The Student Room Group

Converting from Cartesian to Polar form

I want to show that y=2x+1 y = \sqrt{2x+1} is r=11cosθ r= \frac{1}{1-cos\theta} in Polar form.

I used x=rcosθ x=r \cos\theta and y=rsinθ y = r \sin\theta to eliminate x x and y y from the cartesian equation and end up with a quadratic in r r

Then using the quadratic equation yields:

r=cosθ±11cos2θ r = \frac{cos\theta \pm 1}{1-cos^2\theta}

Thus r=11cosθ r = \frac{1}{1-cos\theta} or r=11+cosθ r = \frac{-1}{1+cos\theta}

I am not sure how to justify taking one root - and also what significance the other root has.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
bump :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by jassi1
I want to show that y=2x+1 y = \sqrt{2x+1} is r=11+cosθ r= \frac{1}{1+cos\theta} in Polar form.

I used x=rcosθ x=r \cos\theta and y=rsinθ y = r \sin\theta to eliminate x x and y y from the cartesian equation and end up with a quadratic in r r

Thus r=11cosθ r = \frac{1}{1-cos\theta} or r=11+cosθ r = \frac{-1}{1+cos\theta}

I am not sure how to justify taking one root - and also what significance the other root has.

i think its because, for the range of values that theta can be, the second root would give values of r<0 which can't happen..cant have a negative magnitude..at least we dont for a-level i think.
Reply 3
When solving this you will have had to square both sides at some point, this normally introduces new roots that may not satisfy the original equation, e.g. if 2x-1=x+1 then x=2, but squaring gives x^2-2x=0 (after rearanging) which has x=0 as a root as well as x=2. The best way to check is to put your solutions back into the original equation to see which one works.
Reply 4
Original post by Tedward
i think its because, for the range of values that theta can be, the second root would give values of r<0 which can't happen..cant have a negative magnitude..at least we dont for a-level i think.

Thanks. I didn't notice that r<0 for all theta in the other case. I sketched both curves on a graphic calculator and they are both y^2=2x+1. so the justification for taking one root is simply for the convention that r>0. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by jassi1
I want to show that y=2x+1 y = \sqrt{2x+1} is r=11+cosθ r= \frac{1}{1+cos\theta} in Polar form.

It isn't.
Reply 6
Original post by BabyMaths
It isn't.

oops. It is r=11cosθ r=\frac{1}{1-\cos\theta} opposed to r=11+cosθ r=\frac{1}{1+\cos\theta}
Reply 7
Original post by jassi1
I want to show that y=2x+1 y = \sqrt{2x+1} is r=11cosθ r= \frac{1}{1-cos\theta} in Polar form.

Thus r=11cosθ r = \frac{1}{1- \cos \theta} or r=11+cosθ r = \frac{-1}{1+cos\theta}

01+cosθ20 \leq 1+ \cos \theta \leq 2, so r12r \leq - \frac{1}{2}.

Can't have a "negative radius", can you?
Reply 8
What's wrong with negative r? Some of the Mei fp2 papers use to ask you to sketch the graph with any parts r<0 as a dotted line. (Not sure if they still do now) but it doesn't cause any problems does it?
Reply 9
Original post by iCiaran
What's wrong with negative r? Some of the Mei fp2 papers use to ask you to sketch the graph with any parts r<0 as a dotted line. (Not sure if they still do now) but it doesn't cause any problems does it?

Hmm, yeah, you're right, I forgot that -r was used as convention for the opposite direction.

The only explanation here then would be if they were asking him to prove it for a range of theta like 0θπ0 \leq \theta \leq \pi

Quick Reply

Latest