The Student Room Group

Alternatives to Pupillage

Well it seems that the pupillage hunt remains as elusive as ever for the majority..just wondering whether anybody has any ideas as to alternative careers after the BPTC? Has anyone considered doing anything as wild as converting to another career altogether..say medicine that is supposedly vocational?
Paralegalling awaits

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PupillageHunter1
Well it seems that the pupillage hunt remains as elusive as ever for the majority..just wondering whether anybody has any ideas as to alternative careers after the BPTC? Has anyone considered doing anything as wild as converting to another career altogether..say medicine that is supposedly vocational?

If I don't get pupillage this year I think I will start a hunt for an alternative career. Problem is I've been so committed to being a barrister since school that all my work experience etc is Bar related.
I am completely unfamiliar with other careers...

Think I'll need to start from square one and maybe consult a careers advisor?
Reply 3
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
Paralegalling awaits

Posted from TSR Mobile

don't beat around the bush !
If you go into legal publishing you are allowed to call yourself a barrister if you have been called. The prohibition on using the term until you have completed pupillage only applies to the delivery of legal services.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GatewayApplicant
If I don't get pupillage this year I think I will start a hunt for an alternative career. Problem is I've been so committed to being a barrister since school that all my work experience etc is Bar related.
I am completely unfamiliar with other careers...

Think I'll need to start from square one and maybe consult a careers advisor?

Yes, thats the difficulty...its very hard convincing future employers that you are committed to a career thats not bar related! Back to the careers advisor I go too!
Reply 6
Become a stock broker/insurance broker? I know I have made that sound like a walk in the park but surely passing the BPTC with 'very competent' or 'outstanding' would speak volumes for your abilities to sell, communicate, think quickly, carefully and close numerous deals. The BPTC would equip you with relevant transferable skills, no? Just a thought. I know many brokers who have become barristers, none vice versa.
Reply 7
Become an MP
When I was job hunting after the BPTC, I was offered a costs advocate role. I ended up turning it down, but it seemed like a nice way to remain in the legal sector and get involved in some advocacy. Costs law though... :erm:

Most of my friends ended up:

1) At Deloitte
2) Paralegalling - some in quite good firms earning a very decent wage (more than they would get in pupillage)

As for all the bar experience and how this may appear to employers: be honest with them but put a positive spin on it. "I liked the idea of being a barrister but it is very competitive and it didn't happen. However, look at all these wonderful skills I can bring to your company...

If you are still keen on becoming a barrister but looking for a job in the interim, think carefully about interview questions concerning your aspirations to go to the bar. It probably isn't a good idea to admit that you will actively be seeking pupillage and will run away should you obtain one.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by InnerTemple
When I was job hunting after the BPTC, I was offered a costs advocate role. I ended up turning it down, but it seemed like a nice way to remain in the legal sector and get involved in some advocacy. Costs law though... :erm:

Proves that you are at heart a barrister though.

Costs, the dearest subject to a solicitor's heart!
Original post by nulli tertius
Proves that you are at heart a barrister though.

Costs, the dearest subject to a solicitor's heart!

*shudders*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending