The Student Room Group

Gap year companies - Recommendations please!

Hey all,

The thread title speaks for itself, really: can any gappers, past or present recommend - or in some cases not - using any gap year organisations or companies that they have been with? Evne future gappers can probably answer this, mentioning how the company they have used have been so far!

Perhaps to get some uniformity with posts, post:

Gap year company:
Where did you go:
How long for:
Pros experienced:
Cons experienced:
Would you recommend them?:

A huge thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Gap year company: Raleigh International
Where did you go: Costa Rica and Nicaragua
How long for: officially 10 weeks, however a lot of people travelled on afterwards for varying lengths of time with people they met while out on expedition.
Pros experienced: Got to do three very different projects, which all affected you in different ways. The community project felt good in the sense of giving something back to a community, environmental phase speaks for itself, and adventure projects were all for yourself. Raleigh focusses on youth development, which means the staff did focus on people, as well as on the project. I personally got a lot from this experience.
Cons: Expensive, £2995, however I still think with the level of looking after recieved it was well worth this. If youre a very independent person the looking after might seem a bit too much. Basically if youve been to uni or lived on your own for long periods of time you may feel hemmed in, if youve just left school, its ideal as a platform between school and uni!
Would you recommend them: Hell yeah!
Reply 2
Gap year company: Work the World
Where did you go: Ghana
How long for: 6 weeks - stayed for 3 more weeks travelling to Timbuktu
Pros experienced: Relatively inexpensive (£990) and they were open about where the money goes, knowledgble staff, pesonalised placement, excellent accommodation. Got to live in really good town and made loads of friends.
Cons experienced:One of the other students was very annoying, but that's not really the companies fault!
Would you recommend them?: Yes. Did a lot of research and found that they knew the placements inside out and were happy to spend a lot of time getting a project sorted that was exactly what I wanted, whereas others charged more, sounded like they were just blagging it on the phone and just wanted an application. Had great expereince, and now would feel much more confident about going it alone.
Reply 3
*bump*

C'mon guys: the first two responses have been great, more are needed!
Reply 4
Gap year company: Sorry, what is a gap year company?
Where did you go: South America
How long for: 3 Months
Pros experienced: Better chance of a real volunteer experience, nobody holding your hand. Not Feeling you are being ripped-off. Learn more about yourself, what you are good at. You have to make it work - and you will. Confidence. You get to keep your money.

Cons experienced: Roller-coaster ride of independent travel. Not for everyone, you need to be independent, with drive & confidence. Nobody holding your hand. Parents freak-out factor.
Reply 5
stevemce
Gap year company: Sorry, what is a gap year company?
Where did you go: South America
How long for: 3 Months
Pros experienced: Better chance of a real volunteer experience, nobody holding your hand. Not Feeling you are being ripped-off. Learn more about yourself, what you are good at. You have to make it work - and you will. Confidence. You get to keep your money.

Cons experienced: Roller-coaster ride of independent travel. Not for everyone, you need to be independent, with drive & confidence. Nobody holding your hand. Parents freak-out factor.

By gap year company, i mean if you went via an organisation, e.g. Raliegh International :smile: So, the last question of 'would you recommend them?' is regarding whichever organisation or company you went with if applicable!
Reply 6
Anyone gone with frontier? I think they look great! a bit expensive, but they seem really serious about conservation and you get a BTEC out of it... anyone have any more info about them?
Reply 7
Hay.

That's a bit spooky - I was going to add a review of Frontier anyway! First things first, I havn't actually been away with them yet, but having just handed in my deposit, all my experiences to date have been very positive. As it stands, I've been very impressed by their efficiency etc.

I went to an Open Day in March, where their presentations looked pretty amazing. As a result, I've signed up for a 20 week expedition, leaving in January 2007 - 10 weeks on the marine course in Fiji, and 10 weeks on the South East Conservation Trail. You're right - they do offer BTECs, and I'm planning to do one in Fiji.

Have you had a look at their website? If not, it's very useful (http://www.frontier.ac.uk) Don't hesitate to give them a call either - the people that I spoke to were extremely friendly, informative and efficient.

Feel free to contact me if you want any of their brochures etc - I seem to have amassed quite a collection of the same ones! :five:
Reply 8
Sam, how much did you spend on that 20-week Fiji trip? I'm thinking upwards of 5,000 pounds here?!
Reply 9

Hey.

£5000 is close - I think the final Frontier price was around £4200. That includes 20 weeks accomodation, food, visas, dive training etc. I'm not sure if it covers insurance, but the one draw back is that you have to organise your own flights. At the moment, I'm looking at a 'round-the-world' ticket, which is around £1000. So in total, about £5200.

It's true - not cheap by any means. However, I'm working full time from August to December ( :frown: ) which should just about cover it.

Sam
Reply 10
haha cool!! :biggrin:

wow! I've bugeted £4000, and I was only planning a 10 weeker to Tanzania. my trip will cost about £2000, but I've gotta get flights and dive kit ( :eek: ) n books and stuff. Have you looked at the kit list on the website? It's hyooooge! Apparently for the BTEC there is a book you have to buy for about £50 and little hidden costs like that, so I'm going on the safe side. I think I may be being a bit generous though!
I haven't actually been on my Gap Year yet, but I've been accepted onto a placement with GAP Activity Projects to go to Ghana for 5 months starting in February. The reasons I chose them after looking at lots of other companies was the fact that they are a not for profit organisation, meaning they don't make money out of you... you pay £900 plus a £40 application fee and that covers all the organisation, and food and accomadation for most of the placements they offer. You also pay the same however long you go to a country for and can get discounts if you want to go on two placements. I was recommended them by a friend who has been to Germany and Ghana and she thought they were great. If you want to ask people who have been with them why not post on the mygap forums on their website, you can clink on a link from the homepage www.gap.org.uk and ask any questions you have.

Hope that helps!

Lynda x
Reply 12
~nat~
By gap year company, i mean if you went via an organisation, e.g. Raliegh International :smile: So, the last question of 'would you recommend them?' is regarding whichever organisation or company you went with if applicable!

Nat,
What I was trying to say was you don't need a Gap Year company to have a Gap year. Cut out the middle man and do it independently!
I wanted to volunteer and found lots of free & cheap placements in South America, if you look hard enough you will find them in other places too.

£900 for 5 months in Ghana sounds OK. But some of the other figures mentioned on this thread seem too high to me.

I have not used these companies below, but I like the look of them, especially the first one. IMO they are good value.
www.intercambioperu.org (Peru Only)
www.volunteersam.com
www.twinworkabroad.com

HTH
Steve
Reply 13
stevemce
Nat,
What I was trying to say was you don't need a Gap Year company to have a Gap year. Cut out the middle man and do it independently!
I wanted to volunteer and found lots of free & cheap placements in South America, if you look hard enough you will find them in other places too.

£900 for 5 months in Ghana sounds OK. But some of the other figures mentioned on this thread seem too high to me.

I have not used these companies below, but I like the look of them, especially the first one. IMO they are good value.
www.volunteersam.com
www.twinworkabroad.com

HTH
Steve

thanks steve!
Just wanted to see which companies, etc, people had gone for and what they thougght of/think of them :smile:
Reply 14
Might as well join in and tell people a bit about myself and Gap Activity Projects (GAP). I haven't left yet, but will be departing in September.

Gap year company: Gap Activity Projects (GAP)

Where did you go: Nishio Nakanogoh Hoikuen, Nishio, Japan

How long for: 6 Months

Pros experienced:

Simple and helpful application and interview procedure. Good community of other GAPpers (www.mygap.org/community/forums) for advice and support.

Thorough detail information packs, including details of other GAPpers in the same country (e-mail addresses, etc)

Good and easy to talk to (or e-mail!) staff, I've always had quick replies

Fundraising support and advice

Good cost - £900 for 6 months in Japan

Cons experienced: Can't really think of any so far, I'm sure they're not perfect - but nothing springs to mind :P Actually, one point. The nearest interview center to me (Sunny Wales) was 5 hours+ away in Reading, but there's 4 centers over the UK, I think I just live too far out in the middle of nowhere :P

Would you recommend them?: Yep, sure would, given the above and wide range of placements and locations available - check them out at http://www.gap.org.uk

Not trying to plug them too much, but so far I must say I'm very pleased with what I've seen :smile: If anybody has any questions concerning GAP (bear in mind I'm yet to go) please PM me.
Reply 15
stevemce
Nat,

www.volunteersam.com
www.twinworkabroad.com

HTH
Steve

Wow these are so much cheaper than the other ones I've been looking at! I suppose the cons of these is you'll have to sort out visas and insurance yourself, but it's still a massive saving!
Reply 16
*bumpity bump*
Reply 17
:bumps:
Gap year company: i-to-i (havent been yet, going on 5th)
Where did you go: peru
How long for: 4 week placement
Pros experienced:easy to get hold of for questions and good at answering these questions The price is reasonable- £900 for 5 weeks with accomadation, all meals, insurance. plus a tefl course which is good. You just need flights.
Cons experienced: nothing yet. Hope the placement goes well.
Would you recommend them?: so far, yes. but ill let you know when i get back!
Reply 19
going with trekforce to belize in january
you wont belize how good they are-(see what i did there?)
few mates gone with them and yeah they are expensive but they look after you really well. Even after you've ifnsihed with them if you are in the country and have problems they will still help-they're nice like that

Quick Reply

Latest