The Student Room Group

Has anyone else achieved a strangely low grade in General Studies (OCR)?

I got my A level results yesterday and got a B overall in General Studies, however in the Scientific Domain exam I got an E. Someone that I know got a U, and she is literally a straight A person. I'm really beginning to question that this was a mess up but I'm not sure if I'm the only one.
Has anyone else got a low grade in their last General Studies exam?
-I know it's just general studies but it feels good seeing an A on your results paper x]

-I hope you all did well!
Reply 1
Hi, I'm with ocr and last year I got full marks on one paper and a C in the other-I didn't worry at the time as it worked out an A at AS overall. However this year they marked me an E in one paper and a C in another which means my grade is dropped to a B...and I need an A for a university scholarship.
Very annoyed. I mean an E? I'm clearly literate at I was awarded an A* in English Literature!
Might get both remarked. Will cost a lot and they probably won't admit their mistake, but I have to do it for peace of mind.
Just drop general studies, it's worthless anyway.
Reply 3
Original post by CharmQuark
Hi, I'm with ocr and last year I got full marks on one paper and a C in the other-I didn't worry at the time as it worked out an A at AS overall. However this year they marked me an E in one paper and a C in another which means my grade is dropped to a B...and I need an A for a university scholarship.
Very annoyed. I mean an E? I'm clearly literate at I was awarded an A* in English Literature!
Might get both remarked. Will cost a lot and they probably won't admit their mistake, but I have to do it for peace of mind.

Hey, I'm sorry to hear.
Glad I'm not the only one in this. I'd get it remarked if the college is willing to pay for it, if not then I guess it'll have to be as it is. I'm really annoyed about this too, universities look at what you got on each paper too making it even worse.
Have you finished A2?
Reply 4
Original post by L_Vieru
Hey, I'm sorry to hear.
Glad I'm not the only one in this. I'd get it remarked if the college is willing to pay for it, if not then I guess it'll have to be as it is. I'm really annoyed about this too, universities look at what you got on each paper too making it even worse.
Have you finished A2?

No they won't repay. Apparently the school has no money which is nonsense. So I'm going to swallow the £100 or so it's going to cost for a priority remark of the 2 papers.
In past experience, the exam boards rarely like to admit they're wrong with exams like this where there sort of is no right or wrong answer. Sometimes you get inexperienced examiner or purely unintelligent individuals who can't understand the level of intellect at which you write. It's unfair but true (I have a teacher who is a senior examiner).
Finished A2 now for uni in September. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest