The Student Room Group

Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Kings Medicine Interviews

I am a student from New Zealand, currently in year 13 in hope to apply for medicine at Cambridge, Imperial, UCL and KCL as an international student for the 2014 session.

I believe I have the grades required for these universities (as I'm sure alot of others do as well) and am just wondering what is likely to come up in the interviews for these universities?

What is the interview like at these universities? Will the interview at each of them be more academically focused (like I heard of Cambridge) or more personally focused? Being academically focused, what exactly is asked in a Cambridge Interview?

Thanks in advance for replies and solutions.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Cambridge interviews (along with Oxford) are a bit unique. They will ask science questions, aiming to see how you think and how well you cope with questions you can't answer. The others would be a bit more 'normal'... i'll let others share their experiences though on that.

Wouldn't usually recommend applying to 3 unis that require the BMAT btw - a lot of eggs in one basket given that you take the test after you apply. As an international i can see how maybe your priorities are different, but i'd recommend that you check whether that is a risk you actually want to take.
Reply 2
Thank you for your kind reply.

I have not yet taken the UKCAT and am planning to take it around middle of September, therefore depending on it I may change my choices of universities, however I am quite adamant at this stage as to applying to 3 BMAT institutes.

Thank you for your kind concern and advice.

What kind of science questions do they ask? Are there any examples?

Thanks
My Cambridge interview was very academic. It focused on concepts that I knew from my A-levels, but with added twists that you learn about in med school. They guide you through it. For example, I was given four sets of individual 'challenges' and they went as follows:

1. Draw the structure of the heart, describe blood flow, what's different about blood flow in a baby in the mother's uterus, and it ended on a discussion about holes in the heart.
2. What's a protein, what's an enzyme, what's the structure of a red blood cell (how is it different to normal cells), then there was a discussion about saturation curves and positive cooperation of haemoglobin.
3. What happens at the surface of water, why does this happen, what direction would the force go on a bubble, what is a bubble, what would happen to the bubble, what is an alveolus, what would happen to the alveolus if pressure changes etc (once they gave me a formula) - ended on a discussion about the delivery of premature babies and surfactant lowering surface tension in the lungs
4. What is this a picture of? (was an immunoglobulin), what are the roles of this, deciphering blood groups from an image he showed me

Kings College London is moreso based on your personal statement and an ethics case study they give you just before hand.
Original post by Bomb
I am a student from New Zealand, currently in year 13 in hope to apply for medicine at Cambridge, Imperial, UCL and KCL as an international student for the 2014 session.

I believe I have the grades required for these universities (as I'm sure alot of others do as well) and am just wondering what is likely to come up in the interviews for these universities?

What is the interview like at these universities? Will the interview at each of them be more academically focused (like I heard of Cambridge) or more personally focused? Being academically focused, what exactly is asked in a Cambridge Interview?

Thanks in advance for replies and solutions.
Reply 4
Original post by Coke Or Pepsi
x

That sounds so interesting. I wish I could apply to Cambridge just for the interview
Yeah :smile: I really enjoyed my interview. I really learned something quite cool when I came out of all of them :smile:

Why is it just a 'wish.' Are you not applying?

Original post by star10159
That sounds so interesting. I wish I could apply to Cambridge just for the interview
Reply 6
Yeah :smile: I really enjoyed my interview. I really learned something quite cool when I came out of all of them :smile:

Why is it just a 'wish.' Are you not applying?

unfortunately I haven't got the UMS (90% avg.) + fact that its 6yrs + I'm applying for deferred entry (financial reasons) which they don't like apparently + being an international student (I live in UK but technically I'm International.

the odds are against me thus its too risky. I'm not bothered about prestige, I would love to go to Cambridge for the course though.
Ah that's a real shame :frown: The course is really, really good. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide to do, however :smile: If you need any help with anything, please feel free to inbox me. xx
Original post by star10159
unfortunately I haven't got the UMS (90% avg.) + fact that its 6yrs + I'm applying for deferred entry (financial reasons) which they don't like apparently + being an international student (I live in UK but technically I'm International.

the odds are against me thus its too risky. I'm not bothered about prestige, I would love to go to Cambridge for the course though.
Reply 8
Ah that's a real shame :frown: The course is really, really good. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide to do, however :smile: If you need any help with anything, please feel free to inbox me. xx

Thank you and I will if I have any. :smile:
Original post by Bomb
Thank you for your kind reply.

I have not yet taken the UKCAT and am planning to take it around middle of September, therefore depending on it I may change my choices of universities, however I am quite adamant at this stage as to applying to 3 BMAT institutes.

Thank you for your kind concern and advice.

What kind of science questions do they ask? Are there any examples?

Thanks

applying to 3 bmat unis isnt a bad thing if you do some preparation for the exam. initially i was clueless with it but some help/guidance and i went on a really good course ( www.bmatcrashcourse.com ) and i did p well in the exam to get me into my uni choices.
Reply 10
Original post by Refrigerator
x

Thank you all for the replies. May I ask for example the Imperial interview, I have no idea what a gastric band is, what would I do if something I dont' know come up in the interview?

In terms of the Cambridge one, it does sound very interesting, and just out of curiosity what is the answer to the breast cancer rate question?

I am thinking of two possible methods, firstly, though highly doubtful its just 90% as since she has undertake the test, and it is 90% accurate, there is simply a 90% chance she would really be positive, and thus ignoring the first part of the question.

However, I think we can also say that the woman fits two categories, both having breast cancer and being diagnosed of it. Thus, so say there were a total of 100 forty year old women, 10 of them would in reality have breast cancer. However, only 9 of them would be diagnosed. In the other 90 who does not have breast cancer, since the test is only 90% correct, 90x0.1 = 9 of them would have been wrongly diagnosed. So theoretically, a total of 18 out of the 100 would be diagnosed, where 9 really has breast cancer and the other 9 doesn't. Thus, is the chance of a women in her situation to really have breast cancer 50%?

These are just my humble opinions and are probably wrong, as I was never great at math, how did you answer it?

Thanks again for the reply!
(edited 10 years ago)
I know someone who applied to those unis, they didn't get a single interview. I think you're being plain reckless with those choices but I'm sure you won't listen to me so you better take the BMAT seriously.
Reply 12

In general, if something you "don't know" comes up in the interview, you say "I don't know but I could guess and say ...". In the cambridge interview, they asked me the definition of "probity" - I said no idea, but i guess it's something to do with (cant remember what i said, it was completely irrelevant), but the guy just said "no its the moral principles of being a doctor".

Thanks for the advice! I will just say I don't know if I'm not sure, as I guess a stupid answer acting like I know would be worse than admitting that I don't.

And for the cambridge question, yes the answer is 50%. Your line of reasoning is what I said practically word for word. I first thought out loud that it can't be 90% because that's too easy, and then said "hmm okay so if we start with 100 people" and the guy said "yep thats right" and took it from there. Follow up question: when designing a screening test, what do you want to reduce as much as possible? The number of false positives or the number of false negatives?

Yea, for you you did it in under the pressure of the interview, and that is just spectacular!

Spoiler

Nice argument!

I'm afraid I can't agree with this. If we're going by that logic, I applied to those exact unis and got all 4 interviews... it really depends on how good your grades are, and I'm sure Bomb wouldn't be thinking about it if his GCSEs and AS were bad :smile:

In New Zealand we only start IGCSE at year 11, so I only have six subjects, but I have emailed the universities and they said its fine. Imperial says they don't look at IGCSE, instead only A levels for international students. Cambridge and UCL says they only require certain IGCSE like science A*s which is the only ones I have (only have a mere six subjects). I have taken some A levels early so I have actual results for some subjects, though I'm not sure how much use it really is.

Having said that, an application of this sort depends on you not screwing up your BMAT, and ideally doing very well in it. If I might make a shameless plug, some friends and I are running a one-day BMAT course at various points in September (details in my signature). You should check that out :smile:

I will have a look at it, thank you for all of your replies, they are extremely helpful in terms of the advice and also your interview experience is invaluable to me! The help you provided me is definitely more than you expect!

Thank you so much! :smile:
Reply 13
I've had interviews at Imperial, UCL and King's and they were all slightly different from each other

Unlike a lot of other people, my Imperial interview was quite hard. They asked me some questions you would expect at a medical school interview (for example, why medicine, about teamwork, communication) but also quizzed me a LOT on health economics as I did Economics for A level. The lead interviewer challenged everything I said and tried to pick holes in my answers, particularly when I gave my suggestions on how to solve obesity and smoking - at one point, he said that my idea would result in me killing all poor people in the country (which, of course, threw me considering the pressure of the interview situation). I think they were just trying to see how well I could justify my ideas though

UCL also asked me some stuff about health economics but not to the same degree as at Imperial, and the interview felt less of an interrogation compared to Imperial. In general, I enjoyed this interview the most out of them all. At the start there were a few normal questions - the standard why medicine, pros/cons of being a doctor, communication. There were some challenging questions asked but they led into these questions quite well and it felt more like a discussion rather than an interview. They also asked stuff about my BMAT essay - what I thought could have been improved and then asked me to explore a few things I said in my essay a bit further.

My King's interview was hard - the interviewers really grilled me hard and challenged pretty everything I said. They also picked out small details in my personal statement and asked me a lot of questions about it. They make interviewees sign a document saying that we cant discuss the content of the interviews so unfortunately that is all I can give you

Overall, I would say that interview experiences can be variable at all three universities. Almost everyone I talked to about the Imperial interview said that it wasn't too bad, and even the people on my interview day said that most of the interviews were OK. Maybe I was just unlucky and got a harsh panel? The story was similar at King's - lots of people said that the interview was okay but again, I must have got the harsh panel on that day. At UCL, some people said that their interviews were really hard whereas others said that it was okay.

Therefore, be prepared to face a hard interview - even though others may have had a slightly more relaxed one, you may get a hard one!
Reply 14
Original post by im7
I've had interviews at Imperial, UCL and King's and they were all slightly different from each other

Unlike a lot of other people, my Imperial interview was quite hard. They asked me some questions you would expect at a medical school interview (for example, why medicine, about teamwork, communication) but also quizzed me a LOT on health economics as I did Economics for A level. The lead interviewer challenged everything I said and tried to pick holes in my answers, particularly when I gave my suggestions on how to solve obesity and smoking - at one point, he said that my idea would result in me killing all poor people in the country (which, of course, threw me considering the pressure of the interview situation). I think they were just trying to see how well I could justify my ideas though

UCL also asked me some stuff about health economics but not to the same degree as at Imperial, and the interview felt less of an interrogation compared to Imperial. In general, I enjoyed this interview the most out of them all. At the start there were a few normal questions - the standard why medicine, pros/cons of being a doctor, communication. There were some challenging questions asked but they led into these questions quite well and it felt more like a discussion rather than an interview. They also asked stuff about my BMAT essay - what I thought could have been improved and then asked me to explore a few things I said in my essay a bit further.

My King's interview was hard - the interviewers really grilled me hard and challenged pretty everything I said. They also picked out small details in my personal statement and asked me a lot of questions about it. They make interviewees sign a document saying that we cant discuss the content of the interviews so unfortunately that is all I can give you

Overall, I would say that interview experiences can be variable at all three universities. Almost everyone I talked to about the Imperial interview said that it wasn't too bad, and even the people on my interview day said that most of the interviews were OK. Maybe I was just unlucky and got a harsh panel? The story was similar at King's - lots of people said that the interview was okay but again, I must have got the harsh panel on that day. At UCL, some people said that their interviews were really hard whereas others said that it was okay.

Therefore, be prepared to face a hard interview - even though others may have had a slightly more relaxed one, you may get a hard one!

Ahh! Thank you for kindly sharing your experience with me. I will first begin with preparing for the standard interview questions, as they seem to come out often at these three universities!

I will look forward to the worse I guess, there is no guarantee as you said that I will be lucky enough to get a relatively relaxed interview!

Thanks again for your reply

P.S. I also saw on your profile that you received an offer from UCL, Imperial and Kings! I believe that means you coped quite well at the hard interviews!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Refrigerator
A gastric band is this band thing they wrap around the stomach to make it artificially "smaller" - I didn't actually know this at the time of the interview though. The gastric band was something I brought up myself (with regards to the obesity ethical question) because I'd heard about it on the news somewhere (though in hindsight, this was a bad idea, as I didn't know wtf it actually was).

In general, if something you "don't know" comes up in the interview, you say "I don't know but I could guess and say ...". In the cambridge interview, they asked me the definition of "probity" - I said no idea, but i guess it's something to do with (cant remember what i said, it was completely irrelevant), but the guy just said "no its the moral principles of being a doctor".

And for the cambridge question, yes the answer is 50%. Your line of reasoning is what I said practically word for word. I first thought out loud that it can't be 90% because that's too easy, and then said "hmm okay so if we start with 100 people" and the guy said "yep thats right" and took it from there. Follow up question: when designing a screening test, what do you want to reduce as much as possible? The number of false positives or the number of false negatives?

Spoiler

I'm afraid I can't agree with this. If we're going by that logic, I applied to those exact unis and got all 4 interviews... it really depends on how good your grades are, and I'm sure Bomb wouldn't be thinking about it if his GCSEs and AS were bad :smile:

Having said that, an application of this sort depends on you not screwing up your BMAT, and ideally doing very well in it. If I might make a shameless plug, some friends and I are running a one-day BMAT course at various points in September (details in my signature). You should check that out :smile:

It basically comes down to your BMAT score and the vast majority don't get high enough scores to make the cut. To risk everything on a test you haven't sat before applying that is completely different to anything you've done before is completely reckless and slightly arrogant in my opinion. When I applied my priorities were getting in and that's why I got four offers, if you put prestige and how impressed your parents friends will be before your prospects of actually getting in then it's probably not the right career for you. I don't need to check it out thanks.
Original post by Hippokrates
It basically comes down to your BMAT score and the vast majority don't get high enough scores to make the cut. To risk everything on a test you haven't sat before applying that is completely different to anything you've done before is completely reckless and slightly arrogant in my opinion. When I applied my priorities were getting in and that's why I got four offers, if you put prestige and how impressed your parents friends will be before your prospects of actually getting in then it's probably not the right career for you. I don't need to check it out thanks.

Although I will agree with you in that I also think it's slightly reckless to apply to more than two BMAT universities - for the same reason you've given - I think it's wrong to assume that people who do take the risk are arrogant or applying to those universities based on prestige.
Some people may see it as a risk worth taking if they really like the unis that happen to take the BMAT and are willing to take it; particularly if they don't mind taking a gap year (and are aware it's a real possibility) if it goes tits up.
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Although I will agree with you in that I also think it's slightly reckless to apply to more than two BMAT universities - for the same reason you've given - I think it's wrong to assume that people who do take the risk are arrogant or applying to those universities based on prestige.
Some people may see it as a risk worth taking if they really like the unis that happen to take the BMAT and are willing to take it; particularly if they don't mind taking a gap year (and are aware it's a real possibility) if it goes tits up.

I'm sure all of them aren't but the ones I've met are, unfortunately they're also usually the ones with the least work experience or knowledge of medicine and just think their grades will get them in anywhere. Maybe I'm just slightly annoyed because the previously mentioned person who applied to three BMAT unis decided he was definitely (the was no doubt in his mind whatsoever) going to be a doctor/ astronaut.
I'm sure all of them aren't but the ones I've met are, unfortunately they're also usually the ones with the least work experience or knowledge of medicine and just think their grades will get them in anywhere. Maybe I'm just slightly annoyed because the previously mentioned person who applied to three BMAT unis decided he was definitely (the was no doubt in his mind whatsoever) going to be a doctor/ astronaut.

I've come across people like that, too.
One of them was in my year at school and also had to take a gap year - however, despite this, he still seemed to think that his grades could get him into anywhere. Didn't seem to realise he'd had to take a gap year in the first place for a reason... (in both our cases, it was applying to the wrong places.) I learnt from the previous year's mistakes but he, er, didn't and got 4 rejections again.

He did apply to a BMAT uni, but only the one (Cambridge). Funnily enough, the rest of his unis were PBL so perhaps prestige was a factor in that choice :rolleyes: But I don't think arrogant applications are made only to the BMAT universities - in fact, it's so heavily discouraged (applying to >2 BMATs), I'd say people tend to be more arrogant about the strengths of their PS :tongue:
Reply 19

Thanks for your replies. I have decided to apply those universities as being an international student I have always loved and admired them (As an international student I also have to consider other issues such as fees, travel issues etc). In no way do I think my grades would get me anywhere, in fact I'm even doubting if it will get me even somewhere. However, I do want to try to get into one of my dreamed universities.

I will prepare for the BMAT to the best I can.

Furthermore, my IGCSE grades are to be honest bad (I only have 6 IGCSE). These universities I am applying to for international students put less emphasis on IGCSE (in fact Imperial told me that they only look at A levels and not IGCSE for international applicants).

Thus, I believe, on top of my personal interest and admiration for these universities, these are also the more likely ones (despite still very unlikely) that I have even a slight chance to get into medicine in the UK.

Thank You
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending