The Student Room Group

Gamers Survey

Hey, I am currently doing a bit of research on the modern gamers and would be grateful if you could answer a few questions for me :biggrin:

What type of gamer are you? (casual, hardcore, etc)
How long have you been gaming?
What is your favourite gaming genre? (roleplaying shooter, platform etc)
What is your favourite game?
What makes this game original in your eyes?
What keeps you hooked on this game?
How important is story to you in a game?

Thanks ^_^
Reply 1
1. Casual. I just play FIFA and black ops, I used to play FIFA seriously but now it's all for fun
2. For 11 years (age 5), however I used to play games like Tom and Jerry and Simpsons hit and Run when I was young.
3. Sport (FIFA) just over First person shooters
4. In terms of overall, Simpsons hit and run. Lately, Modern Warfare 2, man was that game goof.
5. I play the games that are the least origional (Cod and Fifa) but new features and a range of map sizes make a game original.
6. Features such as Ultimate team and the app tapped out, as you are working towards a goal whilst constantly increasin.
7. Not important to me, although COD 5's did interest me, along with the GTA IV one. SO I would say it's mainly important in the FPS and Role playing genre
Reply 2
Howzit,

Hmmm, I would say I am hardcore with the games I have, but being a miser I have no qualms with someone who games less than me but has more games claiming to be more hardcore.

Since... 2001 maybe?

Strategy, followed by shooter

Don't ask this of me :lol:, most other hardcore gamer would give a similar answer.
I'll narrow it down to: Total War series, Empire Earth (first one), Halo series and a plethora of Star Wars games.

Total War... originality doesn't matter much to me, there may have been similar turn-based strategy games before it, but Total War does it best. Meh, as I say originality doesn't matter much to me so I won't bore you with answers I can't give.

Total War - The mods that keep the game interesting and different, the range of activities and micro-management within it and my passion for history.

Empire Earth - Great epic music, AoE like but 3D and bigger maps with much larger pop caps which allow for massive armies. Well done campaigns and playing custom games with the difficulty on Hard and the map at its largest size results in a more than usual challenging game, love playing on Island map types as well which allows me to set up 'colonies' or such. :biggrin:

Halo - Well done FPS with a large player base and good friends who play it. Fun gameplay and gametypes with a serious and competitive undertone for those of us who want it.

Star Wars - Star Wars. Nuff said.

Story is very important to me, if the game has a poor story or one that disinterests me, no matter how good the gameplay or graphics are I won't continue.
Reply 3
What type of gamer are you? Hardcore
How long have you been gaming? Since I was 8, so 10 years?
What is your favourite gaming genre? I play all sorts, FPS/RPG/MOBA/Strategy w/e
What is your favourite game? Too difficult to say, I have favourite series i.e. Total War, Battlefield and The Elder Scrolls
What makes this game original in your eyes? Total War = combination of empire building and real time battles. Battlefield = Vehicles and sheer scale. TES = Sandbox gameplay and rich worlds
What keeps you hooked on this game? Variety. Sandbox games provide this, as do multiplayer games.
How important is story to you in a game? Very important.
Reply 4
I think would best describe myself as a frequent gamer rather than hardcore, I'm fairly casual about how I play.

About 5 years-ish

My favourite genre is probably first person shooters, despite my favourite game not being part of that genre :P

Eve Online, I'm an internet spaceship nerd.

It is the only MMO with a true sandbox. The narratives are all player driven, the developers provide a sandbox universe and interfere as little as possible. The intrigue is all player created, the players are the content drivers, the manipulators, the scammers, the cogs in the political structures which are as complicated as their real life counterparts. Eve is a masterpiece in game design in that it is a canvas on which the players are set loose to wreak havoc on each other. Also, it has spaceships, and spaceships shooting at each other and exploding is always going to be a winning combination.

The thrill of PvP in Eve is something unlike any other game. Losses are costly and have consequence. The community is excellent and fairly mature and make the game very fun and also intense.

I play games for a variety of different reasons. Stories are important in a single player game. But in a multiplayer game I need competition and good mechanics to get hooked. Eve is good in that the players create the stories, the political blocs that form are all player organised, the backstabbing is done by real people, whole in game communities can be manipulated by individual players/small groups.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Hardcore (yet don't play often anymore)
Since I was around 3-4 I had the N64 and also played games such as Tomb Raider on the PC
MMORPG
WoW (haven't played it in over 3 years though)
When I started playing WoW I had never experienced anything quite like it before. The community was fantastic and I got a real sense of achievment from leveling up and then going into the PvP scene where I would strive to be the highest rank possible. The skill/complexity required for high level play really drew me to it as I am competitive by nature. I think the most important aspect of it was the community though, I have made life long friends who I still keep in touch with across the whole world. I have so many vivid memories of things that I did with my friends on WoW whilst also talking on skype/vent.
The fact that you could never really complete it. I quit eventually though because I got bored; I had played one game consistantly for hours and hours each day and eventually I lost interest. Still my favourite game I've ever played though.
Depends on the genre really. MMORPG or a shooter I couldn't care less... but if it's a single player game then I would expect the story to be really decent. Red Dead Redemption was the best storyline/atmosphere that I've ever experienced in a game, it was truely amazing.
What type of gamer are you? Pretty casual, but veering slightly towards hardcore. I don't play often but I'm not that laid back when I play :tongue:
How long have you been gaming? 10 years, since I got my original Xbox
What is your favourite gaming genre? FPS all the wayyy
What is your favourite game? Halo: Combat Evolved or CoD 4
What makes this game original in your eyes? Halo - the whole concept with the Covenant and planets. It felt so real. CoD 4 - best multiplayer game ever. So simple but so well made and addictive
What keeps you hooked on this game? CoD 4 - its enjoyability online. You can play it for hours on end and you'll be just as happy 4 hours on as you were when you started playing it. It's a work of art
How important is story to you in a game? Depends on the game. If it has an amazing multiplayer experience (e.g. Call of Duty franchise) then I'm not bothered. If it's something like Halo/Gears of War, then the story is pretty important
Reply 7
What type of gamer are you? (casual, hardcore, etc) More hardcore than casual.

How long have you been gaming? 10+ years. Not sure exactly at what age I started.

What is your favourite gaming genre? (roleplaying shooter, platform etc) Action-Adventure.

What is your favourite game? Skies of Arcadia.

What makes this game original in your eyes? Nothing original since it is very similar to other J-RPGS, but I found it very refined and charming.

What keeps you hooked on this game? Exploration.

How important is story to you in a game? Quite important.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending