The Student Room Group

TSR's Girls vs Boys Biology Challenge

Inspired by a thread I saw in the maths section, I thought it'd be a good idea to have a little game up in the biology forum, which can also be good for revision, learning new material or just a little fun! :biggrin:

Rules are quite simple, a user will post a biology question (to make it fair, we'll make the difficulty of the questions at A-level/GCSE level).

The first person to answer correctly will score a point for their gender! If the girls answer a question correctly, the score will decrease by 2 points. If the boys answer the question correctly, the score will increase by 2 points.

For example, we'll start on 50, girls win if the score reaches 0, whilst boys win if the score reaches 100.
Girl: 40
Boy: 42
Girl: 40

If you notice an incorrect answer, then we'll carry on as normal but feel free to quote the person letting them know what the right answer is.

After answering the question, write another question for everyone to answer.

Make sure you write the score in your post so we can keep track of it :h:
If there's a victory eg. the score reaches 0 or 100, quote me so I can update the OP so we can keep score of who's winning and start again at 50.

Boy's 1-0 Girls olliehus with the winner

Anyone can join in! Even if you're not studying biology :tongue:

I shall start: What are the 4 nucleotide bases in DNA?

(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Adenine, Guanine, Thymine, Cytosine.

What's a polysaccharides? (lol old A-level stuff. I hope it's not outdated if I did mine in 2006).
Reply 2
Polymer of monosaccharides (carbohydrate molecules) joined by glycosidic bonds :smile:

How many nucleotides are required to make a codon?

Reply 4
In regard to gaseous exchange in fish, explain what concurrent flow is!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by becdaly
In regard to gaseous exchange in fish, explain what concurrent flow is!

Posted from TSR Mobile

In fish, the blood flows in the opposite direction to the water, meaning fish are always able to maintain a high concentration gradient. This would not be the case if blood flow was in the same way as water flow. There's a nice explanation with pictures here if anyone's interested.

What's the chemical equation for photosynthesis?

Reply 6
Original post by Eloades11
In fish, the blood flows in the opposite direction to the water, meaning fish are always able to maintain a high concentration gradient. This would not be the case if blood flow was in the same way as water flow. There's a nice explanation with pictures here if anyone's interested.

What's the chemical equation for photosynthesis?

6CO2 + 12H2O + Light energy from sun --> C6H12O6 + 6O2 + 6H2O

I hope it's correct :P

Follow up:

What is pyrosis?
{I don't understand the marks scheme, Eloades}
Reply 7
Original post by Dynamo123
6CO2 + 12H2O + Light energy from sun --> C6H12O6 + 6O2 + 6H2O

I hope it's correct :P

Follow up:

What is pyrosis?
{I don't understand the marks scheme, Eloades}

Looks close enough to me! Pyrosis is chestburn I believe? (There isn't really a mark scheme, so I guess we'll assume every answer people put is correct, I'll update the OP to be a bit more clearer)

What are the 3 main components of a nucleotide?

Looks close enough to me! Pyrosis is chestburn I believe? (There isn't really a mark scheme, so I guess we'll assume every answer people put is correct, I'll update the OP to be a bit more clearer)

What are the 3 main components of a nucleotide?

Isn't it...the base (adenine, etc), sugar and phosphate?

Where does chemiosmosis occur?
Reply 9
Yes :P

The three main components of a nucleotide are:
1. Pentose sugar
2. Phosphoric acid
3. Nitrogenous base
:biggrin:
Reply 10
Yes :P

The three main components of a nucleotide are:
1. Pentose sugar
2. Phosphoric acid
3. Nitrogenous base

Indeed (question please :biggrin: )
Reply 11
InadequateJustice: Across thylakoid membrane in photosynthesis. :biggrin:

What are F1 particles in mitochondria?
Reply 12
Decribe how a DNA molecule is replicated.
Reply 13
Original post by plaha123
Decribe how a DNA molecule is replicated.

I don't want descriptive questions!!! :O (just a little rant. :biggrin:)

DNA is replicated by the semi-conservative method. The DNA helicase unwinds the DNA double strand. The DNA polymerase starts the construction of the leading strand from the site of primer. The lagging strand is synthesized by the DNA polymerase in the form of short Okazaki fragments, which are later sealed by DNA ligase.
Reply 14
Ok bit lost on the score, we'll go with 60.

Give the definition of an antibody and an antigen :smile:
Reply 15
Here we go: :P
Antibodies: They are proteins called immunoglobulins synthesized by the vertebrates in response to antigens that destroy the antigens or immobilize them. They are specific i.e. they cause only the destruction of that antigen which caused their production. They are actually synthesized/manufactured in B Lymphocytes from where they are secreted in blood and lymph.

Antigens: These are more or less proteins called immunogens that stimulate the formation of antibodies.
Reply 16
I don't want descriptive questions!!! :O (just a little rant. :biggrin:)

DNA is replicated by the semi-conservative method. The DNA helicase unwinds the DNA double strand. The DNA polymerase starts the construction of the leading strand from the site of primer. The lagging strand is synthesized by the DNA polymerase in the form of short Okazaki fragments, which are later sealed by DNA ligase.

Correct. But I have no idea what the score is :/
Reply 17
Correct. But I have no idea what the score is :/

I've got the stuff explained in the OP, just trying to make a biology version of this thread here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2406274

Don't forget to ask a question once you've answered one, I'll ask the next one for you:

What are the bonds which hold the two strands of DNA together? (score is 62)
Reply 18
I've got the stuff explained in the OP, just trying to make a biology version of this thread here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2406274

Don't forget to ask a question once you've answered one, I'll ask the next one for you:

What are the bonds which hold the two strands of DNA together? (score is 62)

Ah okay I never read the OP :/ cheers.

And I think its hydrogen bonds between the bases
Reply 19
Ah okay I never read the OP :/ cheers.

And I think its hydrogen bonds between the bases

Correct, question please. Score now 64.

Latest