The Student Room Group
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website

How many hours of classes can be expected in first year & other Qu's

Been offered a place for Business and Economics starting in September, and haven't received any details on how many hours per week will be spent in lectures, seminars and tutorials, and how many days will this be spread across?

Also was looking for a recommendation on what accommodation I should be looking at considering my subject? I'm under the impression some will be more/less suitable based on location in relation to the primary buildings I'll be attending for my classes (another thing I'm in the dark about currently) and the demographic of the students that will be living there.

Thanks for your help.
Reply 1
Six modules of which there is one hour for each lecture and one hour for each tutorial associated with each module. There are also optional drop-in sessions for most modules and some are more useful than others (probably 2 of the 6).

So in terms of contact time you are looking at around 12-14 hours per week.

The location of your lectures will be in: Maxwell Upper Hall , Lady Hale, Chapman Building and possibly Mary Seacole (though this might not be the case for your year). All your tutorials will most likely be in Maxwell Building, unless you choose to study Law for Business in which case you'll have tutorials in Lady Hale for that.

I would look at these forums for your choice of accommodation; but the demographics for students are similar as the students who live in halls tend to be 18-21 year olds. Salford has a high percentage of mature students, but anecdotally it seems that many of Salford's mature students are still in their twenties.

All the accommodations have their own little intricacies. But you'll find people rave about Castle Irwell's community feel and IQ is also often a place students return to for their second year of accommodation. If you're feeling lazy live on campus in Horlock or Constantine.

PRO-TIP: Don't buy any textbooks for your course, most if not all are available as ebooks through the library's online service.

Hope that helps!
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website
Reply 2
Thank you, very helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending