The Student Room Group

How does no more Jan Exams affect uni applications?

I'm currently in Year 13, and am taking a gap year next year. However with all the talk of January exams being cancelled starting from September 2013, this means that I won't be able to re-take any exams in January 2014? If not, how will this affect my university application next year?

If I don't do well in a subject (currently worried about Chemistry), does this means I'm stuck with that grade and can't change it? Or will I be able to re-take exams in June 2014 and put my grade as 'pending' on UCAS? And if I do this, will my university application's value be lessened? (by having pending grades even after a gap year)

Sorry for so many questions! Just need some clarity, thanks!
(edited 10 years ago)
It's been in big, red font on the AQA website for months stating that there will be no January exams. However, I don't know how this will affect uni applications as I'm still in Y12...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Theres defo no january exams, and you dont have to tell them youre on a gap year? I dont think you would anyway
You'll be able to retake in June and put grades as pending on your UCAS application. Unis will probably question the number of resits - the more exams you do the harder it is, so if you're doing loads unis might assume you will get worse grades. But since unis will make a conditional offer they might not care - if you don't meet the terms you don't get a place anyway.
Reply 5
Original post by nursing_sue
You'll be able to retake in June and put grades as pending on your UCAS application. Unis will probably question the number of resits - the more exams you do the harder it is, so if you're doing loads unis might assume you will get worse grades. But since unis will make a conditional offer they might not care - if you don't meet the terms you don't get a place anyway.

But if you finish A-levels and apply during your gap year, you'd only get unconditional offers as you've already got your grades. If you're having to re-take even after finishing A-levels and put grades as 'pending', won't unis not want to give offers at all?
Original post by Maybenexttime
But if you finish A-levels and apply during your gap year, you'd only get unconditional offers as you've already got your grades. If you're having to re-take even after finishing A-levels and put grades as 'pending', won't unis not want to give offers at all?

If you're retaking that kinda implies you didn't meet the typical offers and therefore wouldn't get an unconditional offer if you didn't resit. If you do resit, that in itself wouldn't put unis off - unless it's something like medicine where unis don't like it.
Reply 7
Original post by Maybenexttime

I had BCC (AinGenStudies) at the end of year 13, and still applied to places with AAA-AAB.

Currently have offers from Exeter - AAB / Holloway - ABB / Lancaster - ABB

So long as you have a good personal statement ( I had a really decent one ), you'll get offers. I did get rejected from UCL though, because they said my academic record wasn't strong enough, although I was waiting for a while, and I wasn't the first to be rejected either.

For medicine / Oxbridge / Top Unis, you probably won't have a chance.

You can still apply, but make sure you got backups etc.
Reply 8
Original post by ForgottenPen

will Ofqual even look at this petition though? I doubt they will since they always have their say.

Quick Reply

Latest