The Student Room Group

What to do with low AS grade and wanting to apply for Medicine

Hi all,
I got a B in Psychology E in Chemistry and D in Biology for AS not the grades I expected at all :frown: just wanted some advice on what I should do about applying for Medicine, I've been considering Extended Medicine programs as some University entry requirements are BBB and sometimes BBC
Any advice??
Reply 1
Hi :smile: Firstly..don't loose hope! I got my AS results back yesterday and was in a state for a good 5 hours before I saw sense. I got BBCC and was devastated. Then I realised, hey, I didn't revise for English and I'm 6 UMS off a B - i'll boost that, drop my other C and boost one of my B's to an A by working my ass off next year to get ABB.

You can do the same! If you keep that B and work hard to boost Biology to a B. And then retake chem next year? Or, you could try and raise the B to an A, the D to a B and the E to a C = BBB.
This all depends where you were within the boundary, of course in how easy this will be to do. Alternatively you could always resit the year? Are you 100% certain that medicine is for you?
Original post by Shajada
X

To be honest from what I've heard from my friend who's applying for medicine, the competition is so tough I don't think you could make a competitive application with BED. If I was you I would resit the year and aim to get AAA, maybe take up another AS and then apply after resitting :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by theCreator
To be honest from what I've heard from my friend who's applying for medicine, the competition is so tough I don't think you could make a competitive application with BED. If I was you I would resit the year and aim to get AAA, maybe take up another AS and then apply after resitting :smile:

I dont think I'll retake the year, I know Medicine is an incredibly competitive course, however I am sure I want to go for it, so I guess Ill just do anything I can to raise the grades next year as Entry requirement for uni's im considering are BBB and BBC which can be achieved :smile:
Thank you for you advice!!
Reply 4
Original post by tssf_skye
Hi :smile: Firstly..don't loose hope! I got my AS results back yesterday and was in a state for a good 5 hours before I saw sense. I got BBCC and was devastated. Then I realised, hey, I didn't revise for English and I'm 6 UMS off a B - i'll boost that, drop my other C and boost one of my B's to an A by working my ass off next year to get ABB.

You can do the same! If you keep that B and work hard to boost Biology to a B. And then retake chem next year? Or, you could try and raise the B to an A, the D to a B and the E to a C = BBB.
This all depends where you were within the boundary, of course in how easy this will be to do. Alternatively you could always resit the year? Are you 100% certain that medicine is for you?

Wow congrats, you should be proud!!! Thanks alot yeah Im gonna get some of my tests remarked as for Biology I was 2 UMS off a B in one of the exams, and for Chemistry I was 1 UMS away from a D in the Unit 2 Paper also 3 UMS away from a D in the Unit 1, if my marks change (hoepfully) they will raise my over all grades to a C for Biology, and a D for chemistry I think! Yeah some entry requirements are BBB and BBC which I think if I just push myself and work hard 24/7 I may be able to achieve it, especially considering that there isn't anything I want to do but MEDICINE lol :biggrin:
Reply 5
Depends how much you want it! End of as i got CC in maths/bio end of A2 I got AA with almost an A* in maths :smile: whilst also pushing up my other 2 a level subjects! Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by Shajada
Wow congrats, you should be proud!!! Thanks alot yeah Im gonna get some of my tests remarked as for Biology I was 2 UMS off a B in one of the exams, and for Chemistry I was 1 UMS away from a D in the Unit 2 Paper also 3 UMS away from a D in the Unit 1, if my marks change (hoepfully) they will raise my over all grades to a C for Biology, and a D for chemistry I think! Yeah some entry requirements are BBB and BBC which I think if I just push myself and work hard 24/7 I may be able to achieve it, especially considering that there isn't anything I want to do but MEDICINE lol :biggrin:

Before you start planning to resit all of these exams remember you don't have any january modules anymore! This means you'll be sitting all of your year 13 exams in June ON TOP of most of your year 12 ones, this could end up being like 10 huge exams in 1 sitting? You say you don't want to resit the year but it may be a much better option for you than trying to do this and flopping all your A-levels rather than starting fresh and making a smart application to universities that allow resitters.
Reply 7
Original post by LCM2
Before you start planning to resit all of these exams remember you don't have any january modules anymore! This means you'll be sitting all of your year 13 exams in June ON TOP of most of your year 12 ones, this could end up being like 10 huge exams in 1 sitting? You say you don't want to resit the year but it may be a much better option for you than trying to do this and flopping all your A-levels rather than starting fresh and making a smart application to universities that allow resitters.

Yes I will decide after talking to my teachers which exams to retake as of course I do not want to flop all of my exams due to having too much to revise for and as for retaking a year, I'm still pretty hesitant about that, because I feel that I may be able to do it if I work harder of course, calculate how many points I will need to raise my Psychology to an A and the rest to Bs etc.
Reply 8
Original post by raveen789
Depends how much you want it! End of as i got CC in maths/bio end of A2 I got AA with almost an A* in maths :smile: whilst also pushing up my other 2 a level subjects! Good luck :biggrin:

Thats great! Yes thank you I am hoping to push my Chem and Biology to Bs and hopefully As if possible by the end of A2 :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Hopeful_medic07
ok so results day didn't really go the way I hoped it would. I got AADD with nearly full marks in both biology and history, 3 ums of a D in maths and a solid D in chemistry, which was a big shock tbh because I thought both subjects had gone very well. is there no chance at all that I can apply to uni this year? I really really really want to do medicine and ive got 6A* 5A's at gcse and a TON of work experience but with those grades can i realistically apply this cycle or do i have to cancel my ukcat and take a gap year any help would be greatly appreciated guys

As you have mentioned you've got a great amount of work exp and great GCSEs so I think you can raise your grade Ds to Bs and maybe even As so I think if you are really sure you want to do Medicine you should go for it! Hopefully Universities do see your potential as you got As almost full marks on two exams and so they will consider that and on top of that you still have A2 exams to top up your over all grades!!

Thats the thing thats keeping me from taking a gap year is that I still have A2 year to complete and raise my grades to atleast Bs and my pschology to an A!
Good luck with what you do!! :smile:
Original post by Shajada

Just to note, it's not the universities which offer BBB/BBC which are the problem. The problem is your competition will be extremely good applicants, many with AAAA and many A*'s at GCSE. I really really recommend you resit the year but I see your mind is made. Good luck :smile:
Original post by Shajada
Hi all,
I got a B in Psychology E in Chemistry and D in Biology for AS not the grades I expected at all :frown: just wanted some advice on what I should do about applying for Medicine, I've been considering Extended Medicine programs as some University entry requirements are BBB and sometimes BBC
Any advice??

Your best bet is getting yourself together during next year and then taking a gap year

Quick Reply

Latest