The Student Room Group

international grads of the Bar Course

Hey, I am currently doing the LLB and intend taking the bar course in Uk after which I will relocate to my home country in Africa to practice . Is pupillage a requirement for international students who don’t intend practicing in uk before they are called to any of the Inns? In other words, is pupillage a pre requisite to the call ceremony when new lawyers get to put on their lawyerly attire for the first time ?
Original post by Lou25081977
Hey, I am currently doing the LLB and intend taking the bar course in Uk after which I will relocate to my home country in Africa to practice . Is pupillage a requirement for international students who don’t intend practicing in uk before they are called to any of the Inns? In other words, is pupillage a pre requisite to the call ceremony when new lawyers get to put on their lawyerly attire for the first time ?

Hi @Lou25081977,

In order to be called to the bar by an Inn of Court in the UK you need to have completed a qualifying law degree (your LLB), have completed the BPC and have done the Qualifying Sessions required by the Inn of Court (these are 10 sessions run by the Inn which you do during your BPC and include things like advocacy workshops and lectures or dinners etc.). Once you have completed all of these then you are called to the bar by your Inn when you wear your wig and robe and are pronounced barrister. Therefore, there is no need to complete pupillage before this.

However, I would warn you to check that your home country will accept the UK BPC as qualifying to work as a barrister in their country. I know that the majority of countries require their barristers to complete their own set of qualifications as the legal systems may be different (no point learning in the UK BPC all about court procedure laws and criminal laws if they are not relevant in your own country).

I hope this helps!

Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending