The Student Room Group
If you're only thinking of switching to German because you're better at it, don't. A-levels are a lot more work than GCSEs and you really have to enjoy your subjects to motivate yourself to get through it. I'm not saying you don't enjoy German, but it sounds like you prefer English lit. There is a step up from GCSE, as with any subject, in that it's more about analysing and you have closed text exams, but you get used to it fairly quickly and it's not too bad. I got an A at GCSE and was only 3 marks off an A at AS. You haven't got your results yet- you might get an A*. Lots of people, myself included, did 1 or 2 grades better than they were expecting in English lit.
Reply 2
I am fluent in German, got 4 of full marks at GCSE, yet am not doing AS or A2 German, despite there being a number of Germans at my school who do the A2 course in one year.

I only got an A at GCSE Eng. Lit., but an A* in the mocks. I enjoy (most of) English; it's good fun going through the plays and stuff, although I don't take much to the poetry.

I reckon that you might well enjoy the eng lit course, so go for that. Talk to your teachers as well, as they'll be able to tell you about the novel/play/poetry you'll be doing next year, and talk to your German teacher to know what's involved in the German Alevel. And pick the one you'll enjoy the most.

Is it hard? No, not particularly. Especially if you're in the A/A* category at GCSE.

If I were in your position (which, in a way, I was...) I would go for Eng. Lit. :smile:
Reply 3
lol english lit is a great a-level i just missed an A* at GCSE and have only dropped 2 marks so far in the whole A2, theres a lot of freedom in the course and i've enjoyed it loads, plus in german you'l have to do oral exams!! and they're actually evil at a-level all my mates have been terrified.
tessa250
lol english lit is a great a-level i just missed an A* at GCSE and have only dropped 2 marks so far in the whole A2, theres a lot of freedom in the course and i've enjoyed it loads, plus in german you'l have to do oral exams!! and they're actually evil at a-level all my mates have been terrified.

German is a good subject, v. interesting, and the topics can be quite good. Languages are also very welcoming after double periods of maths or whatever! I love em, (studied 4 this year.)
tessa250
plus in german you'l have to do oral exams!! and they're actually evil at a-level all my mates have been terrified.

I second that- I do French and I love it, but the oral exams scare the hell out of me :frown:
Hey ho...I love languages (really I do) but have had to drag myself to my German lessons in the last 2 years coz I have had the worst teacher imaginable (think comb-over and socks and sandles...need I say any more??!!?) but I do think that you should choose subjects you love, coz otherwise you'll just end up regretting it...chat to your teachers...but if they tell you that you do a german lit exam (called Topics and Texts) instead of c/w in the 2nd year, do english lit, coz the lit is SOOOOO stressful!
Reply 7
I have done both English Lit and German at AS and I'm continuing them both for A2. I prefer English because there is such a scope for opinions of your own and wide reading and discussion etc, whereas German has the scary oral exam and you have to learn a lot of facts about Germany to write the essays. I have found German harder than English, but then I want to do and English degree so I'm biased. :p: Why not try both at AS and see?

BTW: I got 3 marks off an A* in English Lit and and A* in German, but I'm predicted a high A in English AS and A/B for German AS. It's really up to you to decide.
I chose German instead of English Literature. Reading the kind of books that the English course offered are of no interest to me at all.
German is probably better to choose than English - it's a foreign language and therefore will open loads of doors for you. However you must choose what inspires you most - if you don't enjoy it, you will not put the work in - you need to put the work in at A level.
Viel Gluck mit deiner Zukunft und ich hoffe, dass du den rightigen Fach wahlst.

Latest