The Student Room Group

LSE Maths with econ or UCL maths????

Hi,
I have offers from LSE for maths with economics and UCL for straight maths.
I have not got a clue which to pick and have just a few days until the deadline.
I prefer maths and am not sure I want to do economics at uni.
I prefer the location and the facilities at LSE mainly because the UCL maths department seemed a bit under funded.
I have heard the social life is much better at UCL and virtually non existent at LSE.
I have heard that the employment from this LSE course will be better than UCL.
Also that the teaching is poor at LSE.
Any opinions from someone who knows anything about the topic would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Reply 1
For sheer course quality and employment prospects, LSE maths/econ.
Reply 2
Both courses are fairly well respected. If you want to go into economics, then go with LSE, but if you don't think economics is for you and don't think studying it is a good idea go with UCL. You will be spending a lot of your time at LSE studying difficult economic concepts and motivation is very hard to maintain if you aren't interested in the subject. I've got friends studying both courses, and you will learn less pure maths at LSE by a significant margin on the joint honours course (not too surprising really).

Just another point to note, the social scene at any London uni is pretty much the same as you will always find people that want to go out or those that don't depending on your tastes and all the universities have similar locations in terms of clubs etc.
Reply 3
Original post by BenGrosvenor
Hi,
I have offers from LSE for maths with economics and UCL for straight maths.
I have not got a clue which to pick and have just a few days until the deadline.
I prefer maths and am not sure I want to do economics at uni.
I prefer the location and the facilities at LSE mainly because the UCL maths department seemed a bit under funded.
I have heard the social life is much better at UCL and virtually non existent at LSE.
I have heard that the employment from this LSE course will be better than UCL.
Also that the teaching is poor at LSE.
Any opinions from someone who knows anything about the topic would be much appreciated.
Thanks

I had to face a similar choice between UCL/Imperial/LSE

I narrowed it down to UCL/Imperial, then finally UCL.

The reason I rejected LSE was because I wanted to study mathematics, not ecnomics, and the LSE degree does not contain any "real" mathematics compared to a straight mathematics degree at most other universities. Just ask yourself if you want to learn rigorous mathematics, or economics.
Reply 4
If you want good employment prospects and company linkage, then LSE is the best place to go..

Quick Reply

Latest