The Student Room Group

being short in the 'adult world'

rn I'm in high school and the people and my school (especially the girls) arent that tall so I've never felt that insecure but on days when I'm around people my age from other schools they're all so tall and it's like?? I'm 17 and 160cm and I'm worried that when I go to uni this year I'll be so insecure around everyone else, as the majority of them will probably be taller than me. if you're short at uni have you gotten used to it quickly and does it bother you?
Reply 1
Original post by AF2Dr
Are you male or female?

female, should've said that in the post oops
Heyy I'm 19 and in uni and i am also a short girl so definitely relate to ur issue. I felt short and belittled all throughout sixth form of ppl making comments, especially boys even year 7s would make passing remarks to me and i was a year 13 and i hated it too.
I entered uni and yes, i am still a short girl but i am not the only one. If you look around you, there are loadsss of short girls like urself so you are not alone. Yes, most girls are quite tall nowadays, to the point they are same height as most of the guys and it makes u feel like a absolute y'know makes u feel horrible.
But my advice would be that there are loads of girls like u and try not to feel insecure. The people at uni r a lot more mature and grown up in my experience, everyone is super nice and noone is gonna make an outrageous and outlandish remark about you or your height. It is also learning to accept urself- find clothes that make u feel good and short people are usually known for being a little more pushy and confident so challenge the norms and GO FOR IT !!
Uni is a great place and judgement free but try not to feel insecure, i know it can be hard and there are days where you're like 'oh i hate my short legs in this etc etc' but finding the right clothes and the confidence is the most important thing. Your height doesnt matter, you are so much more than your height.
Hope that helps and good luck at uni !! <33
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #2
Heyy I'm 19 and in uni and i am also a short girl so definitely relate to ur issue. I felt short and belittled all throughout sixth form of ppl making comments, especially boys even year 7s would make passing remarks to me and i was a year 13 and i hated it too.
I entered uni and yes, i am still a short girl but i am not the only one. If you look around you, there are loadsss of short girls like urself so you are not alone. Yes, most girls are quite tall nowadays, to the point they are same height as most of the guys and it makes u feel like a absolute y'know makes u feel horrible.
But my advice would be that there are loads of girls like u and try not to feel insecure. The people at uni r a lot more mature and grown up in my experience, everyone is super nice and noone is gonna make an outrageous and outlandish remark about you or your height. It is also learning to accept urself- find clothes that make u feel good and short people are usually known for being a little more pushy and confident so challenge the norms and GO FOR IT !!
Uni is a great place and judgement free but try not to feel insecure, i know it can be hard and there are days where you're like 'oh i hate my short legs in this etc etc' but finding the right clothes and the confidence is the most important thing. Your height doesnt matter, you are so much more than your height.
Hope that helps and good luck at uni !! <33

Thank you so much! I'm sorry to hear about your experience but I'm glad you feel better now!!
160 cm for a 17 year old girl / young woman is above the 25th centile you are by no measure 'short'

https://www.rcpch.ac.uk/resources/uk-who-growth-charts-2-18-years
Reply 5
I'm female 150cm. It's fine. Sometimes you'll get a comment but it's not that deep. 160cm isn't very short for a girl. You're fine.
I'm a 152cm male and I felt ok...as long as I didn't look in the mirror.
Tbh men don't care about a woman's height.dont worry about it
i'm that height as a guy, i just. stopped growing. my parents are pretty short too, that's just life, we move. plenty of the girls around me are 5'3!!! that's average not short lmao for a girl
height is just height, wear taller shoes if it makes you feel more confident but tbh i havent gone to uni but quite a few girls/boys are in the 5'3-5'5 range so it's not really a big deal
Original post by Anonymous #1
rn I'm in high school and the people and my school (especially the girls) arent that tall so I've never felt that insecure but on days when I'm around people my age from other schools they're all so tall and it's like?? I'm 17 and 160cm and I'm worried that when I go to uni this year I'll be so insecure around everyone else, as the majority of them will probably be taller than me. if you're short at uni have you gotten used to it quickly and does it bother you?

isn't 160cm normal? You're 5'2 or 5'3 right? So many girls from my school r that height, ur not alone dw
The TSR obsession with height continues...

Literally nobody cares about this stuff in the real world.
I'm the same height as you if not a fraction shorter, it was never a problem for me. I was at the shorter end of the majority of my peer group at uni though by no means the shortest but it wasn't an issue.

wear heels or big shoes
Reply 12
hun dw im 159.5 cm and i feel like im generally taller than most people (im 17 btw)
its a nice height, not too tall and not too short
xx
I know guys that go out of their way to date shorter girls. Frankly I don't think you're short for a girl. Short for a girl would be under 5 ft.

I'd be more worried about being overweight at uni 😀 but let's not go down that part shall we?!
Reply 14
many smaller ladies have made a success of their lives. Queen Victoria, Florence Nightingale, JK Rowling and Stevie off Miranda are/were all comfortably under 5 feet tall.
5”3 is no way short for a girl considering the average is 5”4 so you should be fine. Short really only start about 5”0.
Personally, I think anywhere between 5”2-5”6 is average for a woman. However short and average girls are usually preferred by men whilst tall girls are so eye catching and look like models. There is no bad height :smile:.
I'm 18 and 149-150 cm, which is pretty short for a girl my age. I've been through the struggle but literally I've heard comments on my height so much now that I just can't be bothered anymore. Honestly, at Uni level, it doesn't even matter anymore. Surround yourself with people that don't make you feel insecure and secondly, understand that you can't do anything about it because you didn't create yourself. Lastly, I wish I was your height because that's average height, so don't worry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending