The Student Room Group

"A" Grade too easy to obtain?

I just received 4 As as my AS results. I'm not thrilled because an A simply means I may have lost 20% of the marks on the paper. In what world is that a good result?

I think an A should be 90% of UMS, or an A* grade be introduced.

What are your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It depends on what subjects you took. No need to boast haha.
Reply 2
Original post by sertobe
It depends on what subjects you took. No need to boast haha.

Maths, chem, bio, maths.

I am not boasting but there is honestly nothing special about an A anymore.
A is the highest you can get thats really good you have to complete the whole thing ti get an A* im confused by wat ur sayin
Reply 4
Imagine you didn't get an A. You wouldn't be saying what you just said.
Reply 5
Original post by Aneesah_May
A is the highest you can get thats really good you have to complete the whole thing ti get an A* im confused by wat ur sayin

No, I'm afraid you have to average 90% in A2 on top of an A overall for an A*
Reply 6
Just because you find it easy doesnt mean they are hard. If you do not think they are enough of a challenge why not do IB
lol what a bellend.
Reply 8
Original post by vanessap
Just because you find it easy doesnt mean they are hard. If you do not think they are enough of a challenge why not do IB

IB is pointless for medicine.
Reply 9
Original post by IAmABaws
I just received 4 As as my AS results. I'm not thrilled because an A simply means I may have lost 20% of the marks on the paper. In what world is that a good result?

What are your thoughts?

Why? Ums already differentiates between those in the A grade category, which is why A*s are only awarded at A level. Only your universities need to know what your ums is. You're just asking to be differentiated from those achieving lower As in a more public way by requesting the A* grade at AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by yorkshire.lad
lol what a bellend.

Negged
Reply 11
You can't get an A* in AS...
Reply 12
Original post by nespix
Why? Ums already differentiates between those in the A grade category, which is why A*s are only awarded at A level. Only your universities need to know what your ums is. You're just asking to be differentiated from those achieving lower As in a more public way by requesting the A* grade at AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Precisely!
Original post by sertobe
No, I'm afraid you have to average 90% in A2 on top of an A overall for an A*

Their point was that if 90% UMS was an A you'd have to get 100% for an A* (in relation to the thread posters comment)
Negged

You mad? Met my medicine offer today, Going to med school in 3 weeks. Enjoy your "a's" you noob.
Like to see them say this when doing physics, lol!
Just be happy with your results and i bet you won't be saying this next year, when you'e doing your A2's :tongue:

I got two A's and a C (Biology, Geography and Physics) and i'm proud of them!

What are your thoughts?

This is really the most stuck-up and insensitive thread i've seen all day. On a day where people haven't necessarily gotten the grades they wanted, threads like this only serve to upset and belittle them for their under-performance... or under-value the achievements of those who have got what they deserve. Good for you for getting 4As, it seems to have come at the expense of compassion and a sense of reality.
Reply 17
Maths, chem, bio, maths.

I am not boasting but there is honestly nothing special about an A anymore.

Congratulations, you find AS levels straight forward. Good for you, do you want a pat on the back?

For many, its a challenge and the real obstacle in gaining that university offer is A2. If you think AS is a breeze, try A2 and come back to me when you got 3 clear cut A*'s. Just because YOU found half of the A level straight forward, does not mean the majority does.

If getting an A isnt special, then why haven't more universities taken the approaches such as Cambridge which requests the raw marks to differentiate the higher band earners with the lower ?
Reply 18
Original post by AlanAlty
Their point was that if 90% UMS was an A you'd have to get 100% for an A* (in relation to the thread posters comment)

100% is unreasonably impossibe lool (for A level to say the least).
Original post by sertobe
100% is unreasonably impossibe lool (for A level to say the least).

I know, I was just saying as it wasn't obvious what the previous person was talking about. Weirdly I got 100% in Geography today- complete surprise

Quick Reply

Latest