The Student Room Group

2.2 in first year (warwick)

Hi guys.

Well, today I got my results back for my first year results in studying maths at Warwick. I have to say I'm disappointed. I ended up on the cusp of a 2.1 (less than one percent away), but ultimately on a 2.2.

Admittedly, I didn't work as hard for my january exams, one of which was a main, core module (and I scored a weak 40% in that). So that gave me the kick to work for this term, which I did. And I did quite well in my Algebra and Analysis modules, but awful in some smaller modules such as probability (35%) etc. and unfortunately, those added to culminate in an average less than 60%.

If classifications didn't exist, then I'd be content; however, they do. And therefore I'm feeling quite down, because I'm very close to the 2.1, yet so far away. I really hope I can succeed next year but I feel like a bit of a waste of space.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences and can share/ give advice? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Gamma
Hi guys.

Well, today I got my results back for my first year results in studying maths at Warwick. I have to say I'm disappointed. I ended up on the cusp of a 2.1 (less than one percent away), but ultimately on a 2.2.

Admittedly, I didn't work as hard for my january exams, one of which was a main, core module (and I scored a weak 40% in that). So that gave me the kick to work for this term, which I did. And I did quite well in my Algebra and Analysis modules, but awful in some smaller modules such as probability (35%) etc. and unfortunately, those added to culminate in an average less than 60%.

If classifications didn't exist, then I'd be content; however, they do. And therefore I'm feeling quite down, because I'm very close to the 2.1, yet so far away. I really hope I can succeed next year but I feel like a bit of a waste of space.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences and can share/ give advice? :frown:

You're not a waste of space. In fact, you didn't even do that badly. Suppose you got 59% (you can adjust this with your actual mark). That mark counts for 10% of your degree, so to get a 2.1 overall you will need to average on your remaining years (0.6-0.59*0.1)/0.9 = 60.1% which is perfectly manageable.

A word of warning though - the later years get harder and these kicks don't appear so often. So you have to kind of force yourself to work more, and I've found that this can be difficult. Maybe you could use this year's results as a kick to tell you that you need to increase the amount of time you spend on each module.
Reply 2
Original post by ttoby
You're not a waste of space. In fact, you didn't even do that badly. Suppose you got 59% (you can adjust this with your actual mark). That mark counts for 10% of your degree, so to get a 2.1 overall you will need to average on your remaining years (0.6-0.59*0.1)/0.9 = 60.1% which is perfectly manageable.

A word of warning though - the later years get harder and these kicks don't appear so often. So you have to kind of force yourself to work more, and I've found that this can be difficult. Maybe you could use this year's results as a kick to tell you that you need to increase the amount of time you spend on each module.

Aah thanks a lot. I know I have to of course. I've already started doing work for next year.

The problem was I didn't devote enough time to every module. So my main modules were ok but my optionals were kind of bad overall.
Reply 3
I thought first year didn't count for anything? I guess maybe it does at Warwick then.

It's not the end of the world either way. You still have year 2 and 3 to go. You said yourself that you could have put more work in so just take this as a lesson. As for modules such as Probability, not much you can do. Some modules you may find difficult no matter how much work you put in. But if you work hard in everything, one or two bad modules shouldn't have too much of an effect.

On my Maths degree, only 2nd and 3rd year counted. I averaged 59.5% in my 2nd year so I spent the entire of third year being nervous that I'd get a 2.2 overall. But I worked so hard and averaged over 65% in my third year and I got my 2.1.

Seriously, unless you've got no aptitude for numbers (which obviously isn't true as you managed to get into Warwick) then hard work will get you that 2.1 or even a First. I wouldn't worry.
Reply 4
Original post by Pixie911
I thought first year didn't count for anything? I guess maybe it does at Warwick then.

It's not the end of the world either way. You still have year 2 and 3 to go. You said yourself that you could have put more work in so just take this as a lesson. As for modules such as Probability, not much you can do. Some modules you may find difficult no matter how much work you put in. But if you work hard in everything, one or two bad modules shouldn't have too much of an effect.

On my Maths degree, only 2nd and 3rd year counted. I averaged 59.5% in my 2nd year so I spent the entire of third year being nervous that I'd get a 2.2 overall. But I worked so hard and averaged over 65% in my third year and I got my 2.1.

Seriously, unless you've got no aptitude for numbers (which obviously isn't true as you managed to get into Warwick) then hard work will get you that 2.1 or even a First. I wouldn't worry.

It accounts for 10% of my degree. However, even so, that isn't much. I mean let's say I achieved 70%, well in total that would mean I put forward 7% towards my degree as opposed to 5.9% (my current score); I'm hoping I can recuperate that 1.1% quite easily in another year.

The only thing to worry about is your understanding of maths, rather than your grade, I've realised.
Reply 5
Original post by Gamma
It accounts for 10% of my degree. However, even so, that isn't much. I mean let's say I achieved 70%, well in total that would mean I put forward 7% towards my degree as opposed to 5.9% (my current score); I'm hoping I can recuperate that 1.1% quite easily in another year.

The only thing to worry about is your understanding of maths, rather than your grade, I've realised.

What you need to watch out for (and which has caught me out in the past) is to make sure you go to every lecture and do every question on every assignment sheet. Seriously. In the later years, it gets a lot easier to slip up on this since more homeworks aren't for credit and you'll be in more lectures where you don't know anyone else. Although it can feel like you're learning everything from scratch in the revision in term 3, in reality you're only able to do this because you covered the material ages ago.
Reply 6
Original post by ttoby
What you need to watch out for (and which has caught me out in the past) is to make sure you go to every lecture and do every question on every assignment sheet. Seriously. In the later years, it gets a lot easier to slip up on this since more homeworks aren't for credit and you'll be in more lectures where you don't know anyone else. Although it can feel like you're learning everything from scratch in the revision in term 3, in reality you're only able to do this because you covered the material ages ago.

I completely agree with this. It's so easy to get lazy and not do any exercise sheets when you know it doesn't count towards your mark. And on top of going to lectures, make sure you're actually taking it all in and taking decent notes that you can make sense of. When I began my final year, I made sure I recapped everything after lectures to make sense of it. If you don't do that, you'll soon find that you're going to lectures and feeling completely lost. And it's amazing the difference it makes when you complete all the exercise sheets, particularly when you get given a graded assignment a few weeks down the line.

But again, a high 2.2 in your first year is nothing to worry about IF you start working harder. You still have two years so if you work hard this coming year, it will really take the strain off the third year.
Reply 7
Original post by ttoby

Thanks very much for this advice! I do really appreciate it :smile: To Pixie too, I appreciate yours!

I mean, it's not that I didn't work that hard. I managed a 2.1 in Analysis, and firsts in Algebra/DEs. But some optionals were catastrophically bad. A mixture of that and not using Seymour!!! (Only did 121 CATS - don't know why) is bad..
Original post by Gamma
Hi guys.

I do the same degree course as you. The first thing to say is that the Maths Dept will tell you how much worse people do in Year 2 than in Year 1 but don't let that put you off - I improved 8% between those two years so you can do it!

My advice would be:

* Attend all your lectures. I know two people graduating with 2.2s/thirds this year and neither of them did this. Even if you have printed lecture notes or can't follow lectures, I think going to them provides you with a marker of where you should be, which acts as a motivator to work.
* Sign up to supervisions in Term 2 and, importantly, ask questions, even if it's just "can you explain what XYZ is?"
* Year 2 exams take place in Weeks 7-9 so, whilst there's loads of time to revise, make sure you use it all.
* Go over Analysis III over the Christmas break. It will help a lot for modules like Differentiation and Metric Spaces.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Gamma

I studied Comp science, which was hardcore - maths on the other hand must be a nightmare.
Reply 10
Original post by Gamma
Thanks very much for this advice! I do really appreciate it :smile: To Pixie too, I appreciate yours!

I mean, it's not that I didn't work that hard. I managed a 2.1 in Analysis, and firsts in Algebra/DEs. But some optionals were catastrophically bad. A mixture of that and not using Seymour!!! (Only did 121 CATS - don't know why) is bad..

That's the thing - it's the optional ones that can bite you when there is not as much pressure on you from others to do well, and later on there will be more optional ones. It is a good idea to overcat - I've usually done 120 CATS + 1 module each year which gives a little boost to your mark but without you being swamped.
Reply 11
I don't understand? You didn't work hard enough, got a lower grade than you wanted and now you're crying about tit?
Original post by peter12345
I don't understand? You didn't work hard enough, got a lower grade than you wanted and now you're crying about tit?

University is 25% hard work and 75% strategy.
Reply 13
Original post by electriic_ink
University is 25% hard work and 75% strategy.

Keep telling yourself that party boy.
Keep telling yourself that party boy.

But it is. And once you realise that, it becomes quite easy to keep on top of the work. Perhaps if you'd have taken my advice, you wouldn't have found it such a struggle.
Reply 15
But it is. And once you realise that, it becomes quite easy to keep on top of the work. Perhaps if you'd have taken my advice, you wouldn't have found it such a struggle.

Oh look here we have an edgy badass. Caring enough to spend time searching through my posts for something to say against me. Real cool. Perhaps if you were actually at the university with me following my every move then you would be better placed to make assumptions about what I id dat university. There were some problems (robberies, family death etc) meaning that I was behind through no fault of my own, Before even doing the exam I decided that I wasn't going to be able to catch up and simply dropped out. How is that the same as partying and flopping your exams?
Caring enough to spend time searching through my posts for something to say against me.

You make it sound like a lot of effort. It took less than seven minutes (check the times the posts were submitted).

Real cool. Perhaps if you were actually at the university with me following my every move then you would be better placed to make assumptions about what I id dat university. There were some problems (robberies, family death etc) meaning that I was behind through no fault of my own, Before even doing the exam I decided that I wasn't going to be able to catch up and simply dropped out.

You still gave up, rather than letting the university know what happened and asking to take the rest of the year out.

How is that the same as partying and flopping your exams?

Because the OP did neither of those things and wants to improve?
Reply 17
You make it sound like a lot of effort. It took less than seven minutes (check the times the posts were submitted).

You still gave up, rather than letting the university know what happened and asking to take the rest of the year out.

Because the OP did neither of those things and wants to improve?

You spent seven minutes on a random anonymous online stranger. You're not helping your case. That is sad.

Maybe I spoke with the university about it and they were the ones to recommend that I take the year out?
You spent seven minutes on a random anonymous online stranger. You're not helping your case. That is sad.

It's justice. If you don't like it, don't be a dick.
Reply 19
It's justice. If you don't like it, don't be a dick.

- Attacking my anonymous online profile
- Justice

So you think you affected my life?

Do tell me how it feels to have so much power to ruin someone's life with just a touch of your mighty keyboard?

Quick Reply

Latest