The Student Room Group

Do you kill spiders in your house or free them?

Poll

Do you kill or free spiders you find in your house

So lately I've been wondering how many people kill spiders that they find in their house and how many people free them. Please select what you do in this private poll.

Feel free to give the reason why you do so in this thread, too. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Elcor
So lately I've been wondering how many people kill spiders the that they find in their house and how many people capture them and free them. Please select what you do in this private poll.

If they are in an annoying place then I catch them under a glass and move them somewhere they won't be a nuisance.

I'd much rather have a spider sitting innocuously in the corner than have a hoard of flying things buzzing about... and besides, if I squish them I have to clear up squished spider from somewhere...
Reply 2
Free them or leave them
Reply 3
1) I hate killing anything, no matter how small

2) Killing is usually messy, unless you flush it down the toilet
Reply 4
Original post by Elcor
So lately I've been wondering how many people kill spiders that they find in their house and how many people free them. Please select what you do in this private poll.

Once I saw this spider and tried to corner it (didn't have hoover at hand) and the more I was trying to corner it the more I felt guilty about wanting to kill it.

I did in the end, because I knew I wouldn't be able to find peace knowing it's there somewhere. And taking it outside, it would just end up inside again in a couple of days.
Reply 5
Original post by danny111
Once I saw this spider and tried to corner it (didn't have hoover at hand) and the more I was trying to corner it the more I felt guilty about wanting to kill it.

I did in the end, because I knew I wouldn't be able to find peace knowing it's there somewhere. And taking it outside, it would just end up inside again in a couple of days.

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you be able to find peace? Do you live in a place where they can actually harm you by biting/poison?
Reply 6
I just let them be. I don't kill them intentionally, but if there is too much spider web I get I get rid of it.
Reply 7
Well I lied, I don't touch them, I get my family to free them! I respect spiders and appreciate them but I am petrified of them.
Reply 8
Original post by Elcor
Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you be able to find peace? Do you live in a place where they can actually harm you by biting/poison?

Why do people think that you aren't allowed to have a fear or phobia of spiders if they don't pose an actual threat of harm?
Do you understand how phobias work?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
I generally will try to trap them using a glass, or lure them onto a piece of card, then release them through the window. I never purposely squash them, though I did last week when I scratched an itch that turned out to be a small garden spider.
I usually get other people to deal with them because I am terrified of them, but if I'm alone I'll throw stuff at them and hope they die because I can't sleep when I know they're in the house.

If I wasn't irrationally scared of them I'd put them outside like I do with moths, but I can't stand the thought of being near them let alone touch them.
I kill them, if you put them outside then they're just going to crawl back in again.

Plus spiders are a ridiculously ineffective way of killing flies, especially if they're in your house. Just kill the flies too :sogood:
Reply 12
I feed them and watch them grow. They are beneficial in the sense that they help rid the place of bothersome flies, but there is no control measure against bothersome children. One day my spiders will grow large enough, one day..
Reply 13
I make them walk onto a tissue then I take the tissue and place it outside. So basically I free them. I can't kill them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I tend to ignore them unless they're near where I sleep, but if I have to move them then I try not to hurt them... why be a dick? If it's anything that can bite or sting though, then **** them, they're about to become much flatter versions of themselves.
Reply 15
As much as I dislike seeing spiders around my house, I also hate killing them, I tend to ignore small ones, and get my parents to catch the large ones. There are usually released outside.
Free them in the hope one day they will remember my kindness and fight by my side when the time is right.

Also I find them rather adorable :innocent: and having a wall full of spider guts isn't exactly aesthetically pleasing.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Kill them, the world is already a scary enough place I don't need any more nightmare fuel. Also when I say kill them I mean I get someone else to kill them.
Reply 18
I like spiders, so I always try to free them. Same with moths, bees etc.
Hoover up those muthafuzzers

Quick Reply

Latest