The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Don't worry. I don't know whether I am, I don't know anything anymore, feel like I'm completely disassociating. Don't even know what the **** is happening right now

I've had an okay mental health day up until now, due to meds, but, now that their half-life is coming to a close, I'm slipping more and more into detachment. I think it might be the exam stress, but I just feel as if I can't connect with myself at all. I feel as if I'm watching myself through an interface. I feel as if my body is a remote peripheral. I don't even quite relate to my fingers hitting the keyboard. It's weird, but not altogether unpleasant, given that, without this detachment, I'd probably be panicking over tomorrow's exam. Is this something like what you're experiencing?
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Thanks. I dunno that he'll actually give me the new psychiatrist, he said he'd "look into it" and Lord knows what that actually means knowing him :s-smilie: He was like "you've been doing OK without having a care team though" and I was like "that's what you think :nothing: ".

Wow, 8 months to get rereferred? That's insane :s-smilie: Though that was in the States, right? I'd hope my GP would make an emergency referral if it was needed, though I do think/hope the worst of my psychosis is long gone :yes:

It's... *runs off to Google to figure out how to spell it* Venlafaxine. I'm starting on a low dose in addition to the Sertraline and aripiprazole and if we find it's doing good things/not doing any harm, I'll be weaned off the Sertraline and put properly onto the Venlafaxine :yes:

No it was in Britain. If I want to see a psychiatrist here I call them up and get one the same week; 8 months is completely unheard of. It was ridiculous, the voices were getting more powerful every day and I was feeling worse and worse, I went to the GP so many times asking how long is this going to take and no one knew anything. :rolleyes:

Hopefully you're right and the worst of your psychosis is gone, that'd be really great, though I think it's always good to have a safety net just in case.

Oh I've taken venlafaxine, good luck with it, it didn't seem too bad to me although ultimately didn't help. I remember it messed up my sleep but other than that it was one of the better ones in terms of side effects. Is there any reason why you're changing from the sertraline?
Original post by lethean girl
I've had an okay mental health day up until now, due to meds, but, now that their half-life is coming to a close, I'm slipping more and more into detachment. I think it might be the exam stress, but I just feel as if I can't connect with myself at all. I feel as if I'm watching myself through an interface. I feel as if my body is a remote peripheral. I don't even quite relate to my fingers hitting the keyboard. It's weird, but not altogether unpleasant, given that, without this detachment, I'd probably be panicking over tomorrow's exam. Is this something like what you're experiencing?

Kind of yes but I feel anxiety. Like I'm in slow motion, apathetic with so much anxiety, like I'm not really here. Everything hurts. I don't know what's going on, I'm losing touch with all my surroundings. This hasn't happened before. I'm so nervous and sad, just feel empty. Can't explain it.
Reply 383
Original post by Anonymous
Aww, bless you. :hugs: If you think it would be beneficial for you to change surgeries, I think you should do so, regardless of convenience. You need a doctor you can trust, at the end of the day. I moved about 4 miles away from my GP's surgery a few months ago, and for me, it's been totally worth it to stay there, as they're my main source of support.

Cats definitely make things better. :smile:

I'm not sure changing surgeries at the moment is such a good idea. With all the stress and everything changing doctors is just going to be more hassle. It is a big surgery, I will just have to see if there is another doctor who I can see more regularly for now, because the best one there left and I met her replacement but it just didn't seem right for me. I thought I could trust the one I was seeing, until I realised I was pregnant. She also left just before I found out about the baby. She left on maternity leave. So the one I thought I could trust and the one that I probable actually could are both gone. Maybe their replacements will be good. I just don't know yet. It's a big surgery.
Wrote a massive reply then discarded it :facepalm:

Original post by Team_McDreamy
Massive move! but i think i needed it :smile: had to choose between a london uni and here, and i don't think i made the wrong choice in any way whatsoever :smile:

i was really worried i wouldn't settle in properly - i've never been the most popular person but i've always had a couple good friends, however not fitting in or being talked about behind my back is one of my biggest social fears - a lot of my life is ruled by 'if i did this, how would others react', not in an attention seeking kind of way but in a 'i hope they dont hate me' way, if you get what i mean?

yeah, i completely agree, when i get like that, it's like my head is going 'of course there isnt anybody downstairs, go to sleep' but my body is going 'theres somebody downstairs, get ready to scream and run'

:jumphug: i get really bad headaches to - most of the time the only way i can get away from them is to go to sleep :redface:

:hugs: as long as you believe that you made the right move then that's all that matters! Massive move! The whole population of scotland is less than that of London!

:hugs: glad you've settled in and made friends though :h: there's a few English folk on my course too :yep: don't believe all that rubbish about Scottish folk hating on the English that's just a small minority.. The majority don't care haha. I get what you mean though :tongue:

:hugs: it's just paranoia.. I understand what you mean though.. I'm the exact same at home! If everyone's asleep and I'm awake in my room.. Any creak downstairs or anything ill be **** scared for the rest of the night haha.

I barely get headaches so I'm glad but when I do they are a pain in the freaking arse!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bullettheory
Really really struggling. Really scared. Don't know what to do. I'm actually scared ****less. I don't know what to do or what to say or anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:jumphug: what's up? My inbox is open if you wanna talk :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 386
Three essays and fifteen pages of handwriting later I appear to have been almost productive (which is pretty funny given how hard everything else in the world is, it's so weird how working hangs around a bit even after other stuff is full on slipping) and am officially not having a flashback. Will shower and start on lab report I think. Still got three more essays to do by Thursday but seems unrealistic to do any more tonight, and lab reports are kinda simpler. Is kinda *******s how I can't get that sense of satisfaction from work when I'm feeling ****ty because from an objective standpoint I can see I've done quite a lot today, I just don't feel it.
Need something now. Oh **** what do I do, what the **** do I do? It's this time of night no one can help me. **** **** ****. I need some sort of anti anxiety otherwise I will explode, I'm about to lose it, I have no idea what to do. Who do I call?! There is literally no service I can use right now! :frown:
Reply 388
Need something now. Oh **** what do I do, what the **** do I do? It's this time of night no one can help me. **** **** ****. I need some sort of anti anxiety otherwise I will explode, I'm about to lose it, I have no idea what to do. Who do I call?! There is literally no service I can use right now! :frown:

You can always call the Samaritans or another support line (there are some specially suited to MH stuff - I think there's one called SaneLine?), maybe talking it through with someone would help. There's really no way to get anti-anxiety meds at this time of night, but meds aren't the only thing that work against anxiety (often it can pass by itself). I know it might feel intensely horrible, but I think tolerance is really key - like accepting that it feels **** right now but that it will pass and you'll feel ok again.

(Of course, if you are a suicide risk A&E could help, but otherwise I think your best option is family/friends or a support helpline.)

Isn't there one called nightline that is advertised on here? And im pretty sure samaritans are? :hugs:

i duno what else to say but, I've felt like i was gonna just collapse in the past, but im still here. You will be too, people like us always keep going, no matter what :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know it's hard, but try to take deep breaths.

Where abouts in the country are you? Do you have an urgent care team in your area? (Maybe just google 'urgent care team' and your county, that should bring it up I think) If you do, I'd really recommend them, they usually also come out to visit you if you feel you need it. I don't know if it's the same everywhere or if you have to be seen by one of their psychiatrists for this to be the case, but mine used to be able to bring out small quantities of diazepam etc with them too, so they'd probably be your best bet if you're having a crisis.

If that doesn't bring up anything, Samaritans can be quite helpful if you just need to talk to someone.

If you feel really unsafe though, get yourself to an A and E.

Sorry that I can't be more help. :frown: I hope you're feeling better soon, stay safe. :hugs:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Mouse Potato

Where abouts in the country are you? Do you have an urgent care team in your area? (Maybe just google 'urgent care team' and your county, that should bring it up I think) If you do, I'd really recommend them, they usually also come out to visit you if you feel you need it. I don't know if it's the same everywhere or if you have to be seen by one of their psychiatrists for this to be the case, but mine used to be able to bring out small quantities of diazepam etc with them too, so they'd probably be your best bet if you're having a crisis.

If that doesn't bring up anything, Samaritans can be quite helpful if you just need to talk to someone.

