The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Economics and Business Unit 4b: Trains 20/06/13

I've not seen any thread on this and i just wanted to start one if i could.

The pre-release is on trains and i was wondering if theres anything someone could share on it. Its quite difficult and the exams on the 20th so i suppose we have some time to go over it.

PLEASEEEE HELPP!!! :-)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm doing this exam, but been focusing a bit more on unit 3 on Wednesday.
Reply 2
Original post by B-Stacks
I'm doing this exam, but been focusing a bit more on unit 3 on Wednesday.

Yup, I'm also doing unit 3 tomorrow! Quite nervou though, I don't think I have the best exam technique!

Any help or advice for a person in need?
Reply 3
Resitting unit 3 don't know how I got a C first time :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
But indeed how are people studying for unit 4?

Reply 5
Original post by fitaap05
Yup, I'm also doing unit 3 tomorrow! Quite nervou though, I don't think I have the best exam technique!

Any help or advice for a person in need?

Not too sure as this is my first time doing it. But I would say when you read the questions make sure you know what topic they are talking about from the syllabus and then you can't go wrong. Evaluation! For the larger marks make sure you evaluate your analysis points you have made. You can pick up marks for saying very little there.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by GemmaSmith

Just trying to make sure I know the pre-release inside out and that I understand every thing in the syllabus. Also to remember the main arguments for and against the HS2.
Reply 7

Read the whole Wikipedia page for rail industry! And read the full article of the pre-release, there should be a website underneath at the end.

Does anyone have any specific notes on the pre-release they want to share?
Reply 8
Guys for unit 3 tomorrow.. For analysis on unit 3, did you give multiple reasons or just develop 1? Eg difficulties entering new market 'different consumer tastes, may struggle to generate sales, could reduce profitability.' Stop there or say, 'also, communication all problems from not everyone speaking English may increase costs' etc?

Reply 9
Im doing unit 3 tomorrow as well, hopefully better than last time, but God knows!

Unit 4, anyone have any tips for the 20/30 mark questions, we never did these in school and i never know where to start and then just end up going off topic completely!??!
Reply 10
Guys for unit 3 tomorrow.. For analysis on unit 3, did you give multiple reasons or just develop 1? Eg difficulties entering new market 'different consumer tastes, may struggle to generate sales, could reduce profitability.' Stop there or say, 'also, communication all problems from not everyone speaking English may increase costs' etc?

Basically, just add loads of points!

Remember though, during ASSESS and EVALUATE add words such as however and talk about the other side! Usually long run and short run could help and EVERY QUESTION ADD CONTEXT.

lol I added capitals to try and reinforce it.
Reply 11
Original post by hannahc28
Im doing unit 3 tomorrow as well, hopefully better than last time, but God knows!

Unit 4, anyone have any tips for the 20/30 mark questions, we never did these in school and i never know where to start and then just end up going off topic completely!??!

Just remember to talk about the question, keep referring back to the question and always talk in context.

Have you got any wider reading around the pre release or any points on the evidences you could share?
Basically, just add loads of points!

Remember though, during ASSESS and EVALUATE add words such as however and talk about the other side! Usually long run and short run could help and EVERY QUESTION ADD CONTEXT.

lol I added capitals to try and reinforce it.

Thank you so much!

I've only just seen the context thing on the mark scheme!! What exactly does it mean to add context?

Reply 13
Thank you so much!

I've only just seen the context thing on the mark scheme!! What exactly does it mean to add context?

If the questions on dell, say cheaper labour could help DELL as they need to be cost efficient in every possible way to increase profits. Technology is a fast moving market which is always expanding therefore having extra profits could help reduce risks.

Change the word dell to Cadbury and it won't make sense as Cadbury has nothing to do with technology. Now THAT is context.

By the way don't use my answer, I made it up. Your answer will also need application marks, so bring in quotes from the sources.

Last but not least, remember PEE from English in gcse. USE THAT!!!
If the questions on dell, say cheaper labour could help DELL as they need to be cost efficient in every possible way to increase profits. Technology is a fast moving market which is always expanding therefore having extra profits could help reduce risks.

Change the word dell to Cadbury and it won't make sense as Cadbury has nothing to do with technology. Now THAT is context.

By the way don't use my answer, I made it up. Your answer will also need application marks, so bring in quotes from the sources.

Fantastic I think I understand! Never knew about this, thank you!!

It's just the longer questions that need to be in context, is this correct I think the 6 and 8 markers are just know app, analysis but it doesn't need to be in context?

Thank you!

Reply 16
It's just the longer questions that need to be in context, is this correct I think the 6 and 8 markers are just know app, analysis but it doesn't need to be in context?

Thank you!

Well, yeah you are right but I've been reading examiners reports and the examples they give are always in context. So just be safe and add context, remember, you'd rather do more than less!

Usually goes like this for a 6 marker:
2 for knowledge
2 for application
2 for analysis

That goes back to my point on PEE - point evidence and explanation. Essentially that's what knowledge, application and analysis is.

For 8 marks its the same but you just need to analyse more.
Reply 17
This might not be that helpful but in our class we are not allowed to use the words company/business/owner/product :smile: so basically sub it in :smile:
Reply 18
And thank god you made a thread! I'm stressing like hell! Anyone got an resources they could share? In the 4a thread someone put up 15 essays..I was screaming because I didn't know half of it..but then I realised hahaha but yeah :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by loknath
And thank god you made a thread! I'm stressing like hell! Anyone got an resources they could share? In the 4a thread someone put up 15 essays..I was screaming because I didn't know half of it..but then I realised hahaha but yeah :smile:

Unfortunately no ones really got anything, well if they do they arent sharing it. Do you by chance have ANYTHING?

if not, an idea could be we could all go over the evidences and give our input on it? Up to you guys really...

Quick Reply

Latest