The Student Room Group

Maths, Biology or Natural Sciences - which one should I take?

A few days ago, I tried looking up Biology at Cambridge University, and, as a result, found out that they had a course named 'Natural Sciences.' Looking at their course video really engaged me with the course and made me consider taking it.

I really want to take a Science at University, if I am not successful in becoming a Commercial Pilot, but I'm not sure which one to choose. Since secondary school, Maths has always fascinated me, but since I have started my GCSEs, I have become more and more intrigued about (Human) Biology. And I don't know which to pick!

The Natural Science course at Cambridge, and other Universities, allow you to explore different sciences in Years 1 and 2, which will allow me to discover whether my passion lies with Maths or Biology. I'm wondering if anybody has taken a Natural Science course, and if they'd recommend it, and whether or not people with a Maths degree enjoyed their course?

Many Thanks!
Reply 1
I tend to separate maths from the other sciences when it comes to undergrad. as it's so vastly different from A-Level. I'd recommend looking at some 'bridging the gap' mathematics materials (there's one by two Warwick undergrads available as a book, I think, and the Oxford maths institute website has a good PDF on the Prospective Applicant pages)

Generally, I think if you're interested in all the sciences you won't be satisfied studying maths. The Natural Science course at Cambridge is ideal for someone who just loves science and wants to explore all the different routes of chemistry/biology/physics - where you can still get a quantitative fix without needing to study a maths degree.
Reply 2
Original post by Noble.
I tend to separate maths from the other sciences when it comes to undergrad. as it's so vastly different from A-Level. I'd recommend looking at some 'bridging the gap' mathematics materials (there's one by two Warwick undergrads available as a book, I think, and the Oxford maths institute website has a good PDF on the Prospective Applicant pages)

Generally, I think if you're interested in all the sciences you won't be satisfied studying maths. The Natural Science course at Cambridge is ideal for someone who just loves science and wants to explore all the different routes of chemistry/biology/physics - where you can still get a quantitative fix without needing to study a maths degree.

Thanks for your reply! They offer Maths as an option to study, so wouldn't that give me a taster of that too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Its important to note that at Cambridge specifically maths and natural science are separate and distinct programs with different entry requirements and if you start on natural science then you cannot switch to maths once you get there (going from maths to natural science is possible though if you take the physics option in 1st year maths) as it would potentially allow some people to bypass having to do STEP. Also, you would not have done enough maths in 1st year of natural science to have a chance of passing 2nd year maths.
Reply 4
Original post by kingaaran
Thanks for your reply! They offer Maths as an option to study, so wouldn't that give me a taster of that too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you talking about the Maths A/Maths B/Maths for Biology etc. options offered in the Natural Sciences modules in first year? Because if so that's very different to what a maths degree is like in Cambridge. Those modules are very much to equip scientists with the mathematical tools they need rather than to study maths alongside the other sciences.

If you're just finishing GCSEs then I'd try and explore both the Biology route and the Maths route by looking at some material meant for prospective applicants for both courses (much like Noble has suggested in the post two above this one).

If you start A-Levels and find that you like the sort of maths they teach you there (very much "Here's a method, now apply it to situations" rather than "Let's have a look at why this works"), and moreover prefer it to the sort of maths explored in this "Bridging the gap" material Noble has suggested, then I would feel Natural Sciences is the course for you as that very much takes mathematical methods taught in University and teaches them in an A-Level manner (Minimal justification given according to my Natural Science friends). If the reverse is true, and you feel you can give up Biology then Maths may be the way to go, instead.

Realise, also, that Cambridge is not the only University in the world (not implying that you think this or are so narrow minded as to imagine so, just saying because it's the only University that's been discussed so far), and that many other Universities might offer a joint degree in mathematics and biology.

In particular, I find Scottish Universities do a wide array of courses that one can mix and match (or at least it seems so from their courses catalogue), and there will be Universities in England that have joint degrees as well.

Bare in mind with this however, that you may be left wanting in your desire to learn for both fields as joint courses can leave you in the position of being a Jack of All Trades, but Master of none.

The Natural Sciences Tripos at Cambridge is different to this as it is renowned for its intensity and people acknowledge that an average graduate will come out after 3/4 years of study with a knowledge base in his/her chosen field equivalent to if he had just chosen to study that specific field for 3/4 years rather than do Natural Sciences. There may be other courses with such a reputation around the Universities in Britain, but being a student at Cambridge, I wouldn't know and can't comment.

Also, like qno2 said, maths at Cambridge comes with the added worry of STEP, which is, make no bones about it, very hard. This also applies to Warwick, Bath, Imperial (sometimes), and Bristol (sometimes). There is that to consider as well.

Sorry for the essay! :redface:

I thought I might as well give you a comprehensive list of things to mull over. If you just entering A-Levels then you don't need to consider all of these immediately. For now, just have a look at courses and universities you might like, and go from there.
Reply 5
Original post by SParm
Are you talking about the Maths A/Maths B/Maths for Biology etc. options offered in the Natural Sciences modules in first year? Because if so that's very different to what a maths degree is like in Cambridge. Those modules are very much to equip scientists with the mathematical tools they need rather than to study maths alongside the other sciences.

If you're just finishing GCSEs then I'd try and explore both the Biology route and the Maths route by looking at some material meant for prospective applicants for both courses (much like Noble has suggested in the post two above this one).

If you start A-Levels and find that you like the sort of maths they teach you there (very much "Here's a method, now apply it to situations" rather than "Let's have a look at why this works"), and moreover prefer it to the sort of maths explored in this "Bridging the gap" material Noble has suggested, then I would feel Natural Sciences is the course for you as that very much takes mathematical methods taught in University and teaches them in an A-Level manner (Minimal justification given according to my Natural Science friends). If the reverse is true, and you feel you can give up Biology then Maths may be the way to go, instead.

Realise, also, that Cambridge is not the only University in the world (not implying that you think this or are so narrow minded as to imagine so, just saying because it's the only University that's been discussed so far), and that many other Universities might offer a joint degree in mathematics and biology.

In particular, I find Scottish Universities do a wide array of courses that one can mix and match (or at least it seems so from their courses catalogue), and there will be Universities in England that have joint degrees as well.

Bare in mind with this however, that you may be left wanting in your desire to learn for both fields as joint courses can leave you in the position of being a Jack of All Trades, but Master of none.

The Natural Sciences Tripos at Cambridge is different to this as it is renowned for its intensity and people acknowledge that an average graduate will come out after 3/4 years of study with a knowledge base in his/her chosen field equivalent to if he had just chosen to study that specific field for 3/4 years rather than do Natural Sciences. There may be other courses with such a reputation around the Universities in Britain, but being a student at Cambridge, I wouldn't know and can't comment.

Also, like qno2 said, maths at Cambridge comes with the added worry of STEP, which is, make no bones about it, very hard. This also applies to Warwick, Bath, Imperial (sometimes), and Bristol (sometimes). There is that to consider as well.

Sorry for the essay! :redface:

I thought I might as well give you a comprehensive list of things to mull over. If you just entering A-Levels then you don't need to consider all of these immediately. For now, just have a look at courses and universities you might like, and go from there.

Thank you very much for your informative and thorough response - it's great! :biggrin:

Yes, I am describing that course. I want to be a pilot, so if I don't get into training straight away, I will study for a degree in either Maths, Natural Sciences, Pathology or English Language and Literature. I think that my passion lies with both Maths and Biology, but I am more committed to Maths. On a whole level basis, I spend more time doing Maths, than I do spend learning Biology, but when I do study Biology, I only enjoy learning about Human Biology, especially diseases, hence Pathology being an option. The only problem is that I don't know which one to choose, which is why I thought the flexibility of the Natural Science course would be useful.

Currently, I'm doing my GCSEs. In September, I will be in Year 11, but I will also be doing A Level Maths, alongside my 9 other GCSEs. I have self-taught it, and enjoyed learning all the identities, proofs and differential concepts, alongside the other fantastic topics! I find proof interesting, but I prefer getting given a problem and having to find a numerical value, rather than having to prove a trigonometric identity, for example. I enjoy the concept of differentiation and integration, and they are my favourite mathematical concepts, so what would you say that leans more towards - Natural Science's Maths or Pure Maths? Another reason for the Natural Science option is that it will support my ambition to be a Pilot, as I'd be able to improve my mathematical knowledge, whilst also having the ability to extend my ability on the forces of drag, weight etc., but then again, I could take Maths with Physics. See, I keep extending my options! :h:

I do understand that Cambridge is not the only University in the world, but I will only apply for Natural Sciences at Cambridge. If I don't go to Cambridge, I'd either study: Pathology, Pure Maths or English Language and Literature. If I do enjoy A Level English, I will study it at University, so that if I do get fed-up of flying an aeroplane for hours-and-hours, I can become an English teacher! In fact, I have a summer school to Cambridge, Jesus College, this summer, so I will be asking some questions about both of the courses there.

Yes, STEP seems very hard, but it seems to rely on knowledge from A Level Maths, and Further Maths, so once I have self-taught myself Further Maths, it shouldn't be that difficult, although I am not undermining its extreme difficultly.

Anyways, once again, thank you for your advice. It's so helpful! Thanks! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by kingaaran
Thank you very much for your informative and thorough response - it's great! :biggrin:

Yes, I am describing that course. I want to be a pilot, so if I don't get into training straight away, I will study for a degree in either Maths, Natural Sciences, Pathology or English Language and Literature. I think that my passion lies with both Maths and Biology, but I am more committed to Maths. On a whole level basis, I spend more time doing Maths, than I do spend learning Biology, but when I do study Biology, I only enjoy learning about Human Biology, especially diseases, hence Pathology being an option. The only problem is that I don't know which one to choose, which is why I thought the flexibility of the Natural Science course would be useful.

Currently, I'm doing my GCSEs. In September, I will be in Year 11, but I will also be doing A Level Maths, alongside my 9 other GCSEs. I have self-taught it, and enjoyed learning all the identities, proofs and differential concepts, alongside the other fantastic topics! I find proof interesting, but I prefer getting given a problem and having to find a numerical value, rather than having to prove a trigonometric identity, for example. I enjoy the concept of differentiation and integration, and they are my favourite mathematical concepts, so what would you say that leans more towards - Natural Science's Maths or Pure Maths? Another reason for the Natural Science option is that it will support my ambition to be a Pilot, as I'd be able to improve my mathematical knowledge, whilst also having the ability to extend my ability on the forces of drag, weight etc., but then again, I could take Maths with Physics. See, I keep extending my options! :h:

I do understand that Cambridge is not the only University in the world, but I will only apply for Natural Sciences at Cambridge. If I don't go to Cambridge, I'd either study: Pathology, Pure Maths or English Language and Literature. If I do enjoy A Level English, I will study it at University, so that if I do get fed-up of flying an aeroplane for hours-and-hours, I can become an English teacher! In fact, I have a summer school to Cambridge, Jesus College, this summer, so I will be asking some questions about both of the courses there.

Yes, STEP seems very hard, but it seems to rely on knowledge from A Level Maths, and Further Maths, so once I have self-taught myself Further Maths, it shouldn't be that difficult, although I am not undermining its extreme difficultly.

Anyways, once again, thank you for your advice. It's so helpful! Thanks! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just going to sort of chip in. Congratulations, Mathematics a-level in year 10/11 is very impressive and Cambridge would undoubtedly value that.

How many a-levels are you planning on doing?. Do you think doing four full a-levels would be better than doing three, on terms of applying for Cambridge?.

Personally, i'm better at pure science as opposed to pure mathematics; well in hindsight i've developed a purer scientific background. I see mathematics as the basis of Physics; then of course chemistry branches of Physics and Biology branching of chemistry, as does Geology. Complex organic molecules are the basis of Biology. So on a quantitative scale Mathematics is the god if you like.

I like to apply mathematics analytically to scientific problems, so natural science mathematics is ideal for me. Also, in the chemical engineering course, there is a mathematics paper every year.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest