The Student Room Group

WJEC PH2 Waves and Particles 5th June 2013

Good luck to everybody today !

I am hoping there is a lot of calculations over wordy questions (love calculations). This June's PH1 was apparently 'easy' so we may be in luck and have PH2 nice, or, on the contrary, they could play a bluff and make it super hard.

Either way, good luck!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hardly any calculations and a few really wordy answers in my opinion. Found it okay but there were a few tricky questions. Fingers crossed for low grade boundaries and that I've done enough for an a overall :smile:
Reply 2
What was that!!!!!! Hardest past paper for sure?

What did everyone get for the 1 millionth question btw?
Reply 3
Original post by mo_sudani
What was that!!!!!! Hardest past paper for sure?

What did everyone get for the 1 millionth question btw?

I think the answer was 60mm
Reply 4
Original post by jacked
I think the answer was 60mm

I had 7 reflections and that was 84mm :/

How did u get 60 btw
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
I had 7 reflections and that was 84mm :/

How did u get 60 btw

I got that it was 5 reflections - it said find how long it travels before the power is a millionth of the light that was incident at P - it will take 6 reflections to get to a millionth, and therefore 5 reflections to get to a millionth of the light incident at P
I FOUND IT REALLY HARD TOO! had quite a few blanks...I HATED the ray questions...what answers did u guys generally get for the ray answers?

I liked question 1 & 8..
Does anyone remember any of the answers and total marks for question 2?
Reply 8
I thought that 3 marks for doing 5*12mm was dubiously generous so I multiplied it by sqrt(2) to find the actual distance traveled by the light...
That was awful. Anyone agree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I could actually cry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by MPEC
I thought that 3 marks for doing 5*12mm was dubiously generous so I multiplied it by sqrt(2) to find the actual distance traveled by the light...

I thought the same at first, the question wasn't great, but I'm pretty sure it asked for the distance from P (i.e. parallel to the axis).
Reply 12
Original post by jacked
I got that it was 5 reflections - it said find how long it travels before the power is a millionth of the light that was incident at P - it will take 6 reflections to get to a millionth, and therefore 5 reflections to get to a millionth of the light incident at P

Ohhhhhh ffs I thought a millionth percent of what it was at the start :/ so from 100% it was 8 reflections and from P(10%) it was 7

Damnnnnnn
Reply 13
Original post by 212griffithss
That was awful. Anyone agree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree
I agree

ME TOO I hope everyone gets like 10-30mark ...so we all get As! sdhkdssd
Come on guys. It wasn't that hard... No trick questions, no hard explanations, no hard calculations. It was a flawless paper! Maybe lose a few marks here and there but overall it was all very simple.
Reply 16
For the reflection conversations, i got 6 reflections.

It wasn't that bad a paper, i found it very straight forward. I would have just preferred more calculations and less on waves. Other than that, i thought it was a good paper.

Edit: wow, both me and studentroom negged for thinking it was an okay paper...mature.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
I got 5 reflections because one millionth is 1*10-6 and therefore the first reflection doesn't count as it's at P, so there's 5 others. I think my answer was 80mm something like that. I did the zig zag distance and not parallel distance though. It wasn't really very clear. The question was distances travelled from P wasn't it? Or was it distance from P?

EDIT also what did everyone get for the microphone question of why there is no longer maxima or minima points?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by hywel12345
EDIT also what did everyone get for the microphone question of why there is no longer maxima or minima points?

I said that due to the frequency decreasing, the wavelength increased to a wavelength greater than 0.32m (fringe seperation), or something along those lines.
I think there were six reflections as it was millionth which is 1/1000000 and 10% it reflected so 0.1. Therefore it was log0.1(1/1000000) = 6. Then I think the answer was 72mm. Because tan45 = 1 so it was 12mm x 6

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending