The Student Room Group

Autism and rates of uni acceptance

Hi, I got quite a late diagnosis earlier this year and l'm thinking about applying for a place in University for 2024.
I was just hoping to find out whether disclosing my diagnosis would increase my likelihood of getting into uni and also whether or not it'd be beneficial to disclose it to begin with.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I got quite a late diagnosis earlier this year and l'm thinking about applying for a place in University for 2024.
I was just hoping to find out whether disclosing my diagnosis would increase my likelihood of getting into uni and also whether or not it'd be beneficial to disclose it to begin with.

You may be eligible for exam access arrangements, not sure about the university application process because it does ask if you have a diagnosis that has significantly impacted your studies and I think there's this whole diversity and inclusion part of it so they may ask if you if you have some sort of autism there. It may depends on the uni but really not sure.
disclosing your diagnosis of autism might decrease your chance of admission
Reply 3
Hi,
I'm also autistic and have multiple mental health problems
I applied to top unis (not Oxford and Cambridge) and got accepted into all of them; I would say that for me, it helped them understand my personal statement a bit more, and they have experience with autistic students so know what they are capable of
It also means that they will initiate the support setting up for you however, if you don't feel comfortable, I totally understand that, and once you've picked your uni, you can email the support team and set up the support
The one thing is though if you are applying where you need to do an interview or exam etc then it is definitely useful to let them know as you get adjustments and like they will understand why you might take longer to answer questions etc.
Reply 4
It really shouldn’t make a difference but definitely disclose upon starting a course. You can then receive adjustments as well as DSA for laptops, programming, printer, paper and possibly a mentor.
I would maybe check already before applying which universities might be fitting best to you and are good in supporting your needs. That might help narrowing down your choices. And universities disadvantaging you at application stage for having autism, are not worth going too, anyway. How much you thrive at your course and university will affect your career and future more, than the name of the university. So you need to find the right fit for you.

And as mentioned by Jess_Lomas, it might be worth mentioning, when you know, you will have difficulties/perform worse, because of your autism. But when it does not affect you, it is not worth mentioning it. So you will know best. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest