The Student Room Group

Animal conservation volunteering

Hey!
I’m looking to do some

animal conservation volunteering next summer abroad and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of companies to go through? Or people who have done it previously and have recommendations? I will be going alone and since there are so many companies to choose from I don’t want to pick one which I don’t know much about.
Thank you :smile:
Original post by lpg27
Hey!
I’m looking to do some

animal conservation volunteering next summer abroad and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of companies to go through? Or people who have done it previously and have recommendations? I will be going alone and since there are so many companies to choose from I don’t want to pick one which I don’t know much about.

What sort of animals are you thinking about? Marine? Turtles? elephants? Big cats? etc. Are there any countries you don't want to go to or any countries you are really interested in going to?
Reply 2
Original post by flamingolover
What sort of animals are you thinking about? Marine? Turtles? elephants? Big cats? etc. Are there any countries you don't want to go to or any countries you are really interested in going to?

Original post by lpg27
Hey!
I’m looking to do some

Try WVS - they list a few of their volunteering opportunities on their website.
Reply 3
Original post by flamingolover

I’m thinking of elephants, monkeys, sloths etc or large animals. I basically want something that is hands on so don’t really just want to be observing. There isn’t really a country I don’t want to go to. I was thinking Thailand would be a good country to go to but I’m not really fussed.
There are hundreds of opportunities, I guess it depends where you want to go and do. I volunteered in Thailand which was fab! Maybe check sites like these animal volunteer programs or gap year volunteering opportunities to see companies and projects.
Reply 5
Original post by lpg27
Hey!
I’m looking to do some

Did you find a volunteering opportunity that suits you and your budget? Some can be pricey?
Hey there,
I had done volunteering in Nepal with Volunteering Solutions and one of my friend did the elephant care volunteering project in Thailand with the same organisation. She had a great experience in Thailand. You could consider this company, if you like.

Thanks
Diana
:smile:
Reply 7
I went to a sloth sanctuary outside San Juan Costa Rica as a tourist. The volunteers were lovely and they also had monkeys too. It was in the middle of no where, but must have been pretty cool to take care of them. They did say though that it is not as hands on because they want to interfere as less as they can. so feeding yes, introducing new/changing some of their surroundings in their habitat section and making sure their well being was ok

Quick Reply

Latest