at the history of female colleges in Oxford I would not say that they began with any continuation of forelock tugging or upper classes - more revolutionary and enlightened women who wanted suffrage* and an education. * e.g Emily Davison. Standing for your teacher and elders was something we also did at school - we all stood when the teacher entered or a visitor - it was a mark of respect.
I was at St.Hugh’s in the ‘80s and we had to stand for tutors coming in to hall and also could not leave hall until the Principle Rachel Trickett had ‘nodded’ in your direction (she looked like a nodding dog in hall). But looking at the history of female colleges in Oxford I would not say that they began with any continuation of forelock tugging or upper classes - more revolutionary and enlightened women who wanted suffrage* and an education. * e.g Emily Davison. Standing for your teacher and elders was something we also did at school - we all stood when the teacher entered or a visitor - it was a mark of respect.

Each convention should be judged on its own merits. but in general, im not attached to many Oxford "traditions". It seems to me that many are part of a tradition of creating a distinctive social atmosphere - one that tends to establish a continuity with the older public schools and the gentleman's club. I dont want people from other backgrounds to witness these traditions and feel 'this is not a place for people like me"
Anyone else following the 2020 applicants' thread and thinking "thank God I didn't have TSR when I was applying :adore: ?!?!" I'm just stressed out by reading everyone else's angst and I'm long shot of the place :tongue:
Anyone else following the 2020 applicants' thread and thinking "thank God I didn't have TSR when I was applying :adore: ?!?!" I'm just stressed out by reading everyone else's angst and I'm long shot of the place :tongue:

Absolutely. Back in the day, you just sat there waiting for a letter and had no-one else to compare stories with, worry about why you hadnt had your interview invite yet etc etc etc. On the other hand, you had no fricken clue about what you were letting yourself in for...
On the other hand, you had no fricken clue about what you were letting yourself in for...

Wise words from you, as always! :yep: :ninja: :holmes:

:hugs:

You'll have seen that today Mark Damazer - erstwhile Master of St Peter's - has called for the abolition of the Oxford Union and its replacement by an ordinary debating society.

I think he's quite right. The Union has for many years been a self-regarding anachronism, run by cliques of wannabe career politicians and "Brideshead" re-enactors. It appears to survive on the subscriptions of Freshers who, realising there's no central Students' Union at Oxford, imagine that the Union is an equivalent social hub. Only after handing over their £170 and attending their first debate do they realise the ghastly truth.

Pass the building over to OUSU and have it as a fully accessible, extra-collegiate, centre for student welfare and socials.
You'll have seen that today Mark Damazer - erstwhile Master of St Peter's - has called for the abolition of the Oxford Union and its replacement by an ordinary debating society.

I think he's quite right. The Union has for many years been a self-regarding anachronism, run by cliques of wannabe career politicians and "Brideshead" re-enactors. It appears to survive on the subscriptions of Freshers who, realising there's no central Students' Union at Oxford, imagine that the Union is an equivalent social hub. Only after handing over their £170 and attending their first debate do they realise the ghastly truth.

Pass the building over to OUSU and have it as a fully accessible, extra-collegiate, centre for student welfare and socials.

It's a shame, because it could be an epicentre of high quality, cutting-edge debate and societal drama and sometimes has been, at least to some extent. However, I do agree with Damazer on this one. The Union simply hasn't modernised and is still stuck in a 19th/early 20th century model of allowing the sons (note, sons) of grandees to hold forth and practise becoming the future grandees. It is one of those bastions of elitism that has done the country little good. It fits neatly, as can be seen in the case of the current Prime Minister, into the model of Eton - Oxford - Tory Cabinet that has proven to be so harmful in the past to the UK's attempts to modernise, to shake off centuries of deeply ingrained monarchical and aristocratic classism and to reject the assumption that a command of rhetoric is alone sufficient to rule.

Completely agree. The Oxford Union represents the worst of Oxford.
Might not be on here that much the next few days, so: whatever Christmas time means to you and however you may be spending it, I hope you all have a good one! :grouphugs:
Might not be on here that much the next few days, so: whatever Christmas time means to you and however you may be spending it, I hope you all have a good one! :grouphugs:

You too x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending