The Student Room Group

What are the best Bachelor's degrees to take before applying to drama school?

Hi! I am new here, I'm a first year medical student at Riga Stradins university in Riga, Latvia and, long story short, I feel that medicine is not my cup of tea.
I have had my eye on acting and I was hoping, maybe some of you could shine some light on the subject of studying acting.
Not really sure about the difference between college degree and a bachelor's degree either.

I need your help to find a 2 to 3 year college course/bachelor's degree, so that when I finished it, I would have better chances at getting in an acting/drama school (Guildhall, CSSE, RADA, LAMDA etc). I have heard that a lot of aspiring actors get their bachelor's degree in courses like English Literature, Psychology. I would love to hear your thoughts on this and what other courses and programs would suit my purpose best.

Also, I'm not a native English speaker so sorry it's a bit off :smile:
You dont need to have done ANY sort of degree before going to a British Drama school. Who has told you that you do?

A University based Drama degree looks at the subject only from an academic perspective. An Acting course at a Drama School is a practical course that trains you as a performer to work in professional theatre. The two courses are VERY different.

To enter University to do a Drama degree you dont even have to audition - ie. you are not judged as a performer and it doesnt intend to train you as one. To get into Drama School your ability as a performer is central to your application. There is no course you can do to 'prepare' you for Drama School - either you can act or you can't.

I suggest you have a look at the websites for a few British Drama schools and read the information about who they accept and what the admissions process is. Here is one example : http://www.oldvic.ac.uk/join-us1.html
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Hey, thank you for your reply, very informative. Maybe you also know about non UK students in Drama schools - do they have their own group or they study together with UK students?
Unless it is specifically an 'International' course (ie. the postgraduate course at Bristol), then you are just 'a student'.

Quick Reply

Latest