The Student Room Group

A level preparatory work

Hi, I'm taking A-level German, history, and English lit next year. Can anyone recommend some preparatory work I can do for these subjects? I do have some initial assignments but I was wondering if there is anything else I should do to get me a bit ahead.
Reply 1
always have a look at the syllabus, and try and figure out what topics you can get started with looking at for example any texts you’ll be studying in english. if you can read these ahead of time (without much real analysis, just getting to know the texts) then you’ll save yourself a bit of work mid-year
Reply 2
Original post by rwnsl
always have a look at the syllabus, and try and figure out what topics you can get started with looking at for example any texts you’ll be studying in english. if you can read these ahead of time (without much real analysis, just getting to know the texts) then you’ll save yourself a bit of work mid-year

Thanks! Do you/have you studied any of these?
Reply 3
Original post by Glemon
Thanks! Do you/have you studied any of these?

i studied combined english at a level which is slightly different to pure english lit (similar principles and texts, just some small differences) and i definitely think reading your texts ahead of time is super important :smile:
hi! i do french, english lit and history.
- with english lit i would recommend reading ur texts and make notes of like key quotes and stuff like that. it will help you going forward because you won't have to sift through novels later. i would also recommend brushing up on literary techniques so you don't get lost during discussions in class
- history- find out what topics you are doing and do a little bit of background research just to have some prior knowledge. its not necessary but its just good practice. honestly just having a scroll through the wikipedia page or Brittanica will be enough.
- languages. have a brush through of ur gcse grammar topics. maybe do some practice exercises on languages online. familiarise yourself with the syllabus so ur not lost during the lessons.
-general- you dont have to do too much. just enough so that u can get ur brain working again once you get back to school. if your school allows laptops in sixth form you can figure out a note-taking app that you are comfortable with. i would recommend getting a separate book for new vocab for german.

good luck! the jump from gcse to a level can be big but if ur prepared and you stay on top of things u should be fine :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by emanashique
hi! i do french, english lit and history.
- with english lit i would recommend reading ur texts and make notes of like key quotes and stuff like that. it will help you going forward because you won't have to sift through novels later. i would also recommend brushing up on literary techniques so you don't get lost during discussions in class
- history- find out what topics you are doing and do a little bit of background research just to have some prior knowledge. its not necessary but its just good practice. honestly just having a scroll through the wikipedia page or Brittanica will be enough.
- languages. have a brush through of ur gcse grammar topics. maybe do some practice exercises on languages online. familiarise yourself with the syllabus so ur not lost during the lessons.
-general- you dont have to do too much. just enough so that u can get ur brain working again once you get back to school. if your school allows laptops in sixth form you can figure out a note-taking app that you are comfortable with. i would recommend getting a separate book for new vocab for german.

good luck! the jump from gcse to a level can be big but if ur prepared and you stay on top of things u should be fine :smile:

This is so helpful!
Original post by Glemon
This is so helpful!

nw!!! let me know if you need anymore help :smile:
Original post by Glemon
Hi, I'm taking A-level German, history, and English lit next year. Can anyone recommend some preparatory work I can do for these subjects? I do have some initial assignments but I was wondering if there is anything else I should do to get me a bit ahead.

I've just finished A-level German (as well as French & History) and honestly I wish I'd kept more on top of my grammar over the holidays as it felt like I had to learn it all over again! Nothing too intense, I'd say just make sure you're familiar with the tenses you learnt at GCSE, and anything extra like cases, adjectives, subjunctive is a bonus!
> I honestly didn't do too much prep work for german but I had a little look at the sort of topics I'd be studying, and did a little research into them, for example famous festivals in Germany or how the education system works. i did all this research in english but it helped when we came to do the topic as I already had a bit of background knowledge :smile:

For history I literally did no prep work - although I do think doing a little bit of research would've been beneficial-if you know your topics maybe try listening to podcasts or watching YouTube videos, although I wouldn't do too much as A-Level history is a lot of info and you never know what parts of the topic you need to learn and not!

hope your start to A-levels is good and that you enjoy your subjects:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by average_human
I've just finished A-level German (as well as French & History) and honestly I wish I'd kept more on top of my grammar over the holidays as it felt like I had to learn it all over again! Nothing too intense, I'd say just make sure you're familiar with the tenses you learnt at GCSE, and anything extra like cases, adjectives, subjunctive is a bonus!
> I honestly didn't do too much prep work for german but I had a little look at the sort of topics I'd be studying, and did a little research into them, for example famous festivals in Germany or how the education system works. i did all this research in english but it helped when we came to do the topic as I already had a bit of background knowledge :smile:

For history I literally did no prep work - although I do think doing a little bit of research would've been beneficial-if you know your topics maybe try listening to podcasts or watching YouTube videos, although I wouldn't do too much as A-Level history is a lot of info and you never know what parts of the topic you need to learn and not!

hope your start to A-levels is good and that you enjoy your subjects:smile:

So helpful!! Could you please share any resources that you've found particularly helpful?
Original post by Glemon
So helpful!! Could you please share any resources that you've found particularly helpful?

ofc! first, I would recommend your exam board's website-I did eduqas and there was loads of past papers and exercises on there
also, I'll attach some grammar documents :smile:
I also used quizlet literally every day, for at least 5 minutes to practice the vocab of whatever topic we were doing in class - you can either search for sets or make your own
and I also watched Netflix - dogs of berlin and dark were my favourite series

hope this helps ! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by average_human
ofc! first, I would recommend your exam board's website-I did eduqas and there was loads of past papers and exercises on there
also, I'll attach some grammar documents :smile:
I also used quizlet literally every day, for at least 5 minutes to practice the vocab of whatever topic we were doing in class - you can either search for sets or make your own
and I also watched Netflix - dogs of berlin and dark were my favourite series

hope this helps ! :smile:

wow! Thanks a lot!!!
Reply 11
Original post by Glemon

Hi, I just finished my German A-Level in June and one thing that definitely would have helped me is making sure you have a general understanding of all the basic grammar rules - I can't remember what I already knew before starting A-Level but I remember always feeling behind the rest of the class because I was unsure on certain things. And obviously grammar is sorta the foundation for being able to speak accurately anyway so its always good to know these things.
Hope this is helpful? :smile:
Reply 12
Hello, how are you progressing?

Quick Reply

Latest