Turn on thread page Beta

Medicine 2015 Entry Thread! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, thought I would start a thread for hopeful 2015 Medicine applications. I know it's early but who cares. We all need to start somewhere. This thread is for those who are in Year 11 in England!

Post away.

---
    EDIT: Here's the connect/stalking pages for Medicine. You'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying.

ReputationRep:
    Wow this is pretty Early. Preparation is important, but you have got quite a while. I am in year 12 applying in October, happy to answer any questions you have.

ReputationRep:
    Ola!

I'll join in too. I am a mature applicant and am going to try for 2014 entry whilst I study my access course (A-Level alternative), but it may be that Unis don't consider me til I've finished the course in which case 2015 entry it is....

ReputationRep:
    This thread comes finally!!!
    I am waiting for this thread for a lot of time honestly, just want to meet people on TSR who has the same passion as mine to read medicine at university.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have offers for 2013 entry Cardiff firm and Sheffield insurance happy to answer any questions and hey why just England, Wales has same entrance process.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wow, this is early! I applied this year for the second time and now have an offer for Newcastle, and I too am happy to answer any questions you've got.

Good luck guys!

ReputationRep:
    I am mature student studying Bsc hons ....hoping to get in medicine GEP ....m glad to join this thread ..just to get updated with tips..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackTeh96)
    This thread comes finally!!!
    I am waiting for this thread for a lot of time honestly, just want to meet people on TSR who has the same passion as mine to read medicine at university.
    Yeah!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck peeps long road ahead. Starting early puts you in good stead; try and get well informed during Summer of different careers before you confirm Medicine is absolutely right for you and that you want to be a doctor, because there are other wonderfully rewarding careers in NHS/healthcare/science, too! This would give a clear sense of direction with regard to all your activities/work experience towards your application.

ReputationRep:
    I would have to say check out all your options I decided to do medicine then vetinary science then dentistry then medicine again even looked at nursing ha i guess it was always medicine but het try it all and make the right decision

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What kind of G.C.S.E grades you guys achieved or are predicted?

ReputationRep:
    10A* 2A
    AAAA at AS
    715 UKCAT

If that was directed at 2013 entrants!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unknown505)
    What kind of G.C.S.E grades you guys achieved or are predicted?
    My results that are predicted:

• A in Maths
    • A in Photography
    • A in History
    • A in I.T. Bacs
    • A* in Film Studies
    • B in Relious Studies
    • B in DiDA
    • B in English
    • C in Science *
    • C in Additional Sciene *

* The science department could not decide whether or not to enter me for Higher or Foundation Science and they entered me for Foundation which is now a decision they regret and I did try to be put in for the higher option.

Really annoyed me about Science but doing Biology and Chemistry next year at A-Level and Maths (with Mechancis too).

ReputationRep:
    I'm Year 11 and have a major passion and want to be a doctor however only decided around November/December this year after I got over being squeamish and had major surgery myself - let me realise how important it really is.

I'm FFT predicted all A* par drama and German but my realistic hopes/expectations are:

• A* maths (already have)
    • B English Lit
    • B English Lang (I'd love an A but I've barely revised because I've been revising history)
    • A* History (could be an A if the Cold War exam goes tits up...)
    • A ICT
    • A Core Science (already have)
    • A* Additional Science (expecting it to border A/A* could go either side because I screwed up physics but I have a high ISA mark which will hopefully save me)
    • A Drama (had a weird examiner so no one knows how she'll mark - if she's generous, A*, harsh B and normal will get me an A)
    • B German
    • A/A* Philosophy&Ethics
    • A* statistics
    • Pass in sports leadership level 2 (had to change from GCSE PE due to health reasons meaning I wouldn't have passed GCSE PE)

What's everyone doing to prep? I have work experience planned shadowing my surgery at one of the top three hospitals in the world for his specialty

ReputationRep:
    Any questions about KCL, Manchester, Newcastle or Nottingham fire away If I was you guys I'd start emailing around for volunteering jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippokrates)
    Any questions about KCL, Manchester, Newcastle or Nottingham fire away If I was you guys I'd start emailing around for volunteering jobs.
    Already done going to get a place at hospital as a volunteer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsmben)
    Already done going to get a place at hospital as a volunteer.
    Which ward? I do MAU which is really good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippokrates)
    Which ward? I do MAU which is really good
    Still waiting for full details of the placement as I start in September.

ReputationRep:
    I think I want to do Medicine.. I don't know.. I'm really confused at the minute haha! Like, it seems logical from the subjects I'm doing, and I like sciences and I do want to help people, and it seems really cool and interesting, but I'm not sure. I would like to do something to help people in the longterm, like help cure a disease or something, but I don't know, is medicine the way to do that?
    As for predicted grades, I'm looking at pretty much A*s the whole way through everything, except maybe english lang and lit where I'm hoping for As and possibly RE if I don't start doing some work :P
    What are people doing for A levels? And also how did you get work experience and stuff? We're doing work experience in school in january, should I try to get something before that or not?

ReputationRep:
    This is my predicted grade:
    IGCSE CIE
    English Language B
    Maths A* (already done)
    Biology A*
    Chemistry A*
    Physics A*
    Business Studies A
    Music A*
    Chinese First Language A
    Additional Maths A*

I am taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths in A level, but i am considering doing six modules on maths in one year because i have pretty much learnt the content on Core 1 & 2 before.
    I want to go to Cambridge/ Imperial/UCL to study medicine but then i realised that they all need BMAT which is veryyy risky. What universities are you guys hoping to apply?? I haven't done any working experience, but i have done some volunteering work and i will definitely do some shadowing/observing over the summer.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.