Sorry that I can't be more help. :frown: I hope you're feeling better soon, stay safe. :hugs:

Sorry about the neg - was misclicking :frown:
Original post by asdfgah
You can always call the Samaritans or another support line (there are some specially suited to MH stuff - I think there's one called SaneLine?), maybe talking it through with someone would help. There's really no way to get anti-anxiety meds at this time of night, but meds aren't the only thing that work against anxiety (often it can pass by itself). I know it might feel intensely horrible, but I think tolerance is really key - like accepting that it feels **** right now but that it will pass and you'll feel ok again.

(Of course, if you are a suicide risk A&E could help, but otherwise I think your best option is family/friends or a support helpline.)

It's been building for a week I don't know how to get it to go :frown: I'm not a suicide risk just feel absolutely horrible
Original post by Meaty_man
Isn't there one called nightline that is advertised on here? And im pretty sure samaritans are? :hugs:

i duno what else to say but, I've felt like i was gonna just collapse in the past, but im still here. You will be too, people like us always keep going, no matter what :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I hope so
Original post by rmhumphries
Sorry about the neg - was misclicking :frown:

Haha, that's okay, don't worry about it! :biggrin:
Original post by Mouse Potato

Birmingham but on the outskirts so basically in the middle of knowehere with a **** mental health service. I was diagnosed as bipolar and told "but we can'r really help you" uhh okay. I'll google it, thanks.

My dad has found out because I told my mum and he's going mental at me. He doesn't understand mental health, won't understand it and gets angry if I talk about it. Seems to think I do this on purpose...:frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 396

If you want to talk to a helpline maybe try SaneLine. I just googled and they’re open until 11pm I've emailed them before and they've been helpful (ish) so might be worth a try. Failing that there is always the Samaritans or Nightline if you’re at uni.

Some things I try when I'm feeling anxious:
Listen to a podcast or audiobook/ have an easy film/tv programme on in the background
Draw pictures/ play word games (such as finding as many small words in a big one)/ Sudoku/crosswords/math problems stuff that engages you, but isn’t really difficult.
Play online games I think it is a tradition in this thread to recommend infectonator :tongue:, but again anything that engages your attention
Exercise maybe too late to go out for a walk but star jumps, lunges etc...
Breathing exercises/imagery tasks/mindfulness

Normally doing several things in combination helps me more than doing just one would, although often it doesn't feel like anything will help. Doing proactive things makes me feel like I’m taking a bit of control, which helps a little, even if the actual activities aren't very helpful, they're a distraction at least. I think the key thing to remember is that it will pass even if you do nothing at all, so while it’s horrible it isn't going to last forever and finding ways to manage and tolerate the feelings until they pass might help. :hugs:
Reply 397
I've managed to scare myself really badly. I started reading about giving birth on the NHS website, because I'm an idiot and thought it might help me prepare. Now I'm confused and terrified and shaking because of the thought of pain and injections and pain and home births and hospitals pain and complications and pain and pain and pain... I want to wake my bf up but he will get pissy. I am really really really really really really scared.

This has been the worst day so far this year. I don't remember feeling this hopeless ever. I'm sure I have been, but right now it feels like nothing can save me and I'm trapped and terrified and hopeless.
Original post by Sultana
If you want to talk to a helpline maybe try SaneLine. I just googled and they’re open until 11pm I've emailed them before and they've been helpful (ish) so might be worth a try. Failing that there is always the Samaritans or Nightline if you’re at uni.

Some things I try when I'm feeling anxious:
Listen to a podcast or audiobook/ have an easy film/tv programme on in the background
Draw pictures/ play word games (such as finding as many small words in a big one)/ Sudoku/crosswords/math problems stuff that engages you, but isn’t really difficult.
Play online games I think it is a tradition in this thread to recommend infectonator :tongue:, but again anything that engages your attention
Exercise maybe too late to go out for a walk but star jumps, lunges etc...
Breathing exercises/imagery tasks/mindfulness

Normally doing several things in combination helps me more than doing just one would, although often it doesn't feel like anything will help. Doing proactive things makes me feel like I’m taking a bit of control, which helps a little, even if the actual activities aren't very helpful, they're a distraction at least. I think the key thing to remember is that it will pass even if you do nothing at all, so while it’s horrible it isn't going to last forever and finding ways to manage and tolerate the feelings until they pass might help. :hugs:

Thank you, that might help. Sorry I can't say more, don't know how to articulate myself
Reply 399
Is there anyone about I can talk to? I have a letter that I think is probably going to change everything adn I really really dont want to open it by myself.

Latest