The Student Room Group

What A Levels to pick

At the moment I'm contemplating which A Levels to pick as I want to study medicine at university. At the moment im thinking of taking Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and English Literature. Are these suitable subjects? I also found that Maths and Physics are not necessary as most unis ask for Chemistry and Biology. Would you recommend swapping any of these subjects for other ones?
Reply 1
No that seems good:smile: Chemistry, Biology and English lit (not sure about phychology) are all what is known as "hard" as apposed to "soft" subjects, and its "hard" subjects that universities look for. If more of you choices were soft i would sugest swapping then but there not, so i would say that was a good choice, as long as your sure you defiantly don't need MATHS! :smile:
Chemistry and Biology will satisfy most medical schools - only a few want 3 sciences. Your choices seem fine, though do note that Psychology is sometimes looked upon as a weaker subject.

As with all medical applications be tactical, play to your strengths and good luck :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by Muppet Science
Chemistry and Biology will satisfy most medical schools - only a few want 3 sciences. Your choices seem fine, though do note that Psychology is sometimes looked upon as a weaker subject.

As with all medical applications be tactical, play to your strengths and good luck :biggrin:

Thanks, do you think taking Geography instead of Psychology is a better option. I was told that Psychology now counts as a science subject and it could aid my application. Do you think Geography would be a better option?
Original post by Thanbir_H
Thanks, do you think taking Geography instead of Psychology is a better option. I was told that Psychology now counts as a science subject and it could aid my application. Do you think Geography would be a better option?

Assuming that you can get an A in geography I would, humbly, advise it as it is a far better respected subject.

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

Shows what subjects are well respected, and which are less well respected.

Quick Reply

Latest