The Student Room Group

Work experience, volunteering and shadowing

Hey everyone,

I am doing a combined degree in Criminology and Law part time and work part time.

I was trying to explore opportunities for work experience, volunteering and shadowing.

I have sent an email off to CAB and the local Law Centre in my area.

I wondered if anyone else had any ideas?

I live in the North East but also remote opportunities could be good too.

Thanks.
Original post by Mark_.
Hey everyone,

I am doing a combined degree in Criminology and Law part time and work part time.

I was trying to explore opportunities for work experience, volunteering and shadowing.

Thanks.

hallam had a good programme bak in the day
Reply 2
Hey!

I think that what you could do is to try to get involved in university societies and pro bono schemes with your university. Those would be a good experience to take some responsibility but also get experience with client-facing positions such as the pro bono role. In addition, there are also paralegal positions, which could help you get experience. These are also great because you could see what it is to work in law firms and to do admin work. Lastly, you could also consider doing a vac scheme at a law firm or in-house. Commercial Law Academy has a great course on alternative legal careers which you could explore.
Original post by Mark_.
Hey everyone,

Thanks.

Hi @Mark_.

I would recommend reaching out to independent firms if you are interested in getting work experience as a solicitor. They may get back to you saying that they do not offer any work experience but there is no harm in trying and if you can get some it will be invaluable. Equally, if you are interested in becoming a barrister I would research different mini pupillages to see if some chambers near you take students who are yet to finish their undergraduate degree as, once again, this will give you the best insight. Other than that, I would research different pro bono charities such as the Schools Consent Project or the National Centre for Domestic Violence etc. to see if you can do any work as a student volunteer for them.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending