The Student Room Group

Does anyone else feel like their degree is useless?

I'm a drama student. I love my classmates and lecturers, and I'll be honest, they're the main reason I attend the lessons. I love the behind-the-scenes stuff but not the actual acting, and we're mainly doing the acting side.

My situation isn't the easiest as I'm an estranged student as it's just me because of personal circumstances I can't switch degrees. I'm completely regretting picking drama and feel like this is a useless degree.

Does anyone feel like this?
Not really. If I wanted to do a course that was directly relevant to a professional field to earn money, I would've done a vocational qualification in school and then an apprenticeship.

My degree is giving me still useful transferable skills for future employment while being intellectually interesting to me personally. Whether the specific subject content (as opposed to transferable skills) is relevant to any job I do in the future is besides the point.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a drama student. I love my classmates and lecturers, and I'll be honest, they're the main reason I attend the lessons. I love the behind-the-scenes stuff but not the actual acting, and we're mainly doing the acting side.

My situation isn't the easiest as I'm an estranged student as it's just me because of personal circumstances I can't switch degrees. I'm completely regretting picking drama and feel like this is a useless degree.

Sorry to hear this. Are you doing a university drama degree, or a vocational acting degree at a drama school? What aspects of the 'behind the scenes' stuff do you enjoy? Maybe you can use the degree, once you have it, to move into a field where those skills are needed. For example if you're more interested in backstage/technical/production/direction can you apply for some work experience/internships?
What year of study are you in?
Switching to a degree with more behind the scenes content (performance design, costume, makeup for performance etc or just an acting degree with more opportunities for directing and producing experience) might still be possible.

I feel only on the sense that because I am a graduate I’m struggling to find roles that even require Junior level entrance to which experience isn’t key or essential, like for example I’ve applied to couple with only 2 or 3 progressing my application to the interview stage and not beyond it since then I’ve considered doing a apprenticeship to something similar but something I don’t have qualifications in considering the apprenticeship is related to the job title I want to do for practical experience although I have had no luck which has been displeasing, and disheartening and not encouraging at all.
Hi,
It's completely normal to have doubts and second thoughts about your chosen path, especially in college. Many students, regardless of their field of study, experience moments of uncertainty and even regret about their academic choices. It's important to remember that your feelings are valid and that you're not alone in this experience.

It's great that you have a strong support network within your classmates and lecturers. They can be valuable resources during times of uncertainty. Consider talking to them about your feelings. Sometimes, expressing your concerns can help you gain clarity. They might offer insights or perspectives that you haven't considered before.

Moreover, your degree in drama, even if it feels challenging right now, equips you with a range of skills that are valuable in various fields. Communication skills, creativity, teamwork, and problem-solving are just a few examples of what you're likely learning. These skills are transferable and can be applied to a wide array of careers beyond acting.

If your passion lies in the behind-the-scenes aspects of drama, consider exploring those areas more deeply. There are numerous roles in theater and film production that don't involve acting, such as directing, stage management, set design, lighting, sound engineering, and costume design. By focusing on the aspects you love, you might find more fulfillment within your degree.

Additionally, consider seeking guidance from career counseling services at your college. They can provide insights into potential career paths related to your degree and help you explore options you might not have considered.

Remember, it's okay to feel uncertain, and it's okay to change your path if you discover that your passions lie in a different direction. Your education is a stepping stone, and what you learn, both academically and about yourself, can be applied in unexpected and meaningful ways throughout your life. Stay open to new experiences and opportunities, and you might find a path that aligns more closely with your interests and goals.

Best of Luck with everything!
Fatima
London South Bank university Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending