The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I just pm-d him a list of about 10 restaurants from London's most popular areas, surely that would be sufficient.
Reply 61
Original post by Gillybop
Jeez, you had better enjoy it, when you get a job you probably won't have £100 a week to blow on crap.

oh did you not know? hes networking and going to walk into a 100003849284924832 pounds a year job at a big bank and become and mega trader
Original post by CJKay
You're a student now. You don't buy coffee every day and you definitely don't go out for meals. I thought, given you obviously have the smarts to get into Oxbridge, you would have figured this out by now.

I most definitely will go out for meals. It's a basic human right
Reply 63
£100 per week is nowhere near enough.

You'll need to be buying three to four coffees per day, preferably from Starbucks; none of this "make your own" peasant trash. The average student simply can't live on water; it has to be coffee. £50 per week, minimum.

You'll also need to buy new clothes to wear at least twice a week. Preferably something fairly high-priced, so you're always keeping up to date with the latest fashions and trends. £150 per week.

And we haven't even got started on food; you'll need to be visiting restaurants regularly (students shouldn't have to cook their own meals, do I look like I'm from a third world country?), and dipping into your wallet to dine on the finest British meats, topped off with creamy deserts. And don't forget the pricey champagne too- that's £60 per meal. Double that for dinners if you can afford it (but pretty much every student can, so cost isn't an issue here). So that's £840 per week. Breakfast? The most important meal of the day; you'll need £20 for a great, healthy full English breakfast. So that's another £140 per week.

We haven't even got to stationery yet. You'll need a new pack of pens every week, so you never run out. Forget WHSmith notebooks and colouring pencils; you need the best quality. £20 for perfumed parchment, per week, and another £10 for fountain pens. That's £30 per week.

You also need to be happy; that means, nights out with your mates. £120 per week.

Since you like to save money, I think the best thing to do would be to take a typical, cheap British taxi; £10 to get to the restaurant and then the same for the return journey. Twice per day, and then for the whole week, that's £280 per week.

So, with just the bare essentials, we're already up to £1,610 per week, not including accommodation costs. £100 per week- who do they think they are, telling us we can live on that amount?
Hey. I am going to be joining uni in September and was wondering how much I will need per month considering accommodation is paid for? I'll be living in Canterbury. Also, I'll most probably be cooking for myself. Any help will be appreciated and I will be living quite close to campus so transport costs may not be as high :smile:
Reply 65
Original post by ThatOxbridgeGuy
I most definitely will go out for meals.

It's a basic human right

Just stepped over the 0/10 troll line. 'Grats.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 66

so we should increase benefits so EVERYONE can afford to live off £100 a week totally disposable income them

if you dont agree with that you cant support your own argument
Original post by Zhy
£100 per week is nowhere near enough.

You'll need to be buying three to four coffees per day, preferably from Starbucks; none of this "make your own" peasant trash. The average student simply can't live on water; it has to be coffee. £50 per week, minimum.

You'll also need to buy new clothes to wear at least twice a week. Preferably something fairly high-priced, so you're always keeping up to date with the latest fashions and trends. £150 per week.

And we haven't even got started on food; you'll need to be visiting restaurants regularly (students shouldn't have to cook their own meals, do I look like I'm from a third world country?), and dipping into your wallet to dine on the finest British meats, topped off with creamy deserts. And don't forget the pricey champagne too- that's £60 per meal. Double that for dinners if you can afford it (but pretty much every student can, so cost isn't an issue here). So that's £840 per week. Breakfast? The most important meal of the day; you'll need £20 for a great, healthy full English breakfast. So that's another £140 per week.

We haven't even got to stationery yet. You'll need a new pack of pens every week, so you never run out. Forget WHSmith notebooks and colouring pencils; you need the best quality. £20 for perfumed parchment, per week, and another £10 for fountain pens. That's £30 per week.

You also need to be happy; that means, nights out with your mates. £120 per week.

Since you like to save money, I think the best thing to do would be to take a typical, cheap British taxi; £10 to get to the restaurant and then the same for the return journey. Twice per day, and then for the whole week, that's £280 per week.

So, with just the bare essentials, we're already up to £1,610 per week, not including accommodation costs. £100 per week- who do they think they are, telling us we can live on that amount?

The majority of those items will be covered by my parents, thankfully. I dread to think how normal people survive. (Although I suppose they receive the my parent's taxes in the form of bursaries anyway)

I think you need to look those up, actually. Privacy and education are basic human rights. Not going out for meals when you could learn to cook like any normal person.
Which restaurant? Even cheap mainstream places like Wagamama cost about £20/head?

I've been to Wagamama once and only spent about £10-11 there for one person.

Latest

Trending

Trending