The Student Room Group

Chem 5 - AQA Transition metals

Is anybody else having trouble remembering all the different colours in transition metal chemistry?
Does anybody have a good way of remembering them all??
Hey there. While you're waiting for a reply to your post, we thought we'd give your thread a timely bump.

But don't twiddle your thumbs in the meantime! Kick off your revision and study time by heading to our Learn Together section.

In Learn Together, you'll find interactive study tools to help make your revision quicker and easier. We've also got thousands of handpicked assignments analysed by great teachers, so you can learn from top-marked work. And there's tons more too: get started on Learn Together now!
Original post by Learn Together
Hey there. While you're waiting for a reply to your post, we thought we'd give your thread a timely bump.

But don't twiddle your thumbs in the meantime! Kick off your revision and study time by heading to our Learn Together section.

In Learn Together, you'll find interactive study tools to help make your revision quicker and easier. We've also got thousands of handpicked assignments analysed by great teachers, so you can learn from top-marked work. And there's tons more too: get started on Learn Together now!

Boring, boring, boring ....
Reply 3
Iron 2 is always green,
Co 2 is blue,
Copper goes from light to dark,
Iron 3 looks like poo.

Cr 3 is red in water,
and with excess ammonia purple is seen,
Aluminium's white or a clear solution,
everything else, is f***ing green.

All jokes aside,

Fe 2+ is always green, Fe 3+ is always brown. Easy.

Cobalt I consider like that colour change mouth wash. Pink untill you shake it and it turns blue. Its pink with water then add stuff and it goes blue (Except excess ammonia - Brown).

Copper is blue. Pale blue bar excess ammonia/CO3 which is dark blue/blue green respectively.

Aluminium has no colour as its not transitional

And chromium is a complete a** of a metal in that it takes any colour... like what the hell. I normally just put green if in doubt.
Reply 4
Original post by Harry170194
Iron 2 is always green,
Co 2 is blue,
Copper goes from light to dark,
Iron 3 looks like poo.

Cr 3 is red in water,
and with excess ammonia purple is seen,
Aluminium's white or a clear solution,
everything else, is f***ing green.

All jokes aside,

Fe 2+ is always green, Fe 3+ is always brown. Easy.

Cobalt I consider like that colour change mouth wash. Pink untill you shake it and it turns blue. Its pink with water then add stuff and it goes blue (Except excess ammonia - Brown).

Copper is blue. Pale blue bar excess ammonia/CO3 which is dark blue/blue green respectively.

Aluminium has no colour as its not transitional

And chromium is a complete a** of a metal in that it takes any colour... like what the hell. I normally just put green if in doubt.

Chromium is not as hard to remember as you think, remember potassium dichromate? It's orange in 6+ dichromate form, yellow in the single CrO4^2- ion from the equilibrium being allowed to shift. Green when you oxidise it to Cr3+ and Cr2+ is blue, although I don't think you need to know that one
Reply 5
Cr(ll) = TWO = blue
Cr(lll) = thREE = green

^they rhyme
Reply 6
Original post by Kev.1995
Chromium is not as hard to remember as you think, remember potassium dichromate? It's orange in 6+ dichromate form, yellow in the single CrO4^2- ion from the equilibrium being allowed to shift. Green when you oxidise it to Cr3+ and Cr2+ is blue, although I don't think you need to know that one

Yeah I know all of them now. Just got to think of it as a rainbow from 6 downwards.... 6Dichromate: Orange, 6Chromate: Yellow Chromium3: Green Chromium2: Blue. Though the rhyme is good for me too, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest