The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Freshers 2013 Megathread

Congratulations if you've met your offer and are coming to Warwick this year! :h: Rather than flood the forum with a load of various threads, here's one that you can post in and stuff :tongue:

Adjustment and Clearing: Warwick still has places available for certain courses via Adjustment and Clearing, and you can find more information about this here.

Accommodation and Ask Anything!: There are other megathreads available, including one on Accommodation and one to ask Absolutely Anything, but feel free to ask something here and it should be answered :smile:

Firmers and Offer Holders: Fyi, the links to this years Firmers and Offer Holders threads are there.

Facebook: The Facebook page for freshers can be found here. Please share no personal information on this forum - that's what Facebook's for! :tongue:

If you need to get in touch with Warwick, they have a ''Confirmation Hotline'' available to you to ring, dedicated to serving you guys today and over the next coming days (Confirmation Hotline)

Orientation: For international students. This will run from the 24th and more information is available here.

Arrivals Weekend: 28th and 29th September. You can turn up on either of those dates, from about 9am on the Saturday to move into your accommodation. You will find out which accommodation you have been assigned in the second week of September (typically). Your individual room you've been assigned will not be available until the week before you arrive.

Courses: These will 'officially' start on Monday the 30th September. DO NOT believe UCAS and turn up on the 4th October. Check your individual department page for more information.

Freshers: This is run alongside lectures, so will start on the 28th/29th with 2 welcome parties. You will then have 2 weeks of freshers events (line-up here), but you will be expected to attend lectures as well.

Societies and Sports clubs: Start browsing guys! :tongue: . Societies and Sports

Look forward to the best 3/4 years of your life! :ahee:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Confirmed, oh yeah! :bunny:

Now to sit back and relax for a few years of studying and fighting with SFE.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Congrats peeps, I've handed over the thread to Nirgilis because I don't frequent the forum much at all (and I haven't really done since second year).

But congratulations everyone and have an absolute blast at Warwick :h:
Reply 3
BREAKING NEWS from WARWICK STUDENT'S UNION:

http://www.warwicksu.com

Freshers 2013 line-up announced:

28th September: MTV Welcome Party
29th September: MTV Welcome Party
30th September: Paint Party
1st October: Warwick Snow presents Avalanche!
2nd October: Pop!
3rd October: Jaguar Skills Live!
4th October: Get Funked** // Drop
5th October: Crash // MiTunes**
6th October: Warwick Comedy Society presents...
7th October: Hall Wars
8th October: Warwick Student Cinema Pub Quiz // Latin Night
9th October: Pop! // Quackstar Karaoke**
10th October: Cleverducks Pub Quiz**
11th October: FRESHERS PARTY! (Las Vegas Theme)
12th October: Beer Pong Tournament // Saturday Session**
13th October: Comedy Hypnotist

Wow! What a line up! You freshers have a lot in store for your first few weeks! :biggrin:

Individual tickets will go on sale (projected) on the 11th of September. Individual SU tickets will be in the region of £3-6 depending on the event, maybe more for special events. In order to buy tickets you will need to register for an ITS user account, which you do when you enrol (from the 11th of September). All tickets are stored electronically on your university card.

Freshers Passport: This will cost £58 and will get you into all union events from 30th September to 13th October (inclusive)

Platinum Pass: This will cost £200 and will get you into all union events all year!

Freshers T-Shirts: You can buy these at £5. **May include entry to MTV Welcome Party, but not guaranteed or confirmed**

Information for Under-18s: Due to problems with letting in under-18s in the past, you will, unfortunately, not be allowed entry to the clubnights. The SU have gotten a little bit better this year with non-drinking events, but it has been poorly advertised on the website compared with other universities who have special, 'non-drinking' sections of their website (something that has always bugged me about the SU). However, the starred events are available for Under-18s or non-drinkers. There may be alcohol available at these events, but you will be ID'd.

Fresher's Fair: Essentially your chance to turn up and get lots and lots of free goodies! This will run in the SU all day Saturday and all day Sunday, and is essentially the big company's opportunity to throw free items and leaflets at you. There will be useful information there as well, such as signing up for job websites, or getting that bit extra contents insurance. Go along anyway if none of this interests you, Domino's will be giving out free pizza all day! :ahee:

Indoor Market: On the 30th of September. This is essentially just a market. Pick up some cheap DVDs or clothes, and maybe some cakes!

Sports Fair: 1st October. This is the sports club's chance to throw THEIR advertising at you! Go along if you want to chat about anything to any of the sports clubs! They're all student run, and all very friendly! Who knows? Maybe Water Polo is your next big thing!

Society Fair: As for the sports fairs, this is your chance to have a browse of some of the societies that are on offer here at Warwick. As the university with most in the country, there will be something for everybody! This will be held on the 2nd and 3rd of October.

Democracy and Campaigning Fair: Fancy getting involved in union politics? Well this is your chance to find out more! You'll even be able to nominate yourself for the Union Council if you feel like getting involved straight away! This is on the 3rd October.

Volunteering Fair: On the 4th of October, Warwick Volunteers will be available from 10-3.30 to field any questions about volunteering here at Warwick. There're all sorts of projects, from volunteering at schools to digging and chopping in the woods to painting murals!

More information to follow...
(edited 10 years ago)
Subscribing :colone:
Reply 5
Hey everyone, congrats on getting into Warwick. Here at WarwickTV, the university's student-run TV station, we've put together some Survival Guides with advice about starting your course and settling in. Check them out here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8Ujt98q8Qc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xETexmAS7ow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kms4WVqcv8

and if you're interested in getting involved in WarwickTV, come and find us at the Freshers Fair in Week 1. We look forward to meeting you :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Mastermind2
Subscribing :colone:

Well, lots more stuff's just been updated for you :colone:
Reply 7
The volunteering fair is on the 4th from 10 till 4 :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by nuttygirl
The volunteering fair is on the 4th from 10 till 4 :biggrin:

Updated, thanks :h: . This isn't on the SU website and is behind a password on the warwick volunteers page :tongue: . Maybe something you should consider getting into the wider web so freshers can start to have a look? (or get in touch with someone who can do this?) :h:
Original post by Nirgilis
Updated, thanks :h: . This isn't on the SU website and is behind a password on the warwick volunteers page :tongue: . Maybe something you should consider getting into the wider web so freshers can start to have a look? (or get in touch with someone who can do this?) :h:

We've just added it to the SU site now :smile:
Reply 10
Subbed
Are all the events taking place will have some presence of alcohol by any chance...I HOPE NOT! By the way who else is doing classical archaeology and ancient history
Reply 12
Original post by FrustratedGirl
Are all the events taking place will have some presence of alcohol by any chance...I HOPE NOT! By the way who else is doing classical archaeology and ancient history

I have this gripe with the SU also. Some of the events, such as the quizzes, don't require alcohol, but it certainly will be available!

Your best bet is to jump into societies and sports club sessions. They generally tend to be free in the first few weeks, you have fun and there's no alcohol! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Been accepted to study Maths (or any joint degree involving maths modules)? Then don't forget to join the Maths freshers group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/warwickmaths13/ and the Warwick Maths Society group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/WarwickMathsSociety/. These groups are both run by the Warwick Maths Society and are very useful for communicating with other people on the course and for finding out about upcoming society-run events.
I have this gripe with the SU also. Some of the events, such as the quizzes, don't require alcohol, but it certainly will be available!

Your best bet is to jump into societies and sports club sessions. They generally tend to be free in the first few weeks, you have fun and there's no alcohol! :tongue:Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh thank God! I really hope everything goes down really well. - Do not want to be surrounded by drunkards or else I think I would be confined to my room lol.
Reply 15
Oh thank God! I really hope everything goes down really well. - Do not want to be surrounded by drunkards or else I think I would be confined to my room lol.

That's one of the reasons Warwick doesn't have a dedicated freshers week :nah: . Seriously, do jump into societies straight away. After freshers fortnight, people generally tend to calm down and drink less frequently :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's one of the reasons Warwick doesn't have a dedicated freshers week :nah: . Seriously, do jump into societies straight away. After freshers fortnight, people generally tend to calm down and drink less frequently :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oooh so cool!! What type of societies are there? By the way, which subject are you studying at Warwick?
Reply 17
So excited.
Reply 18
So excited!! So happy I've got in to Warwick, I just want to start doing everything now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Oooh so cool!! What type of societies are there? By the way, which subject are you studying at Warwick?

Heh. There's all sorts of societies! :teeth: . Seriously, I cannot tell you, you need to explore yourself... :ahee: . I'm personally part of the Student Cinema and Juggling societies, so nothing niche as it were :yep:

I study Chemical Biology here at Warwick. Just going in to my third year, so more than qualified to answer any questions you might have! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest