The Student Room Group

OCR AS Latin Literature F362 4th June 2013

Doing Cicero and Ovid...

What sections do people think will come up?
How did you find it?:smile:
I thought it was alright considering how panicked I was beforehand! I like how the 10 markers were fairly vague so I could just cram in what I remembered!
What were other people's thoughts?
I felt like such a tool translating dissimulare as dissimulate :P
I thought the questions and passages were nice! But I have such an issue with timing :frown: my 10 markers were kinda jumbled as I was trying to get down all my thoughts, so I've probably lost a few marks in those, but hopefully everything else will be fine! :smile:
Reply 5
I was so happy that poem 14 came up; I focused most of my revision on 5 and 14 as those didn't come up last year, but I just hate talking about the stupid cow dream.
Reply 6
I thought it was a good exam! What did people put for the question that quoted ch 62: At, credo,
in hisce solis rebus indomitas cupiditates atque effrenatas habebat: ceterae libidines eius ratione aliqua aut modo continebantur.
? It was either 2/3 marks....

Timing really seems to be an issue: the language has way too much allocated time, they could easily cut it down to 1 hour, because you can check everything about 20 times.... yet literature needs another 30 minutes. How does this make any sense? The exam board have made it completely unequal....

Did anyone else think that they gave too little space in the answer booklet? Half a page for an 8 mark essay? Because of the lack of space I had to use another booklet which meant I lost more time which was rushed enough anyway!
Reply 7
Original post by Piguy
I was so happy that poem 14 came up; I focused most of my revision on 5 and 14 as those didn't come up last year, but I just hate talking about the stupid cow dream.

ugh same 5 is such a stupid poem ew.
i resent that more cicero than ovid came up though
Reply 8
Original post by hines
I thought it was a good exam! What did people put for the question that quoted ch 62: At, credo, ? It was either 2/3 marks....

Timing really seems to be an issue: the language has way too much allocated time, they could easily cut it down to 1 hour, because you can check everything about 20 times.... yet literature needs another 30 minutes. How does this make any sense? The exam board have made it completely unequal....

Did anyone else think that they gave too little space in the answer booklet? Half a page for an 8 mark essay? Because of the lack of space I had to use another booklet which meant I lost more time which was rushed enough anyway!

Yeah, definitely way too little space for writing, it's rather strange for OCR, as in their english exam the exam paper had a ridiculous amount of pages; I much prefer the board to have a separate question and answer booklet which they're phasing out (this was the first year for latin it was combined)

Timing is also an issue, but I suppose it stops people rambling on too much and forces you to write concisely - it also rewards those who learn their translations really well as you can knock those questions out ery quickly and so you have more time for the critical questions than people who have to think about it and look at the latin to translate; still needs to be 1hr language / 2 hr literature.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Piguy
Yeah, definitely way too little space for writing, it's rather strange for OCR, as in their english exam the exam paper had a ridiculous amount of pages; I much prefer the board to have a separate question and answer booklet which they're phasing out (this was the first year for latin it was combined)

Timing is also an issue, but I suppose it stops people rambling on too much and forces you to write concisely - it also rewards those who learn their translations really well as you can knock those questions out ery quickly and so you have more time for the critical questions than people who have to think about it and look at the latin to translate; still needs to be 1hr language / 2 hr literature.

Absolutely agree with everything you said! I prefer a separate booklet and if they are going to combine questions and answer spaces, they shouldn't reduce the amount of space for answers! I genuinely think I lost about 5 minutes in that exam (because of timing constraints that actually accounts for a lot in that exam!) by flicking through pages and booklets.

I can see where you're coming from about timing, but there really needs to be a balance. Classics, for example, does give sufficient time to write just about all that is required, but not giving too much time (like Latin language). I agree about translation questions - I didn't have an issue with them, as I could answer all of them in about 5 minutes, but the style questions and the essays are an issue. Perhaps (and probably) I was tempted to write too much for the style questions, but there really is a timing issue overall!

Anyway....:biggrin: it's all over - for this year anyway. What did you put for that question 'what desires does.... refer to'?
Reply 10
Apparently Poem 5 might not have been written by Ovid.
Reply 11
Original post by hines

....Anyway....:biggrin: it's all over - for this year anyway. What did you put for that question 'what desires does.... refer to'?

I put something like
"his thefts at Aspendus, in particular the two statues he has at his implevium
I checked he was talking about those statues just before that section, though I'm worried about specifically saying Aspendus as that was way back at the beginning and the statues were originally on the island of Samos! I should have just put his thievery in general.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by PodgyBoy
Apparently Poem 5 might not have been written by Ovid.

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Piguy
I put something like I checked he was talking about those statues just before that section, though I'm worried about specifically saying Aspendus as that was way back at the beginning and the statues were originally on the island of Samos! I should have just put his thievery in general.

There was a gap between the first extract and this one, and I checked my translation at home and basically the previous chapter is just about taking beautiful statues and portraits and about the two from Juno's temple which he keeps at home. What were they expecting as an answer is the issue :s-smilie:

This exam has really thrown me! :frown: I was hoping for a high grade overall but now I'm just worried!
What did you guys put for that 1 mark question asking why Cicero said he would pass over everything that could be denied so he could get to Sicily? Its annoying me
Reply 15
Original post by dangermouse123
What did you guys put for that 1 mark question asking why Cicero said he would pass over everything that could be denied so he could get to Sicily? Its annoying me

Wasn't it asking why he said he would pass over it? Then the answer would be 'so he could get to Sicily'.
Reply 16
Original post by Brekekex
Wasn't it asking why he said he would pass over it? Then the answer would be 'so he could get to Sicily'.

Yeah, it was a bit of a time waster as I mentioned that in the previous part which was meant to be only what he was doing, so I had to rewrite it again.
That's what I thought but the bit where he says 'so he could get to Sicily' was part of what the previous part of the question that asked you to explain what he said. In the end I put so he could blacken verres name without going into detail by expressing the quantity of his crimes?
Reply 19
Was it only 14 and 5 that came up as the two main sections?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending