The Student Room Group

A2 AQA sociology exam - help!

Hi, I was just wondering the length that the 40-marker question should be? My teacher told my class we need to write 6 main body paragraphs, one on each sociologist, which should be about 4 pages long. I've tried to write that much in the practice papers I'm doing, but I always go over an hour. I think its a bit too much to write, so I was wondering if that is the length expected by examiners?

As well, when it asks for the 12 or 10 mark mini-essay question "Using Item A and elsewhere..." do you actually have to use item A in your answer? I managed to do it for AS, but I don't I'll even have time to read the items this year at this rate.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance!
Reply 1
It's quality not quantity. I wrote about a page and a half/2 pages for the main Religion question and got 70/90, which I was happy with.

Not sure about the Item question, I always made at least a breif reference to it just incase.
Reply 2
for the 8 markers you can get away with writing not that much. Literally describe the point and then illustrate it, do that for the 2 examples/answers and you're laughing! :smile:
Reply 3
I definatly find that since you half an hour and a half for 60 marks, and an 8 mark question litrally takes 5 minutes you time exam like this.

5 mins on 1
15 mins (at the most) on 2
On the essay you can then spend the rest of the exam writing it, leaving enough time for a detailed conclusion, and to proof read the paper (about 5 mins)
Reply 4
Thanks guys, you've really helped. I really hope I can stick to the time!
for the 40 mark question, i tend to twrite 2 and a half sides, my writing gets quite big though towards the end!
Reply 6
I write about 3-4max
Reply 7
I don't know why you a put a max on it....its all positive marking so the more your write the more you have a chance of getting top marks.
Reply 8
^ Oh no I didn't mean you can't write more than that, but for me, I can't write more than 4 pages. If you can write more go for it:biggrin:
Reply 9
LuckySeven
I don't know why you a put a max on it....its all positive marking so the more your write the more you have a chance of getting top marks.

don't you also get marked on the way the essay is structured though? I'msure you do. If you just started writing loads without the paragraphs linking you wouldn't get top marks.
she
don't you also get marked on the way the essay is structured though? I'msure you do. If you just started writing loads without the paragraphs linking you wouldn't get top marks.

you have to evaluate and like assess its usefulness and stuff dont ya! theres like two mark schemes.. one for knowledge and one for evaluation n other stuff
Reply 11
OMG so worried! I'm off to coll now!! Do a post-mortem when we get back :p:

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!! hope we all do well! x

Latest

Trending

Trending