The Student Room Group

I just received my year 12 mock grades ABB can I still apply for medicine?

I just received my grades today where I got A in psychology, B in Biology and B in Chemistry. I really want to apply for medicine, what do I need to do now to still apply? Can I still apply? I'll be taking the UCAT test in August, in order to do well as my grades are relatively low for medicine, what score should I be aiming for for the UCAT test? Please help
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
Original post by jjojo1_5
I just received my grades today where I got A in psychology, B in Biology and B in Chemistry. I really want to apply for medicine, what do I need to do now to still apply? Can I still apply? I'll be taking the UCAT test in August, in order to do well as my grades are relatively low for medicine, what score should I be aiming for for the UCAT test? Please help

That's what you got in your mocks, but it really depends on what your school predicts you for UCAS. Some schools predict one grade above the end of year mock grades, so if that's the case at your school, you will still have a shot at medicine, assuming all the other aspects of your application are very strong.
Reply 3

So are these your predicted grades? The school should not be basing them on one set of papers ...
Reply 4

So many possible variables there....
Are these your actual predictions? Do you have WP flags? Are there ExCircs?
If neither of the above, then you woul dhave to apply to med schools that do not look at predictions, though they would still make an AAA/A*AA offer.
Always aim for the highest UCAT possible - it would make no sense to aim for 2800, if that was a number given, if you are capable of 3200.
Reply 5
Original post by lalexm
That's what you got in your mocks, but it really depends on what your school predicts you for UCAS. Some schools predict one grade above the end of year mock grades, so if that's the case at your school, you will still have a shot at medicine, assuming all the other aspects of your application are very strong.

Thank you for your reply. I spoke to both my biology and chemistry teachers and it seems as though they will predict me a secure B... so i'm not too sure. It really just seems as though I need to just get my grades up in the coming chapter tests.
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
So are these your predicted grades? The school should not be basing them on one set of papers ...

Yeah they are pretty much my predicted grades
Reply 7
Original post by GANFYD
So many possible variables there....
Are these your actual predictions? Do you have WP flags? Are there ExCircs?
If neither of the above, then you woul dhave to apply to med schools that do not look at predictions, though they would still make an AAA/A*AA offer.
Always aim for the highest UCAT possible - it would make no sense to aim for 2800, if that was a number given, if you are capable of 3200.

Thank you!! do you know any useful tips that I could use in order to prepare for the UCAT. Im currently using this book that I bought from AMAZON and its quite helpful but i've relaised that my main problem with the ucat is the timing.

as longs as your contextual for the unis you will not get in with ABB predicted grades. most applicants will have AAA+ and the deciding factor for interview is then UCAT/BMAT

you could look into some foundation years/gateway to medicine courses
Reply 10
Original post by B7861
as longs as your contextual for the unis you will not get in with ABB predicted grades. most applicants will have AAA+ and the deciding factor for interview is then UCAT/BMAT

Or you apply to those that specifically say they do not consider predicted grades.

That said OP the higher you can get them the safer you will be.

Re UCAT. As it is an online test I really think that online resouces have the edge. Plenty of free stuff on youtube and even samples on the UCAT website. If ok to pay a small subscription then Medify is good and Medentry is rated by many. Read through the pros and cons of each. £30 or so for the last month will really reap benefits for improving your timing.

Practice QR on a numberpad keyboard or a calculator as it can buikd speed / accuracy.

Also join the UCAT thread for support / tips and read the 2023 thread for info.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7328835

Good luck.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 11
I got into medicine with ABB grades at a level. I applied to a a foundation course and would suggest doing that. I also got 2450 on my ucat which is not the best but did get me in.
Reply 12
Original post by LB2403
I got into medicine with ABB grades at a level. I applied to a a foundation course and would suggest doing that. I also got 2450 on my ucat which is not the best but did get me in.

Presumably you met some widening access requirements right, as I did not think foundation courses are open to everyone, and I don't think the OP said that they quality, unless I missed it.
Reply 13
Original post by lalexm
Presumably you met some widening access requirements right, as I did not think foundation courses are open to everyone, and I don't think the OP said that they quality, unless I missed it.

Yes, tbh the grade requirement is BBB at a level and then you must live in the north-west
there are also a few other requirements such as the area you live in being a low quantile area and also the school you went to having a low attainment score etc.

Absolutely! Apply for Medicine with Foundation year if you want too...I mean nothing is definitive until you actually sit your exams, so on results day make sure to call up Medical Schools that you're interested in and let them know if you meet their requirements or even if you're a little off :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending